11:15AM Return Flight from FLL?

Scottee25

We will be sailing on the Freedom in October and I am in the process of trying to book our return flight on Sunday, October 14, 2012. The ship's itinerary shows 8AM as the dock time in Fort Lauderdale. As of right now, there are really only 2 options available to me for return flights... 11:15AM and 1:40PM(This flight was origianlly 3:30PM). I would prefer the earlier flight as we have to work on Monday and getting home 2.5 hours earlier would be preferable. Question is, is an 11:15AM flight out of Fort Lauderdale doable? Carnival doesn't recommend flights earlier than 11:30AM for FLL but I thought I would ask this of others that have done it, and what their experience was like.

I did ask this question about a month ago but I had it bundled with some other questions so some replies touched on it while others hit on my other questions. I am now ready to make my flight reservations so I thought I would pose the question by itself this time. Thoughts?

Any number of things could hold up your arrival, and arrival time does not mean that US Customs and Immigration will be done.

Why stress out at the end of a wonderful vacation wondering if you will make a flight? 1:40 isn't a bad time -- I would take that and just relax.

We will be sailing on the Freedom in October and I am in the process of trying to book our return flight on Sunday, October 14, 2012. The ship's itinerary shows 8AM as the dock time in Fort Lauderdale. As of right now, there are really only 2 options available to me for return flights... 11:15AM and 1:40PM(This flight was origianlly 3:30PM). I would prefer the earlier flight as we have to work on Monday and getting home 2.5 hours earlier would be preferable. Question is, is an 11:15AM flight out of Fort Lauderdale doable? Carnival doesn't recommend flights earlier than 11:30AM for FLL but I thought I would ask this of others that have done it, and what there experience was like.

I did ask this question about a month ago but I had it bundled with some other questions so some replies touched on it while others hit on my other questions. I am not ready to make my flight reservations so I thought I would pose the question by itself this time. Thoughts?

I say you have a 95% chance of making it

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Freedom arrived at 5:12AM this past weekend and is scheduled for 5AM this week. That doesn't mean you can get off by then.

I would rate your chances at better than 90% assuming you get off at an a

early time or carry your own luggage off even earlier.

Only in very very rare circumstances would you miss a 1:40 flight.

I'll be getting on the Freedom a few hours after you'll be getting off! My return flight home is at 11:35 am on the 20th. I sure hope it's enough time...I switched from a 3:30 flight home because I didn't want to have to try and kill 5+ hours in Ft Lauderdale.

I have taken that 11:15 flight on our last 2 cruises (FLL - DTW) and made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare both times.

Not saying something unexpected won't occur to delay you, but if all goes well, you will likely be at the airport in plenty of time.

I would take the later flight and relax about it. When we were on the Miracle in February, we were several hours delayed getting back into FLL (medical evac the day before). Nobody's fault, but things happen. One less thing to worry about.

Even if slightly delayed, that should be plenty of time.

We've been on 11 something flights out of FLL and always made it in plenty of time. We dont bother with express debarkation anymore either and still end up sitting in the airport terminal waiting.

I have taken that 11:15 flight on our last 2 cruises (FLL - DTW) and made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare both times.

Not saying something unexpected won't occur to delay you, but if all goes well, you will likely be at the airport in plenty of time.

In those instances what time was your ship scheduled to dock and what time did it actually dock? I am assuming the flight you are talking about is the same one I am looking at as I will be flying to DTW as well. What time were you able to get off the ship? Did you do self assist? Or were you able to disembark normally?

On our last cruise (Freedom) we were at the airport by 8:30am. Our flight wasn't until noon. I know something unforeseen can happen. We also have an 11:15am flight this time. Just going to hope for the best.

I can understand everyone's concern with taking an early flight and I would be in that same boat if I were flying out of San Juan. However due to the close proximity of the airport to the cruise terminal, getting from one to the other shouldn't be that much of an issue. I really do not want to spent several hours sitting in an airport waiting for my flight. Not that I don't value your opinions, however, I am really looking for feedback from those that have had early flights booked and what their experience was... did they make the flight? Did they miss it? Was it a stressful experience? Would they pick an early flight again? Those types of responses are what will help me make my decision.

As for those of you who have had an early flight and responded, thank you for your replies. So far is seems that all of you with early flights have had no issue making them.

I will check with my trip insurance provider, but I am curious if they would cover a missed flight in the rare event the ship is significantly delayed?

If the ship is arriving in Fort Lauderdale and you are flying out of Fort Lauderdale--

yes,

I have always booked our flight out of FLL at 11:30.

We do not do self assit but do ask for early off numbers and are in the first wave of people to get off the ship after self debarkation.

You do NOT want to go any later then that first number as the amount of people heading to the airport will grow with each ticking minute

Even if there is two of you-- grab a porter and pay them the 10 bucks. They get you to the fastest line for immigrations/customs and they get you to the front of the line for taxi.

Well worth the 10 bucks.

The people with the 1pm flights will have to wait until after 9 to check in with their luggage. FLL airport goes with that 4 hour check in.

You should be at your gate by 9:30

I'll be getting on the Freedom a few hours after you'll be getting off! My return flight home is at 11:35 am on the 20th. I sure hope it's enough time...I switched from a 3:30 flight home because I didn't want to have to try and kill 5+ hours in Ft Lauderdale.

Are you flying into Toronto or Buffalo?

If the ship is arriving in Fort Lauderdale and you are flying out of Fort Lauderdale--

yes,

I have always booked our flight out of FLL at 11:30.

We do not do self assit but do ask for early off numbers and are in the first wave of people to get off the ship after self debarkation.

You do NOT want to go any later then that first number as the amount of people heading to the airport will grow with each ticking minute

Even if there is two of you-- grab a porter and pay them the 10 bucks. They get you to the fastest line for immigrations/customs and they get you to the front of the line for taxi.

Well worth the 10 bucks.

The people with the 1pm flights will have to wait until after 9 to check in with their luggage. FLL airport goes with that 4 hour check in.

You should be at your gate by 9:30

Thank you very much for the info! Yes are ship is arriving in Fort Lauderdale and yes we are flying out of FLL. Thanks for the tip on the porter. We will definitely drop the $10 to be fast tracked. More and more it looks like 11:15AM is the way to go for our flight.

We carried off our own luggage. Our deck was scheduled to leave the ship at 7:10. We were called a little early and were getting in a taxi by 7:30. I can't imagine you not making it unless there is some kind of storm or emergency to cause a delay.

In those instances what time was your ship scheduled to dock and what time did it actually dock? I am assuming the flight you are talking about is the same one I am looking at as I will be flying to DTW as well. What time were you able to get off the ship? Did you do self assist? Or were you able to disembark normally?

Both times, I believe it was scheduled to dock at 8am and both times we awoke at 6:30 tied to the pier. We asked for the earliest debarkation both times and were in the 1st group off after platinum / VIP / self debarkation.

We were at the airport both times by 8:45. The ride from Port Everglades to FLL is about 10 minutes by cab so it is not too big of a deal and last time I think it was $15 plus tip.

Both flights were NWA / Delta. The one time we flew Spirit DTW to FLL, we flew out of FLL at 3:15 and it was a painful long day. We have a 2 - 3 hour drive after back to Canada so the earlier the better for us.

As others have said, things can and will happen that may delay you. If it were me, based on previous trips, I would book the 11:15 without hesitation.

Both times, I believe it was scheduled to dock at 8am and both times we awoke at 6:30 tied to the pier. We asked for the earliest debarkation both times and were in the 1st group off after platinum / VIP / self debarkation.

We were at the airport both times by 8:45. The ride from Port Everglades to FLL is about 10 minutes by cab so it is not too big of a deal and last time I think it was $15 plus tip.

Both flights were NWA / Delta. The one time we flew Spirit DTW to FLL, we flew out of FLL at 3:15 and it was a painful long day. We have a 2 - 3 hour drive after back to Canada so the earlier the better for us.

As others have said, things can and will happen that may delay you. If it were me, based on previous trips, I would book the 11:15 without hesitation.

Thanks again for all the information. I have yet to hear from anyone who has had an early flight who has had anything negative to say. Completely understand things can happen, but we are insured for this trip so if things go terribly wrong, we should be covered. You guys have been able to reassure me that the 11:15AM flight is completely doable and actually the flight of choice. Thank you!

Thanks again for all the information. I have yet to hear from anyone who has had an early flight who has had anything negative to say. Completely understand things can happen, but we are insured for this trip so if things go terribly wrong, we should be covered. You guys have been able to reassure me that the 11:15AM flight is completely doable and actually the flight of choice. Thank you!

We also have the 11:15 flight from FLL to DTW.

We also have good insurance (WorldwideTravel Insured Gold through USAA).

Don't feel like looking up the info, but I think the ship has to arrive 3 hours late for your insurance to kick in if you miss your flight.

We are flying out of san juan and want to take an 11:55am flight. Any thoughts?

I would post another post so not to confuse people with FLL airport and San Juan Airport.

How many ships are debarking that day-- and you have to clear the agriculture thing. (I would be able to catch an 11:55 and be in the first wave of passengers getting off. You will have to be at the airport by 9:55 which is really quite doable. (do not self embark- no reason to really) buit you also do not want to be one of the last people off either.

Ask for early off tags and get off after the self embarkation and you should be fine

Archived