No Jacket? - Formal Night - Med Cruise

Samantha781

The reality of how people are dressing on formal nights has changed since 2012. In our experience, there is less enforcement of the website dress code. We have seen more and more men in the MDR on formal nights without jackets. This has been in Select Dining, maybe it's different for traditional seatings.

Since I started this I'm more curious how these threads are found especially a dress code thread.

By doing a search. And since most dress code threads end up being locked by the "Host" on this board likely old threads are the ones that search will find.

Edited by Charles4515

It isn't strictly formal but you will not have a problem.

In all these threads, I find it a little bit sexist that to be formal a man must wear a jacket (tux, suit, blazer, etc) while women can wear whatever they like really as long as it looks dressy. :D

Men are also allowed to wear skirts...as long as they look tartan ...

Acceptance of jeans and t-shirts in the MDR on formal nights is sad. I'm willing to admit that times are changing rapidly and would be very accepting of smart casual being the dress code in the MDR always, but jeans and t-shirts are not anyone's definition of smart casual.

On each of our last two cruises, there were people who showed up to the MDR on formal nights in t-shirts and jeans. I didn't see anyone making a fuss, so I'd think jacketless would be acceptable.

And for reasons like these we no longer sail Celebrity..... lack of enforcement of rules (dress code, saving lounge chairs, diapers in hot tubs) are spineless, effectively condone the acts of the wrongdoers, and are a big pet peeve of mine...

And for reasons like these we no longer sail Celebrity..... lack of enforcement of rules (dress code, saving lounge chairs, diapers in hot tubs) are spineless, effectively condone the acts of the wrongdoers, and are a big pet peeve of mine...

Who do you cruise with that enforces the rules?

Whenever the famous "dress Code" subject comes up on CC I am always somewhat confused. I never wear a suit or tie at work, not a necessity to me I work hard and get paid accordingly, and whenever I attend a special event or a formal night on a cruise I will put on a dark suit & tie.

Everyone has the right to their opinions and some are dead against anyone not being in the correct dress on formal nights, and others will say not to worry if you do not want to dress up as you can eat at the buffet or elsewhere. Unfortunately most people don't want the buffet or other alternatives and want all the glitz & glamour of the MDR and choose their own style of dress anyway. This was apparent in my recent Solstice cruise where IMO only 25% of people were appropriately dressed for formal night. This did not bother me, as I think it is one of those things that are constantly changing on most cruises.

I don't think anyone should be "Judge or Jury" on this as I think that the ball is in the "Cruise Lines" court to enforce what they state or back away and let it slide.

Happy Cruising:)