Juneau Public Transportation

wallyboag

We will be making a call in Juneau next month with a three and a half year old daughter. While looking through pictures we saw a really neat looking playground at Twin Lakes park. Looking at the map, this park seems to be halfway between Downtown Juneau and Mendenhall Glacier. Is there some sort of bus that we could use to take to this park? I am thinking that a nice playground will be a great way for my daughter to let off steam after being at see for a couple of days.

My options seem to be either take the bus which does seem to have a route that goes that way, or take a cab over there. I'd rather do the bus option. Maybe the bus can also go to the glacier?

Any advice on getting to this playground?

I don't know how to get there, but I remember seeing that park on our way to Mendenhall last year and I wanted to get out and play! It looks like a great place to take your daughter. I hope you figure out how to get there and have a great time!

Yes, it is likely simiple to get to. The bus stop is on Franklin, across the street from the Red Dog, and up a few blocks to the bus shelter. Just ask the driver. Call them in advance for the bus stop. Contact information is on the above web site.

Ot it wouldn't be a real costly cab ride, but have an arranged pick up or phone numbers with you.

regarding the 2nd part of your question ... the city bus drops off a mile from the Mendenhall Glacier.

Take the MGT or another shuttle. If there are several people in your group it may be cheaper to rent a car for the day rather than pay for buses and shuttles. And then you have the car for further exploring ....

Thank you everyone for the help!

I called Capital Transit and they verified that the bus would take us to the playground. They said the bus stop was not next to the cruise ship dock but in town. Someone here said it was next to the Red Dog Saloon, how far is that from where the ships dock?

Thank you everyone for the help!

I called Capital Transit and they verified that the bus would take us to the playground. They said the bus stop was not next to the cruise ship dock but in town. Someone here said it was next to the Red Dog Saloon, how far is that from where the ships dock?

No, not next to the Red Dog. It is on Franklin. Look for the Red Dog, that is on Franklin. The bus stop is on the right side of the road, a few blocks down. (across the street from the Red Dog- down a few blocks)

how far is that from where the ships dock?

There are docks stretched for blocks, so the nearest stop could be all over. Best to check one of the cruise ship dock assignment websites, find out where yours will be, and take it from there. The main bus terminal may be closer than the Franklin Street one, for example.

Twin Lakes is relatively close by bus and I'd say that's a good option. Salmon may also be running in the creek next to the park, so you can get some viewing in as well. Watch for bald eagles.

DO NOT take the bus to the glacier. I take the bus halfway home to save on gas and am astonished to see tourists STILL doing that with the cheap shuttle available. There was a family of 5-6 on the bus with me last week, looking rung out already and they hadn't even gotten to the walk part. It's crowded and a waste of time, plus we almost got t-boned at a light by a truck. With that many people, the cab would have been cheaper than the shuttle even. At least they were on the 'express' that only goes by the halfway house, not the regular, which also swings by the prison. I mean, really folks, you don't need to know these things about us in Juneau!

There is a city bus that you can use. Go to http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/. If you can't locate the stop you need, give them a call...they are happy to help. We used the city bus last summer to go to the Alaska Brewing Company.

Really interested in specifics of how you did this if you have time to reply. Otherwise will call as suggested. Or can we check somewhere after docking?

Archived