What do you recommend to read?

Sunebeach

I like John Sanford’s "Prey" series. 28 books plus or minus. Features a law enforcement officer (detective) from Minneapolis and his career through the years. Some spinoff books from “Prey” characters. Do not have to start from the first book. Can pick up any and can stand alone.

DDWW

I must be the oddball in the bunch, because nearly all of my reading is non-fiction, mostly history. If anyone here is interested in that side of things, as related to ships, I would recommend The Only Way to Cross by John Maxtone-Graham. The subtitle pretty well explains what it's about: "The Golden Era of the Great Atlantic Express Liners -- from the Mauretania to the France and the Queen Elizabeth 2."

And, of course, there are plenty of Titanic books to choose from!

I must be the oddball in the bunch, because nearly all of my reading is non-fiction, mostly history. If anyone here is interested in that side of things, as related to ships, I would recommend The Only Way to Cross by John Maxtone-Graham. The subtitle pretty well explains what it's about: "The Golden Era of the Great Atlantic Express Liners -- from the Mauretania to the France and the Queen Elizabeth 2."

JMG is a frequent lecturer on Princess and possibly other lines. We have seen him several times. Hi sbooks are very good and his talks are better.

Sounds like we have very similar tastes. I agree with you, it's all about loving the characters.

I was thinking the same thing when I read your recommendations.

I am adding Matched and Withered to my list!

My sister took me to too many vampire and zombie movies when I was a kid, and I have a hard time reading stories about them.

What a great question! Stephen King's Book 11/22/63 about time travel to stop the Kennedy assassination is very engaging. Just downloaded a bunch of under $10. novels for the cruise. I teach English, so I want nonsense for a week. Also love Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series. The Night Circus was also great. Ann Patchett's Bel Canto was tremendous, but it is from a few years back. David Sedaris is also nonfiction, but, like Bill Bryson, is a terrific essayist.

Did you know there is a new Odd Thomas book coming out in July? I have it pre-ordered for my Kindle. There are also three short Odd Interlude short stories available now to bridge the Gap. I love these stories!

For anyone anticipating a cruise in the Med. that includes Venice, I recommend Donna Leon's Brunetti mystery series. He is a comissario in the Questura in Venice, and has lots of opinions about the gov't, etc. Very entertaining, and he walks you all over Venice. They are all available for Kindle.

Another interesting book for someone who is going to the Eastern Med/Holy Land, etc. is one recommended on the Carnival board because it had Cruise in the title, and was a free Kindle download. It is by Albert Bigelow Paine, The Ship Dwellers, A Story of a Happy Cruise. I don't think they had read the description when they recommended it, because the actual cruise was in 1909, and the book was published in 1910! But it is very entertaining, and some things haven't changed in 100+ years.

Mr. Paine was inspired by childhood reading of Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad (which is also a free download) and he went on to write a multi-volume biography of Twain. He continually compares his experiences with those of Twain's characters...EM

Here's my list of favorite authors, which tends to run to mysteries and action adventure thriller stuff..

First of all, try any book by Wilbur Smith and you'll be hooked if you like historical fiction..I'd recommend starting with Birds of Prey, followed by Monsoon and Blue Horizon

other authors I enjoy are some previously mentioned, David Baldacci, Nelson DeMille, Ken Follett, Robert Parker and John Sandford

others are

Lee Child

Brad Thor

William Kent Krueger

Randy Wayne White

Clive Cussler

John Hart

WEB Griffin

Stuart Woods

Vince Flynn

Sara Paretsky

John D McDonald

Jack Higgins

Frederick Forsythe

Robert Ludlum

For anyone anticipating a cruise in the Med. that includes Venice, I recommend Donna Leon's Brunetti mystery series. He is a comissario in the Questura in Venice, and has lots of opinions about the gov't, etc. Very entertaining, and he walks you all over Venice. They are all available for Kindle.

thanks for this suggestion! Sounds perfect for Venice.

Pillars was one of my all time favs. World Without End was good, but I can see myself re-re-re-reading Pillars (I've read it 2 or 3 times already), but don't think I'll re-read World.

Game of Thrones I am currently re-reading the first, read through the series already, but watching season 2 has me wanting to get in deep.

I've loved Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, but my fav was Outlander.

Also complicated, but great for long flights is the Robert Jordan series Wheel of Time. My son (who was a teen and going on a whitewater rafting trip as his high school graduation present and is now a married professional with 2 children, lol) and I got hooked on him way back. Jordan wrote the first 10 in the series before he died, and Brandon Sanderson? has completed 2 more with a third and last one in progress, from Jordan's notes.

In common with Thrones and Outlander and Pillars, there are beloved characters - Arya Stark and Jon Snow and Dani (for me), Jaime and Claire, and definitely Tom the Builder. Jordan has Rand al'Thor and Matrim and Perrin and Egwene and Elayne and Moiraine and Lan and Nynaeve (just to give you a clue how memorable these characters are, the last time I read it was around December 2010 and I feel like I would know these characters if I met them on the street - like Scarlett O'Hara or Jo March).

for lighter reading, I love Harlan Coben's books - murder mysteries - the Myron Bolitar one's are my favs, can be read in any order, although the characters cross series.

Lawrence Block is another interesting read - I love his Matthew Scudder series and his John Keller Hit Men series - anyone who can make you empathize with a hit man has to be a great story teller.

I am planning to re-read a book called The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge as soon as I finish the Thrones books, in preparation for our upcoming Med cruise. It's historical fiction about the Roman conquest of Briton, beginning in AD 32. At some point in the book some of the characters go to Rome and for me, it's how I generate my own interest in where I am going. Gedge's book and Gabaldon's Outlander drove my decisions on what to see and where to go in London - had to see Boudicca's statue, LOL and had to walk the walls of Chester and Scotland - Culloden Moor was another MUST.

I am curious to see what will be added to my must see list for Rome.

There is nothing bad to read on a cruise, but dh is grateful that I now bring most of my books on my Kindle. When we did 17 days through the Panama Canal to San Francisco I brought 17 books with me, read them all, exchanged 2 with a friend and read her 2, switched 2 paperbacks in the library on the "take me shelf" and then bought the just released Jean Auel Shelters of Stone for the plane ride home.

Don't know if you know or not, but George R.R. Martin has been writing a series of short stories that take place about 100 years before the Game of Thrones story. So far 3 have been released. I enjoyed them quite a bit - it was nice being back in Westeros :)

Reading good books about the places you are visiting is a great thing to do! It really gives you insight into the area.

For example, we're going to cruise Alaska. Dana Stabenow is a well-known mystery writer in Alaska settings and she has several books. These all give insight of what it's like to live in Alaska.

Caribbean--I found these popular ones through Amazon --typed "caribbean" in the listmania section. I haven't read these, but what about

A House for Mr. Biswas by Naipaul. (fiction)

Azucar: The Story of Sugar by Cambiera (fictional)

Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk (tickle your funnybone, Caribbean-style)

Hurricanes & Hangovers: and other tall tales and loose lies from the coconut telegraph by Dear Miss Mermaid (16 stories of madness & mayhem)

Stormy Weather by Carl Hiaasen

If these can't be had, then read something memorable, not just plain junk. Then you will always remember it. Myself--reading Asimov's Foundation Trilogy as a teen when we visited Las Vegas. King Solomon's Mines as a young teen when we were at Yellowstone. The Once & Future King while in Britain.

Don't know if you know or not, but George R.R. Martin has been writing a series of short stories that take place about 100 years before the Game of Thrones story. So far 3 have been released. I enjoyed them quite a bit - it was nice being back in Westeros :)

I didn't know that!

Thanks! Now I have to see if my son knew and was holding out on me, LOL. I'm up to re-reading Book 2 of Game of Thrones. Was surprised as some of the differences between the book and the tv series - small. I think the one character who got the short end in the series has been Sansa. But overall, the tv people have done a great job.

If you're an oddball, then I'm right there with ya'! I barely read fiction anymore- I find that real life can be far more interesting, and I always have the latest political tell-all on hand.

Okay, this thread has slowed down a bit, so I'll post to bring it back to the top of the boards again...need some new ideas still...

Also, wanted to ask opinions on Kindle or Nook...I'm a die hard fan of a 'real book' so I haven't really considered a book reader, but I can see advantages of this for cruise/travel...takes up less space etc, and when finished with a book you can just download another and wala, you're back in business...but how about the battery life, readability in all weather conditions/bright sun etc...plus afraid of dropping/getting it wet etc.

Want to hear back from those who have them/like or hate them...before I spend money on one and regret it.

Okay, this thread has slowed down a bit, so I'll post to bring it back to the top of the boards again...need some new ideas still...

Also, wanted to ask opinions on Kindle or Nook...I'm a die hard fan of a 'real book' so I haven't really considered a book reader, but I can see advantages of this for cruise/travel...takes up less space etc, and when finished with a book you can just download another and wala, you're back in business...but how about the battery life, readability in all weather conditions/bright sun etc...plus afraid of dropping/getting it wet etc.

Want to hear back from those who have them/like or hate them...before I spend money on one and regret it.

I have had my Kindle for a little over 2 years and I love it. Have not read a "real book" since. My co worker has the Nook and after seeing hers I prefer the Kindle. Lots for free books for the Kindle. I can read my Kindle in the bright sunlight with no problems at all. The Kindle Fire is nice but you can't use it in bright light. Most people put their Kindle in a zip lock bag if worried about getting it wet. I currently have just over 300 books on my Kindle and that is just a fraction of what it will hold. Depending on how much I read or if I have the 3G on much I charge it about every two weeks or so. My phone charger fits it so I usually take that with me and then I can charge either unit. Oh and another great thing about the Kindle is that support team is the best around. Hope this helps you decide on a Kindle. You will love it!

I am on my second Kindle. Nothing was wrong with my Kindle2 but I wanted a Touch and my mother was thrilled to inherit my old one. My Touch, even in a leather case, is feather light and will hold 3000 or more books. When traveling, there is no need to download a new one, you can simply just open a new book and start reading.

I fought the whole e-reader idea for a long time, but once I gave in I never looked back. I am never without something to read, standing in line or waiting for an appointment.

The Kindle is great for reading in sunlight and the e-ink is like reading paper. Honestly, the device disappears once you start reading

You can buy a Kindle for as little as $79

On the subject of Books ---- here in the U.K. people are going crazy for 50 Shades of Grey by E.L.James

It is a Trilogy with 50 Shades of Grey as no1

50 Shades Darker as No 2

50 Shades Freed as no 3

I haven't read them yet as I'm saving them for my holiday but from what I can gather there is Romance, Passion & Intrique. It really must be good as all the stores near me have run out of the 1st book!

On the subject of Books ---- here in the U.K. people are going crazy for 50 Shades of Grey by E.L.James

It is a Trilogy with 50 Shades of Grey as no1

50 Shades Darker as No 2

50 Shades Freed as no 3

I haven't read them yet as I'm saving them for my holiday but from what I can gather there is Romance, Passion & Intrique. It really must be good as all the stores near me have run out of the 1st book!

I've read all three of them already and they were great. I like the characters and romance of it...yes they were 'hott' behind closed doors, and a bit kinky...but those who read romance and tell you they really don't want to read what goes on behind those closed doors is LYING to you!!! LOL...:cool::rolleyes:

Might start looking into the Kindle...I like the idea of the touch...?

I don't what county you live in, but in Boone County, the library loans out both Nooks and Kindles for three weeks at a time. I I used the nook. I can see how it would be great on a cruise, especially if you are a fast reader.

Now that I am seriously looking into this, which I never thought I would, I like the options of the Kindle fire. Who out there has one? Is it worth the extra expense? A friend of mine suggested an iPad, but I don't think I am iPad material? I understand with the Kindle fire, I can check my email, and watch movies on it...but I doubt I'd do much more than that, but you never know...it would be nice to have the options...and in COLOR. The prime membership from Amazon for 79$/year looks to be worth it, especially considering that I spend that much or more per year buying paperbacks and novels...and occationally a magazine to read during flights etc.

I also learned that the Kindle fire 2 is to be realeased in August, so prices might be coming down for the 1st edition...might be worth it to wait a bit, as long as I can get it before my Ocotober cruise, I should be fine. Lol...

I will also be upgrading my cell phone and was looking at the EVO, an android phone and from what I read on Amazon, the prime membership will also allow you to download books onto your phone. The 4.5 inch screen would make reading abit of a strain though I think for my 'old eyes'. I like that the Kindle allows you to increase the font size and you can read in landscape view as well as regular view. I also worry that, if I went that route, the phone's memory would not allow me to put too much 'reading' material on it...I'd rather have music files.

The Kidle fire also allows me to listen to Pandora, which I love, but worry that if I listen while on board ship I'll face wireless charges? Does anyone know how that works?

Decisions....decisions...

Appreciate my CC friends input on helping me make an informed consumer decision.:rolleyes:

I thought seriously about the Fire but decided against it. (I do have an iPad and love it, but not for reading)

When I read, I read for HOURS on end. The Fire is backlit which is much harder and more fatiguing on the eyes. It weighs quite a bit more than the Kindle readers too so would be harder to hold in your hand to read for any length of time.

Now that I am seriously looking into this, which I never thought I would, I like the options of the Kindle fire. Who out there has one? Is it worth the extra expense? A friend of mine suggested an iPad, but I don't think I am iPad material? I understand with the Kindle fire, I can check my email, and watch movies on it...but I doubt I'd do much more than that, but you never know...it would be nice to have the options...and in COLOR. The prime membership from Amazon for 79$/year looks to be worth it, especially considering that I spend that much or more per year buying paperbacks and novels...and occationally a magazine to read during flights etc.

I also learned that the Kindle fire 2 is to be realeased in August, so prices might be coming down for the 1st edition...might be worth it to wait a bit, as long as I can get it before my Ocotober cruise, I should be fine. Lol...

I will also be upgrading my cell phone and was looking at the EVO, an android phone and from what I read on Amazon, the prime membership will also allow you to download books onto your phone. The 4.5 inch screen would make reading abit of a strain though I think for my 'old eyes'. I like that the Kindle allows you to increase the font size and you can read in landscape view as well as regular view. I also worry that, if I went that route, the phone's memory would not allow me to put too much 'reading' material on it...I'd rather have music files.

The Kidle fire also allows me to listen to Pandora, which I love, but worry that if I listen while on board ship I'll face wireless charges? Does anyone know how that works?

Appreciate my CC friends input on helping me make an informed consumer decision.:rolleyes:

There was another thread here about the Kindle - after reading it all I decided I need both the Fire and a regular Kindle! The Kindle Fire is back-lit which can be read in low/no light ie bed with light's off, is color which is great for online content, we are going to Europe and many guidebooks are available in E form so color is great there as well.

The regular Kindle which has the E ink can be read in full sunlight - nice for by the pool!

My solution was to the fire as gift from son and buy a regular Kindle on Craig's list! I can sync the books on them so I switch back & forth at will and still keep my place in my current book.

It will be a great help as I normally carry many heavy guide books on European trips.

You do need an internet connection for Pandora, so you would have to pay for the ships wireless. :eek:

I would stick to an e-ink reader if you plan on reading outdoors. I have an ipad (along with kindle and nook apps) and adore it, but it is nearly worthless in direct sunlight, so I bought a Nook last year.

If I were to purchase one now, I would seriously consider the new Nook Simple Touch with glowlight. Its an e-ink reader with a "glowlight" so you can also read in the dark.

I got a Nook Color last year and have read probably close to 200 books in that time! No, I can't read it in sunlight while wearing sunglasses (which sucks). If I have the wi-fi on, it sucks the battery life and I find myself recharging every night. But I do LOVE my Nook Color!

As far as books to read:

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. The last 3 or 4 have been a little disappointing, but the first dozen or so were so laugh out loud funny! I was laughing so hard while reading one of them, I was crying and the construction crew behind me stopped to stare at me wondering what was so funny!

Marie Force's McCarthy's of Gansett Island. It's somewhat predictable but oh so hot and steamy! I just started reading her "Treading Water Series".

Lauren Dane's Chase Brothers Series. Again a hot and steamy read and somewhat predictable.

Gemma Halliday's High Heels Mystery Series. A little touch of Stephanie Plum with some romance thrown in.

Archived