Fireworks

Alona

Hi, I am interested to hear from passengers on the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary what the firework display was like on the three Queens departure from Southampton on June 5th 2012. We were passengers on the Queen Victoria and only saw the outline of the Queen Mary and some coloured clouds.

Hi, I am interested to hear from passengers on the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary what the firework display was like on the three Queens departure from Southampton on June 5th 2012. We were passengers on the Queen Victoria and only saw the outline of the Queen Mary and some coloured clouds.

I think that's about all anyone got. That's what they showed on the news anyway. (They were coming live from Queen Elizabeth).

We took a chartered tour on Blue Funnel and saw the fireworks from a good vantage point in the harbor. It was a great show and more than just colored clouds. Not quite as good a show as the January 2011 NYC Three Queens Rendezvous, but the weather was much warmer, albeit wetter.

We were on QE and our view was good, but the fireworks were obscured by the clouds/fog/smoke so they really weren't that great. Mostly we also saw coloured clouds!

We had a spectacular view from QE for the 3 Queens in NYC last year, so this was a bit disappointing, but the weather was indeed a good deal warmer.

Our video of the fireworks is at:

We also took a video of the QM2 and QV going by us as they sailed off into the darkness:

We were on QM2. The fireworks exploded at around 2000 ft?? - and the cloud layer had a bottom of 1000 ft!! :( It was interesting to see such pretty well lit up clouds though :) Unfortunately because of the low clouds, the Red Arrows display was called off and most were very disappointed about that. I think that Cunard just had to go on with the fireworks. Fortunately it didn't actually rain (much) during the display.

What was absolutely amazing to me that night was - the rain had been quite heavy and consistent all afternoon and early evening - BUT there were thousands of people out along the shoreline and an apparently free showground style fair was absolutely jampacked. The British sure are determined people :) We Aussie don't go out in the rain :o - well I don't !!

Barry

The British sure are determined people :) We Aussie don't go out in the rain :o - well I don't !!

Barry

It is more acceptance of the inevitable than determination; sadly, we are simply resigned to the fact that if we didn't go out in the rain, we would never go out.:(

Mary

We were on Queen Victoria right at the front and managed to see some fireworks. I think you did very well on QE looking at the video, especially as that was where our ship was supposed to be. Our problem was QM2 parked right in front of our ship. Cunard will certainly have received lots of negative feedback about that and the comedian the next night made the most of it all. We were told that the ships were positioned like they were for publicity reasons which is unfair considering we are the paying passengers.

I have to say that we still thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, music, ships horns and the cheering. :)

We were on QM2 and the cloud was very low, I found this on you tube, so you can see how it was, I also some video footage which is I find out how to upload on here I will add it

it was a great evening with 1000s lining the docks and on the ship we were all singing and cheering, great fun

We were up on the QE too. It was such a pity the clouds were so low but it was still spectacular! We sang all the patriotic songs and waved flags furiously. Wonderful atmosphere, if just a little on the damp side. My brother and his wife drove all the way from Dover to Southampton and stood in the pouring rain to see us sail away. True British stoicism.

I have some photos and video but need to do a little editing before posting.

Archived