Just off the Jewel June 23rd - quick review

auntierobin

We just got off the Jewel yesterday and I wanted to post a quick review today (we are still in Seattle), and I will post a lengthier one when I get home. This was our 3rd trip to Alaska, second on the Jewel.

First and most importantly - Captain Lars is back on board!! He signed back on June 16th, that was a great and welcome surprise. Hugo is still a Rock Star among Hotel Directors, the ship was sparkling and running as smoothly as I have ever seen her. The food was good, we had 4 people traveling with us who have never sailed before and are foodies who enjoyed everything they ate. We ate in Tsars one night, Cagneys,

LeBistro, Chin Chin, Garden Cafe, and the other two nights were kind of hit and miss in between activities. Not one complaint.

Embarkation and Debarkation - on the 16th we walked over from the hotel about 10:30 checked in and were on the ship at 11:00, did not even have time to sit down. We were in a suite so we had priority, but friends that we were traveling with us were not and were joining us at the Great Outdoors for a drink before we had even had a chance to order ours. The cabins were ready at 1:30 on the nose. The whole process could not have gone more smoothly. The 23rd was even faster than the 16th - we disembarked at 8:10 and were in our hotel room by 8:40. They certainly have the procedure down pat.

Alaska - Not a drop of rain, Ketchikan and Juneau cloudy, but no rain and in the high 50's or low 60's. Skagway - sunny and 70. And for the icing on the cake we went up Tracy Arm and got to see the Sawyer glaciers.

IMHO Captain Lars brought the good weather with him for one week when he signed on, LOL, because it was raining like crazy when they departed for Alaska yesterday.

All of the excursions were great and I would highly recommend them. I will discuss them in my full review. If anyone has any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Seattle Marriott Waterfront - when I get home I will post a picture so everyone can see exactly what I mean - across the street. In the morning a bellman will take your luggage over on a bellcart and after disembarkation the porters will bring your luggage back to the hotel.

We just got off the Jewel yesterday and I wanted to post a quick review today (we are still in Seattle), and I will post a lengthier one when I get home. This was our 3rd trip to Alaska, second on the Jewel.

First and most importantly - Captain Lars is back on board!! He signed back on June 16th, that was a great and welcome surprise. Hugo is still a Rock Star among Hotel Directors, the ship was sparkling and running as smoothly as I have ever seen her. The food was good, we had 4 people traveling with us who have never sailed before and are foodies who enjoyed everything they ate. We ate in Tsars one night, Cagneys,

LeBistro, Chin Chin, Garden Cafe, and the other two nights were kind of hit and miss in between activities. Not one complaint.

Embarkation and Debarkation - on the 16th we walked over from the hotel about 10:30 checked in and were on the ship at 11:00, did not even have time to sit down. We were in a suite so we had priority, but friends that we were traveling with us were not and were joining us at the Great Outdoors for a drink before we had even had a chance to order ours. The cabins were ready at 1:30 on the nose. The whole process could not have gone more smoothly. The 23rd was even faster than the 16th - we disembarked at 8:10 and were in our hotel room by 8:40. They certainly have the procedure down pat.

Alaska - Not a drop of rain, Ketchikan and Juneau cloudy, but no rain and in the high 50's or low 60's. Skagway - sunny and 70. And for the icing on the cake we went up Tracy Arm and got to see the Sawyer glaciers.

IMHO Captain Lars brought the good weather with him for one week when he signed on, LOL, because it was raining like crazy when they departed for Alaska yesterday.

All of the excursions were great and I would highly recommend them. I will discuss them in my full review. If anyone has any questions do not hesitate to ask.

The Jewel is my favorite! Captn Lars rocks! He is a Harley guy. Hugo is the best! I hope all of them are there when we board in January.

Seattle Marriott Waterfront - when I get home I will post a picture so everyone can see exactly what I mean - across the street. In the morning a bellman will take your luggage over on a bellcart and after disembarkation the porters will bring your luggage back to the hotel.

Glad to hear you had great weather and a wonderful time! Please post those Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier photos...especially for those of us who sailed before you and got to enjoy Endicott Arm and the Dawes Glacier instead ;)

We also loved the Waterfront Marriott...okay maybe not so much the prices, but the convenience and the excitement of seeing the lovely Jewel right outside was fantastic.

100_0419.jpg

Here everyone can see the corner of our hotel and the little marina and Pier 66 and our ship. This photo taken from the ramp above the elevator that bypasses those odious Hill Climb steps...all 5 zillion of 'em :p

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the short positive review. we usually cruise with Celebrity or RCI but have never cruised on NCL before. we are just about to book the Jewel for next year so any information about the ship will be gratefully received by me. :D

We leave on the Jewel THIS SATURDAY! We are also staying in the Marriott Waterfront. Nice to hear that we can go over early and get on the ship. I love spending all afternoon exploring on board. It's like having an extra day of vacation :)

Hopefully Captain Lars can bring out the nice weather again!

Archived