What do you recommend to read?

Sunebeach

Now that I am seriously looking into this, which I never thought I would, I like the options of the Kindle fire. Who out there has one? Is it worth the extra expense? A friend of mine suggested an iPad, but I don't think I am iPad material? I understand with the Kindle fire, I can check my email, and watch movies on it...but I doubt I'd do much more than that, but you never know...it would be nice to have the options...and in COLOR. The prime membership from Amazon for 79$/year looks to be worth it, especially considering that I spend that much or more per year buying paperbacks and novels...and occationally a magazine to read during flights etc.

I also learned that the Kindle fire 2 is to be realeased in August, so prices might be coming down for the 1st edition...might be worth it to wait a bit, as long as I can get it before my Ocotober cruise, I should be fine. Lol...

I will also be upgrading my cell phone and was looking at the EVO, an android phone and from what I read on Amazon, the prime membership will also allow you to download books onto your phone. The 4.5 inch screen would make reading abit of a strain though I think for my 'old eyes'. I like that the Kindle allows you to increase the font size and you can read in landscape view as well as regular view. I also worry that, if I went that route, the phone's memory would not allow me to put too much 'reading' material on it...I'd rather have music files.

The Kidle fire also allows me to listen to Pandora, which I love, but worry that if I listen while on board ship I'll face wireless charges? Does anyone know how that works?

Decisions....decisions...

Appreciate my CC friends input on helping me make an informed consumer decision.:rolleyes:

I can't weigh in on the Kindle question, but I can tell you I had the HTC EVO and loved it. I had it for about 1 1/2 years and read books on it all the time. You can adjust the font size and read in portrait or landscape orientation. It was a really easy adjustment for me to read on my phone, and I had been worried about it at first just like you are. I love being able to have a book in my pocket or purse whenever I want to read and not have to carry a larger e-reader or book around. I do have an android tablet I use for browsing the internet, but I read almost exclusively on my phone. There is an app called Overdrive Media console that allows you to check out e-books from your library for free. And you can use the kindle app to downloads books from Amazon.com. The books don't take up too much space, I have never had an issue with storage. And the library books get returned so they are only on there temporarily. I think you can also remove and replace the Kindle books if space is an issue, but I have never had that problem. It is hard to read in sunlight, though, just like the color e-readers. I only got a new phone because that one was starting to get worn out, and I have a short attention span for cell phones! I now have a Samsung Galaxy SII Epic and I love it, too, and read books on it all the time. These phones are like having a mini-tablet that you can make calls on.

I love my Kindle. I not only read books, but play games. I am addicted to Every Word, Every Word Crossings, and Mahjong. While on my last cruise on HAL, I would occasionally try the daily quiz, and the included dictionaries help with some of the questions. I also downloaded a large reference while in Europe, slow but no fee. EM

Any recommendations for murder mysteries set on cruise ships?

Dead Man Docking by Mary Daheim

Set Sail for Murder: A Henrie O. Mystery by Carolyn Hart

Mai Tai to Murder by Candy Calvert

Killer Cruise by Laura Levine

Mystery Cruise Murders by Bob Moats

Murder Caribbean-Styke by Diane Rapp (first in a series)

Killer Cruise by Jennifer Shaw

Second Sitting by Stella Whitelaw (first in a series)

Death of an Obnoxious Tourist by Maria Hudgins (first in a series)

Some of these I have read, others are on my "to be read" list. You can get more by putting in "cruise mystery" on Amazon. Also fantasticfiction.co.uk is a terrific resource to find all of an author's works, in chronological order; especially helpful for finding the first in a series, etc.

Some of these I have read, others are on my "to be read" list. You can get more by putting in "cruise mystery" on Amazon. Also fantasticfiction.co.uk is a terrific resource to find all of an author's works, in chronological order; especially helpful for finding the first in a series, etc.

WOW! thanks!

Thanks! I bookmarked this post so I could refer to your lovely list when buying books!:)

DH suprised me with a brand new Nook last night...isn't he sweet. So decision solved...I have a new nook. So I was wondering if the Amazon prime membership would work with the nook? I think amazon is specifically for thier kindles or can they also work with other e-readers?

Thanks!

DH suprised me with a brand new Nook last night...isn't he sweet. So decision solved...I have a new nook. So I was wondering if the Amazon prime membership would work with the nook? I think amazon is specifically for thier kindles or can they also work with other e-readers?

Thanks!

Amazon uses .mobi files for the Kindle. Nook uses .epub. Sorry. :(

You can, however read .pdf files on either device. There are tons of old classics for free and lots of really cheap books to be downloaded to either device.

Which Nook did you get?

Loved Odd Thomas ! Where do you get the Odd Interlude Book. I have a Sony E-reader right now but thinking of getting something else. I still have to finish reading all the Game of Throne books, Stephen King's 11/22/1963 book (partway through that).

Don't know if you know or not, but George R.R. Martin has been writing a series of short stories that take place about 100 years before the Game of Thrones story. So far 3 have been released. I enjoyed them quite a bit - it was nice being back in Westeros :)

Could you get me the name of the 3 other books? My friend really wants to read them!

Could you get me the name of the 3 other books? My friend really wants to read them!

I think it is these:

"Tales of Dunk and Egg" series – set in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire

"The Hedge Knight" (1998)

"The Sworn Sword" (2003)

"The Mystery Knight" (2010)

"The She-Wolves of Winterfell" (forthcoming)

I think it is these:

"Tales of Dunk and Egg" series – set in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire

"The Hedge Knight" (1998)

"The Sworn Sword" (2003)

"The Mystery Knight" (2010)

"The She-Wolves of Winterfell" (forthcoming)

Yep, that's them :)

They're each published in a compilation of short stories by various authors:

The Hedge Knight - Legends: Stories By The Masters of Modern Fantasy

The Sworn Sword - Legends II: Dragon, Sword, and King

The Mystery Knight - Warriors 1

• 3 weeks later...

3 Alaska books that are free for the Kindle (you could read these free on your computer too) that really enhanced my Alaska experience:

Stickeen by John Muir (short story about a dog the famous naturalist had an adventure with--the story of John was as fascinating as the dog--WOW! Anyway, this story has really stuck with me). Old enough to get from gutenberg too.

2 by Dana Stabenow, modern mystery writer about Alaska. The mysteries are very good:

1. A Cold Day for Murder, her first book. Takes place in a small town out there. Really gives you a feel for what it's like to live in the real Alaska

2. Fire and Ice. A small fishing village. You learn a lot about small planes and herring fishing.

Archived