11:15AM Return Flight from FLL?

Scottee25

Five out of 6 times we made it back to the airport for our flight home before noon. (Miami/Fort Lauderdale airports) The one time we didn't was after a medical emergency with a child on the boat and the ship arrived back pretty late. The scene was a chaotic mess with everyone trying to change their flights by the ships phones/computers. We had to pay a fee to get our flight home the next day, however, we knew it was a possibility and we still considered our trip a wonderful time.

I am looking at the same flight time 11:15 but out of Miami (ship docks in Miami) I am 90% sure we would make it, BUT if you dont make it and miss your flight then what?? Knock on wood we have never missed a flight but you never know.... Do you have to pay for another ticket or go stand by??

I've done it before no problem. However, this was before Oasis and Allure homeported in Port Everglades. If you're taking Southwest, the security line is VERY long (almost an hour). Other airlines (I fly United) are normal. Just something to keep in mind.

We are flying out of Tampa at the same time (with same docking time as well). I'm not too worried about it. If we miss our flight that we get to spend more time in Florida! Woohoo! I have to say that I was waaay more stressed about our 12:45 arrival time into Floriday on our previous cruise (Embarkment was from 12:30 - 2:30) :p

I've done it before no problem. However, this was before Oasis and Allure homeported in Port Everglades. If you're taking Southwest, the security line is VERY long (almost an hour). Other airlines (I fly United) are normal. Just something to keep in mind.

Southwest security @ FLL? I'm flying SW and my ship docks at 8 am and my flight is at 11:25 am. Am I in trouble?

I say go for it! On 2 occasions we had flights booked for 1pm or later, only to be standing inline at the airport at 8:30 AM paying an extra $50/pp to take a flight an hour or so later. The last time I just said the heck with it, and booked the earlier flight- did not have a problem. But I will say this: if it were a holiday and/or there were 5-6 other cruise ships in port the same day, I would reconsider and take the later flight.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Liz

Go with the 11:15. When I went on the Valor, which left from Miami not FLL, we had an 11:30 flight out of FLL and we got to the airport at 9:15. We carried our own luggage off and got off as soon as possible and got a cab to FLL. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you get off in a timely manner. (Sidenote-We could have been last off and still made the flight. It didn't take off until 6:45.)

Should be no problem at all. Here is our experience with our noon flight out of FLL last year. We chose to use the 'Luggage Direct' program that the cruise line offered. It costs $19 per person and allows you to send up to two of your bags ahead of time (the night before) and you don't see them again until you pick them up at your final destination airport. The benefits of this program are:

1. You don't have to search for your luggage in the big hangar after you disembark

2. You automatically are placed in the first group to disembark (usually 7am).

3. Your boarding pass is automatically delivered to your room the night before so you avoid having to get it at the airport.

4. You just go straight to the TSA security checkpoint and then to your terminal.

We used luggage direct and were at the gate by 9:00am. DW and I felt like it was the best $38 we spent on the cruise.

I am cruising out of Miami in September and October. With both trips I have a 10:15 flight home. This will not be the first time for me booking this time slot. I usually still have time to kill at the airport. Yes, I know things can happen, but that is true with just about anything.

In my experience, I would avoid Pre-noon flights in San Juan, New York and possibly Seattle. All other ports I have sailed out of have been quick to get me to the airport.

Edit- I should state that I always self-disembark and get off as early as possible.

[quote name='sweetcurves']Southwest security @ FLL? I'm flying SW and my ship docks at 8 am and my flight is at 11:25 am. Am I in trouble?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Southwest security at FLL is a madhouse. You should be ok, but do self-assist debark.

[quote name='Chigirlcruzin']Yes, Southwest security at FLL is a madhouse. You should be ok, but do self-assist debark.[/QUOTE]

What threw me off was "Southwest security". I have yet to be at an airport where each airline had it's own TSA counter/line etc. Interesting.

I was planning on self debark so hopefully we'll be ok.

[quote name='sweetcurves']What threw me off was "Southwest security". I have yet to be at an airport where each airline had it's own TSA counter/line etc. Interesting.

I was planning on self debark so hopefully we'll be ok.[/QUOTE]

MANY airlines have their own security checkpoints, depending on the airport. I'm not sure if the Southwest security checkpoint is exclusive to Southwest, but FLL has many security checkpoints. United's checkpoint at FLL is not nearly as chaotic as Southwest. American is somewhere in between United's and Southwest.

• 3 weeks later...
What are your opinions on a 10:30 flight out of FLL and using Luggage Direct?
My DH does not want to wait until 1pm or 3pm to come home. He doesn't worry about the time but I do. I also know that Carnival doesn't suggest a flight this early....

[quote name='NMCRUISERS']What are your opinions on a 10:30 flight out of FLL and using Luggage Direct?
My DH does not want to wait until 1pm or 3pm to come home. He doesn't worry about the time but I do. I also know that Carnival doesn't suggest a flight this early....[/QUOTE]

You can't use luggage express for a flight that early

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='NMCRUISERS']What are your opinions on a 10:30 flight out of FLL and using Luggage Direct?
My DH does not want to wait until 1pm or 3pm to come home. He doesn't worry about the time but I do. I also know that Carnival doesn't suggest a flight this early....[/quote]

I agree with Bill= you will not be able to use Luggage Express for the 10:30 flight.

You could make that flight but you are going to need to do self assist. Carrying off all your luggage with no help. Porters are not available.

I suggest a 1pm flight- eat your breakfast in the MDR and take your time getting off the ship- less stressful.

I think u. Will be fine....
Last time I did the freedom... I was worried also and booked the 115
I was there at 9 am and we did the self assist... But that was our 1st cruise....

This time we have booked the 1130 and we are doing luggage express

Archived