What marine life have you seen from balcony

mrshingles

While on the ship in Cabo two years ago, I was watching some people zoom around the ship on jet skis. I saw something moving around in the water under them. It dawned on me that it was a rather large shark that they were zooming over. I was holding my breath that one of them didn't fall off and get munched. Other than that, I've seen sailfish, flying fish, dolphins, whales, sea turtles, and all kinds of sea birds.

Pamela

Tucson

Well, when I was in the Navy years ago as we were pulling into Trieste Italy, several young ladies on a sail boat gave us sailors an eye full....

In Alaska on the Celebrity Millennium, we saw a momma seal who had just given birth on a piece of ice trying to get her baby to join her in the sea.

What have you seen from your balcony? (whales,sharks,turtle,sea monster,or refugees?)

My favorite were the pod of dolphins apparently racing the Millennium heading south along the coast of Alaska. They stayed right next to the front of the ship where our cabin was for quite a while! I loved how they looked so playful and beautiful!

on my actual private balcony I've seen dolphins and flying fish (caribbean)

on one of the outside decks a bit lower down I've seen more dolphins (coast of Japan) more flying fish, my dad and I were actually tracing individuals to see how far they flew (some of those suckers can really go)

a large ray off the coast of Key West

a shark take/attack a sea bird that was just floating in the water.

smaller fish like needle fish that we could see from the boat in the caribbean

I will be watching like a hawk on my next cruise... I want to see more!!!

I saw a crocodile swimming near the ship while docked in Colon Panama!:eek:

At least it was a short peir. Less chance of someone falling in. Ive seen alligators, but that was one big old croc! Had to be 12 ft long at least!:eek:

Funny thing, on our first cruise DH was still sleeping on the first morning at sea. I was sitting on our balcony and I saw the flying fish! I was so excited. I went inside, woke him up saying "come look at the flying fish" He asked me if they were dolphins! I told him no they are too small, we're not that high up. Now we laugh!

This isn't marine life but on our cruise on the Legend in December we saw an idiot jump overboard while we were in Grand Cayman. Can't say that ya see that everyday

Wow. And it's not like they could just swim to shore in GC. Idiots, they are EVERYWHERE. :rolleyes:

With limited mobility I've spent a lot of cruises looking at the ocean from my balcony. Never saw anything. Took my best friend on her first cruise and she was in love with that balcony. I told her she'd probably never see anything. No sooner did I say that when she pointed all excited at a school of flying fish, later she pointed out a huge sea turtle and finally she spotted a couple dolphins as we were leaving one our ports of call ! She sure did better then I ever have. I'm taking binoculars on my Sept cruise !!

With limited mobility I've spent a lot of cruises looking at the ocean from my balcony. Never saw anything. Took my best friend on her first cruise and she was in love with that balcony. I told her she'd probably never see anything. No sooner did I say that when she pointed all excited at a school of flying fish, later she pointed out a huge sea turtle and finally she spotted a couple dolphins as we were leaving one our ports of call ! She sure did better then I ever have. I'm taking binoculars on my Sept cruise !!

That is funny :)

Not from the balcony.....

but we did see a pod of whales from the bridge of the Elation last month.

The Captain was presenting our son with his 50th cruise picture and the officers started handing us binoculars.

I had to laugh because we had just gone to Hawaii the month before and all I talked about was seeing whales...and did not see one whale.

Then I come back to the good ole Gulf of Mexico and ta da !!! go figure.....

on 3 cruises. I have seen a school of dolphins, I have seen 5 people at night on a make shift raft of oil-drums that we had to rescue they were escaping Haiti and then we saw a boat about 35 footer with about 50 Haitians hanging all over it that we rescued [so sad some where dead, they had been out there floating for days in the heat no water or food and other ships kept passing them by]. On each cruise that rescued people several hours later the Coast Guard would show up and take all the Haitians off the cruise ship. It was so heart breaking to think that they would risk their lives like that!

Dolphins and flying fish. In Costa Maya we saw this... http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2379071300030186251sxiJbZ

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2843089340030186251RcVhys

I don't know what kind of fish they were but there was a whole school of them and they were about three feet long. I'm guessing maybe Barricuda.

Archived