Booking with travel agent vs cruise line

Another lesson learned. Book with cruise travel agent in Australia and this will happen. Can't cancel, deposit not refundable, Credit card payment extra 2%, Can't get price reduction if price drops. Price can increase if exchange rate changes unless paid in full. Visa card payments are credited to travel agent and not to cruise company. This might have some risk.

If you book direct with cruise company. They have agent you deal with. You get full refund if canceled up to 70 days before cruise. If price drops you can get price adjustment or upgrade. Price will not increase once booking is made. No visa card usage fee. Prices are usually better.

So choice is clear.:mad:

• 3 weeks later...

We usually book online with the cruise line. I have noticed prices vary during week, days, times but i always do my homework before boarding and then check with the onboard booking agent. The "hunt" is part of my personal cruising experience :-) RCCL told me we could use their discount coupons with those of AARP if they dont duplicate each other. Booking onboard we found same price but received credits. We have not tried using a TA but someday... Offers change so much through all methods I dont know if its a concrete answer. :o

The OP is right. He (and I) are in Australia, things seem to be done differently here.......I have read these boards extensively and the sad fact (for Australians) is that things are done differently over here re price drops and freebies.

I never use a TA any more, haven't for years, book everything direct or through an online TA. For last years Alaskan cruise I booked through a Canadian online agency. I was able to actually speak to these people via the phone so all was good. I always do my homework first though.

This upcoming cruise booked through another online agency who this time are in Australia and contactable by phone if need be.

As a side note both these agencies mentioned were cheaper than going direct to the cruise line.

Archived