Oh No Not Another Tipping Thread .

just wondering what happens when you put cash in the envelopes along with the pre paid vouchers , do the waiters get to keep that or do they have to put it in a pool to be shared ?

When I booked my cruise yesterday , I asked my TA if pre paid gratuities had been included in the price , they had and she asked if I wanted them to be removed , I didn't , I just wanted to make sure that they were included . It got me thinking , if you opt out of pre paid do you still get the envelopes in your cabin to put cash in ? Do the crew know you have opted out of pre paid ?

I am not considering doing this I am just curious .

Linda .

They sure do know, you get a reminder in your stateroom saying you still have time to prepay your gratuities if you have not done so. They had the envelopes in May but I they were delivered well after the early dinner seating. I feel uncomfortable with the whole envelope thing, so I prepay and leave it at that.

To the best of my knowledge based on feedback from bar and wait staff, any cash they get or tips added to a bar receipt they get to keep. Some bars have a tip jar that is shared by those tending the bar.

They sure do know, you get a reminder in your stateroom saying you still have time to prepay your gratuities if you have not done so. They had the envelopes in May but I they were delivered well after the early dinner seating. I feel uncomfortable with the whole envelope thing, so I prepay and leave it at that.

I prepay but have always had the envelopes in the cabin on the last day to put the vouchers in . Are you saying that you don't need to put the vouchers in and hand them out ? I would need the envelopes to give out extra cash , i have never had them delivered too late , maybe I ought to take some envelopes just in case .I would feel awful not handing out those envelopes yet I understand what you mean about feeling uncomfortable with the whole thing.

Linda .

To the best of my knowledge based on feedback from bar and wait staff, any cash they get or tips added to a bar receipt they get to keep. Some bars have a tip jar that is shared by those tending the bar.

I would like to think that my waiter gets my tip , I don't like the thought of my extra cash being shared with others , after all they didn't give me the good service that I received , my waiter did .

Linda.

I prepay but have always had the envelopes in the cabin on the last day to put the vouchers in . Are you saying that you don't need to put the vouchers in and hand them out ? I would need the envelopes to give out extra cash , i have never had them delivered too late , maybe I ought to take some envelopes just in case .I would feel awful not handing out those envelopes yet I understand what you mean about feeling uncomfortable with the whole thing.

Linda .

No, you don't have to hand out the envelopes and vouchers in order for the tips to be paid. In fact, there have been reports recently that RCI is looking at not handing out the vouchers anymore. We usually put more cash in with the vouchers, and hand them out the last night. No discomfort at all. You can get more envelopes anytime at Guest Services.

Archived