Wine/Beer Package?

scubalo

Hi all--we're going on our first-ever cruise, and it's Baltic Treasures on the Marina! Very excited. We just booked our specialty restaurant reservations, and I'm curious about the value/quality of the package that provides wine and/or beer with meals only. The cruise is very port-intensive, so we'll probably not have any lunches on board. Does anyone have any experience with this? Price per glass of wine? We do like our wine with dinner. Thanks much.

Hi all--we're going on our first-ever cruise, and it's Baltic Treasures on the Marina! Very excited. We just booked our specialty restaurant reservations, and I'm curious about the value/quality of the package that provides wine and/or beer with meals only. The cruise is very port-intensive, so we'll probably not have any lunches on board. Does anyone have any experience with this? Price per glass of wine? We do like our wine with dinner. Thanks much.

I have only ever had the house wine at dinner and it is very good - both red and white. The cost is $8 per glass plus 18% gratuity for a total of $9.44. Basically, you would need to drink 3 glasses a wine a day per person to breakeven. We never ordered the beer since we are off the ship during the day so I do not know what beer costs.

... Basically, you would need to drink 3 glasses a wine a day per person to breakeven.

You're talking about the minimum package, the beer and wine for lunch/dinner one, right?

The question is, do you also like to have a cocktail before dinner, or perhaps a nightcap? We're going on a TA next year, and will almost definitely get the Prestige package. But it's a Crossing, with plenty of time to kill.

That being said, most people do most of their drinking at night, so port-intensity may not be that big a factor perhaps??

Yes, we're talking about the minimum package. I would absolutely do the Prestige package if we had more time at sea. Will bring some vodka on board for pre-dinner cocktails on our veranda. Three glasses of wine with dinner? No problem! Was curious if the house wine is good enough to enjoy in the specialty restaurants?

Was curious if the house wine is good enough to enjoy in the specialty restaurants?

You'll be very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the house wines ( I know that we were), but one of the nicest things about these packages is that any wines which Oceania sells by the glass are included.

There is also a rotating daily wine selection (both a red and a white) and any of these wines may be ordered in any of the restaurants, or through room service.

Yes, we're talking about the minimum package. I would absolutely do the Prestige package if we had more time at sea. Will bring some vodka on board for pre-dinner cocktails on our veranda. Three glasses of wine with dinner? No problem! Was curious if the house wine is good enough to enjoy in the specialty restaurants?

The house red and white are very good. I would try them on your first evening and then you can decide if the package is worth it for you. Don't forget that the $29.99 package is per person. You can start the package at anytime during your cruise. Enjoy.

You'll be very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the house wines ( I know that we were), but one of the nicest things about these packages is that any wines which Oceania sells by the glass are included.

There is also a rotating daily wine selection (both a red and a white) and any of these wines may be ordered in any of the restaurants, or through room service.

Jim, I always defer to you on matters of adult beverages, butI must have a misunderstanding of that package. I spoke with a sommelier on board Riviera (I'm having a Senior Moment with his name, big fellow from Eastern Europe) about that package, and he said the rotating selection is from the same 6 wines, 3 white and 3 red, throughout the entire cruise. He also was of the opinion that for $60 per day, a couple could select from a greater variety of bottled wine and get about the same quantity. He was specifically referring to bottles that sell for around $40 to $50 with gratuity (of which there are several).

I find the house wines, and those at the above rate per bottle, about the equivalent of $15 to $20 wines in Total Wine stores, and that's fine with me -- better than I tend to drink at home.

I really wonder if you can comment on the quality of the wines and champaines that were in the drink packages during the "Special Sailing" and Maiden voyage from the Rivera this year with all the dignitaries, high rollers and "special guest' during that period. Do you think that it was possible that they served a higher-end product for those sailings. Especially the Champaines. Just putting this out there for thought :). I am sure they are not serving rot gut wines can change from week to week dont you think?

I really wonder if you can comment on the quality of the wines and champaines that were in the drink packages during the "Special Sailing" and Maiden voyage from the Rivera this year with all the dignitaries, high rollers and "special guest' during that period. Do you think that it was possible that they served a higher-end product for those sailings. Especially the Champaines. Just putting this out there for thought :). I am sure they are not serving rot gut wines can change from week to week dont you think?

The house red that we were served had a Oceania label on it. The red was a mixture of cabernet and shiraz and very good. The sommelier said it was from Chile. I forget what the white was but also dry and crisp. The house red in the past was often a Rioja. I was surprised to see an Oceania label on a bottle of red.

The house red that we were served had a Oceania label on it. The red was a mixture of cabernet and shiraz and very good. The sommelier said it was from Chile. I forget what the white was but also dry and crisp. The house red in the past was often a Rioja. I was surprised to see an Oceania label on a bottle of red.

I've also seen the Oceania House label on a bottle of Merlot --- not my favorite grape, but very good -- one of the better Merlots I have tasted.

Regarding the "special" cruises and whether the wines were "scaled up", it's possible they were during the Christening cruise, with all the honchos, travel industry professsionals, etc. But, fewer than 20 people went on to the Maiden Voyage from the Christening cruise (Jim and Stan and Betsy and I among them) and I saw nothing out of the ordinary on that voyage.

Jim, I always defer to you on matters of adult beverages, butI must have a misunderstanding of that package. I spoke with a sommelier on board Riviera (I'm having a Senior Moment with his name, big fellow from Eastern Europe) about that package, and he said the rotating selection is from the same 6 wines, 3 white and 3 red, throughout the entire cruise. He also was of the opinion that for $60 per day, a couple could select from a greater variety of bottled wine and get about the same quantity. He was specifically referring to bottles that sell for around $40 to $50 with gratuity (of which there are several).

I find the house wines, and those at the above rate per bottle, about the equivalent of $15 to $20 wines in Total Wine stores, and that's fine with me -- better than I tend to drink at home.

Would the sommelier you are thinking about be Ivo from Bulgaria?

Don

here is a burning question! We are getting the "Prestige" drinks package and I wonder if champagne is included (by the glass of course). I am thinking about my Kir Royale before dinner.... santé

Gerry

Champagne certainly IS included, and they make a mean Kir Royale in Martinis.

:D I used to force myself during team trivia......just for inspiration, you understand!

Well thanks all for the great insights. One more question--I did find the Marina wine list online, and not too impressed with the wines by the bottle that are in the $35-45 range. Does anyone know which wines by the glass are included in the package--is it only the $6.95 "house wines" or are others by the glass included as well? Of course, I could ask Oceania this question, but this is way more fun!

Well thanks all for the great insights. One more question--I did find the Marina wine list online, and not too impressed with the wines by the bottle that are in the $35-45 range. Does anyone know which wines by the glass are included in the package--is it only the $6.95 "house wines" or are others by the glass included as well? Of course, I could ask Oceania this question, but this is way more fun!

They have to update their web page. The house red and white are now $7.95. The red is under the Oceania lable and is a cabernet with shiraz from Chile. I couldn't help with the others. We didn't get the package this time since we purchase locally produced wines in the ports and bring them on board.

I'm not going to quote specific labels here, as they can and do change dependent on quality and availability, but the packages include any of the wines that Oceania sells by the glass, and they are numerous.

Five Whites (a chardonnay, a sauvignon blanc, a pinot; you get the idea), eight red wines, two rose, and three late harvest, you're bound to find something that appeals.

I am recently off a Marina cruise and for my money the wines by the glass in the $29.99 package are good. The best of the available champagnes in my opinion is the French Perrier-Jouet. One of the wines that was new to me was Southern Right, a Sauvignon Blanc from South Africa that I am looking for locally. I also liked a Pouilly Fuisse by Bouchard. My favorite among the reds was a familiar Tuscan by Villa Antinori, though there were several other good choices.

Despite the impression left on the Oceania web site, not all beers drunk with meals are covered by this plan. The Asian beers in Red Ginger and the draft Heineken draft beer in Waves will cost you extra.

Despite the impression left on the Oceania web site, not all beers drunk with meals are covered by this plan. The Asian beers in Red Ginger and the draft Heineken draft beer in Waves will cost you extra.

I'd be interested to hear if that's true of the Prestige package as well. Also interested that they have any kind of draft beer onboard.

The Asian beers in Red Ginger and the draft Heineken draft beer in Waves will cost you extra.

The Sake in Red Ginger was not included either, and we were led to believe that this was because of its' extraordinary quality.

In actuality, the Sake that was served was of intermediate quality and had been stored badly. The Sommelier was of no help.

The Bar staff(s), throughout the ship were delightful and cooperative, but some of the Sommelier definitely need more education about how the Beverage Packages work.

The more limitations and information on the wine by the glass available and drinks not included is very good information to know when making a decision on these drink packages. Thanks so much for sharing the information and details.:cool:

Wendy, The only draft beer I saw on my cruise was Heineken at the Waves Bar/Restaurant.

So do I understand correctly that neither this draft beer, nor the sake in Red Ginger are part of either of the drink packages? Or are they available with the Prestige package only?

Archived