What do you recommend to read?

Sunebeach

Loved Skinny Dip!

For Alaska the Sue Henry mysteries are great. I read them all in order. They give a great background on the iditarod and some great historical background on the gold rush and settlement of Alaska. The history is woven into the mysteries. Entertaining!

For Africa I read the #1 Ladies Detective Agency... more for the background and setting than for historical content although there was some cultural background. It takes place in Botswana.

I also love the Forensic Science writers: Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell and my most recent favorite Beverly Connor.

For real mysteries I like James Patterson and Tess Garritsen.

For quick easy romance (sweet not sultry) I like Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove series and Sheryl Woods' Chesapeake Shores series.

Right now on my Kindle Fire I have 7 books loaded and another 5-6 on my ipod that I listen to while I walk. On the ship the audio books are good b/c you can listen and still watch the ocean and/or people watch at the same time!:)

Now, what should I read for my prep for Panama Canal?

• 2 months later...

For anybody searching out easy to read, quick mysteries aboard cruise-ships, the Conrad Allen books are a good way to go.

In order:

Murder on the Lusitania

Murder on the Mauretania

Murder on the Minnesota

Murder on the Caronia

Murder on the Marmora

Murder on the Salsette

Murder on the Oceanic

Murder on the Celtic

I had heard somewhere that the series was to conclude aboard the Titanic, but now I can't confirm that, and I cannot find where I read that.

I am deep into the Alan Lewrie sailing adventures by Dewey Lambdin. They set in the same era as the Hornblower novels (another great series, and also excellent to read aboard ship!).

I believe the first three Lambdin books are available on Nook for $.99 each.

The Hornblower stories by Forrester I have reread countless times over the last 30 years.

A great nonfiction book would be "The Last Stand of the Tin-can Sailers", about a WWII battle in the Pacific between US Destroyers and Japanese Battleships and Cruisers - absolutely riveting.

I also check out two websites to keep track of the books I have read and which ones are coming out next. They also give recommendations on similiar reads, etc.

stopyourekillingme.com is for mystery books - can look up by author or character name.

fictfact.com is the way to keep track of book series that you have read.

also have a nook and love it, can download kindle app for computer and read books off of computer as well.

Con Tiki by Thor Heyerdal. Real and spell binding. Great photos also. Everything starting with building the balsa wood raft thru their sailing with the wind and currents to Easter Island. :cool:

Good call! Read that when it first came out. As a long time mariner and one time captain I was in awe of his exploits. Alas, it's not available for Kindle.

I also check out two websites to keep track of the books I have read and which ones are coming out next. They also give recommendations on similiar reads, etc.

stopyourekillingme.com is for mystery books - can look up by author or character name.

fictfact.com is the way to keep track of book series that you have read.

also have a nook and love it, can download kindle app for computer and read books off of computer as well.

Goodreads is another site to keep track of books and if you have a smart phone you can scan the bar codes on the book to add it to your read or to read shelf.

Archived