No Jacket? - Formal Night - Med Cruise

Samantha781

A nice collared shirt and trousers may look dressy

This is what I used to have to wear everyday at work. I certainly don't call that dressy. Our company policy called it "Business Casual".

I don't know about that. Maybe it's the cruises we go on, but on formal nights suits are the norm along with many tuxes. Very few sport coats and very seldom have I seen someone without a jacket in the Main Dining Room. We don't do many Caribbean cruises.

Our cruises last month were some of the most formal I've seen. A great majority of the men wore tuxes and gowns were prevalent on the ladies. In fact everyone was looking good every night. It was a TA followed by a Norwegian Fjord cruise.

We've been on many Celebrity cruises and it always surprises me when someone who has been on one cruise considers himself an expert.

It's great that Celebrity has so many alternatives for those who don't care to dress formally for a couple of nights. It really makes me wonder if they will ever be satisfied. Maybe when it's McDonalds attire every night.:D

I don't know about that. Maybe it's the cruises we go on, but on formal nights suits are the norm along with many tuxes. Very few sport coats and very seldom have I seen someone without a jacket in the Main Dining Room. We don't do many Caribbean cruises.

Our cruises last month were some of the most formal I've seen. A great majority of the men wore tuxes and gowns were prevalent on the ladies. In fact everyone was looking good every night. It was a TA followed by a Norwegian Fjord cruise.

We've been on many Celebrity cruises and it always surprises me when someone who has been on one cruise considers himself an expert.

It's great that Celebrity has so many alternatives for those who don't care to dress formally for a couple of nights. It really makes me wonder if they will ever be satisfied. Maybe when it's McDonalds attire every night.:D

I've noticed similar. Our last cruise was a Baltic Cruise on Constellation. It seemed that everybody dressed up in appropriate clothes. Even on our South America/Panama Canal cruise on Infinity I never noticed anyone who didn't cooperate with the dress code.

And yes, it IS great that Celebrity has so many different options for formal night. I can dress up in suit or tux in the MDR. I can dress in smart casual in the specialty restaurants. I can dress in jeans or shorts and a T-shirt in the buffet. And I can dress in my underwear - or less! - with room service in my stateroom. :D

This is what I used to have to wear everyday at work. I certainly don't call that dressy. Our company policy called it "Business Casual".

For the record, I enjoy wearing a Tuxedo on formal nights (and reap the rewards from my wife as she loves it when I dress up). :D

Many people may criticise the dress of those who do not dress up but it remains to be seen that a lot of the women do not follow the dress code either.

Many people may criticise the dress of those who do not dress up but it remains to be seen that a lot of the women do not follow the dress code either.

This is one of my points as well. Some of the "strict constructionists" complain that a blazer and tie doesn't meet the Celebrity definition of formal. But for women, the Celebrity dress code says "cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit." To many women, "dressy pantsuit" seems to mean any black pants and any "nice" or sparkly top. That is not what I consider a "dressy pantsuit." But do you EVER hear of a woman being busted by the Maitre D' for failing to meet the dress code?

This is one of my points as well. Some of the "strict constructionists" complain that a blazer and tie doesn't meet the Celebrity definition of formal. But for women, the Celebrity dress code says "cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit." To many women, "dressy pantsuit" seems to mean any black pants and any "nice" or sparkly top. That is not what I consider a "dressy pantsuit." But do you EVER hear of a woman being busted by the Maitre D' for failing to meet the dress code?

It would be funny if they did. I can see it now, "Excuse me sir, can I offer you a Jacket to wear to the table, it is Formal night afterall. And Madam, can you please follow me to the ladies change room where we have a fine selection of Pant suits and gowns for you to choose from, Size 16, I presume."

LOL - would never happen:D

I take it that you have never felt the wrath of a woman scorned lol......

Anyone who says to a lady that they are not dressed adequately doesnt expect to live long afterwards lol.

rgds

:)

• 1 year later...

Frankly, ladies, don't you find a guy in a tux absolutely irresistable? If your guy hears that you think it is the sexiest thing on earth, a man in a tux, perhaps he would reconsider. Bless my DH for actually going along with the deal (he hadn't worn his tux since we got married 44 years ago!) but "dragged it along" because he felt it a fait accompli. And did he ever look splendid (as do the rest of you guys!)

Do it, do it, do it.

Susan

Exactly. Hate to break it to you Maisonrose but your cry to 'do it' is 19 months too late ;)

Still applies today, even "19 months too late". Looking good, following the guidelines, and showing respect for your dining mates never goes out of style.

How and why are two year old threads resurrected. Especially a dress code thread, yikes.

CC should consider closing any thread that has been dormant for six months. They could still be accessed but no further posts allowed. Someone with fresh ideas (few of those when it comes to discussions on formal wear, smoking, etc.) could start a new thread.

Still applies today, even "19 months too late". Looking good, following the guidelines, and showing respect for your dining mates never goes out of style.

Thanks for the lecture, but agree with this........

CC should consider closing any thread that has been dormant for six months. They could still be accessed but no further posts allowed. Someone with fresh ideas (few of those when it comes to discussions on formal wear, smoking, etc.) could start a new thread.

In brightest day, in blackest night, no slovenly dressed shall escape my sight, :confused:

Let those who wear ship casual clothes, beware MY power, Fashion Police might! :eek: :D :rolleyes:

(Apologies to Green Lantern and DC Comics...)

Edited by teecee60

I must admit to being a bit confused as to why a Mod "should close a thread" just because a few folks do not like that it is old, the topic, or perhaps the way the discussion leans. The solution for those folks is to simply skip the thread. We get a bit concerned when certain folks feel that if they do not have their way or win their argument there should be no discussion.

Hank

CC should consider closing any thread that has been dormant for six months.

I must admit to being a bit confused as to why a Mod "should close a thread" just because a few folks do not like that it is old, the topic, or perhaps the way the discussion leans. The solution for those folks is to simply skip the thread. We get a bit concerned when certain folks feel that if they do not have their way or win their argument there should be no discussion.

Hank

If you read the highlighted item above, which I agreed with, the suggestion wasn't that a thread should be closed because people disagreed with its contents but because of the age of it.

In this case someone resurrected a thread whereby a person was asking advice in June 2012 for a cruise they were taking in July 2012. That ship has long sailed.

There are plenty of current dress-code threads for those who want to participate and resurrecting an old thread only adds more clutter to the boards.

If you read the highlighted item above, which I agreed with, the suggestion wasn't that a thread should be closed because people disagreed with its contents but because of the age of it.

In this case someone resurrected a thread whereby a person was asking advice in June 2012 for a cruise they were taking in July 2012. That ship has long sailed.

There are plenty of current dress-code threads for those who want to participate and resurrecting an old thread only adds more clutter to the boards.

I too think that would be a very good idea. TripAdvisor do it on their forums. It keeps the content "current".

Phil

I must admit to being a bit confused as to why a Mod "should close a thread" just because a few folks do thinot like that it is old, the topic, or perhaps the way the discussion leans. The solution for those folks is to simply skip the thread. We get a bit concerned when certain folks feel that if they do not have their way or win their argument there should be no discussion.

Hank

Since I started this I'm more curious how these threads are found especially a dress code thread.

Since I started this I'm more curious how these threads are found especially a dress code thread.

They may have done a search for "dress code jacket" and found this thread.

Anyway, I agree that inactive threads should be automatically locked after 6 months. While I'm not 100% sure, I believe vBulletin has that option.

They may have done a search for "dress code jacket" and found this thread.

Anyway, I agree that inactive threads should be automatically locked after 6 months. While I'm not 100% sure, I believe vBulletin has that option.

We should have a contest...resurrect the oldest thread and win a prize!:)