Will RCCL come to Galveston year round

I understand it is being used for bird nests and weed growth.

They built it with no contracts...As for Galveston, why do governments pay people to come in and make proposals. Why not open the proposal process to anyone who can develop a creative idea, do the budgeting and then come to the government with a plan?

When you decide to re-do you kitchen, you do not pay people to give you an estimate, they come, give you a competitive bid and then you pick a winner.

They can build all the terminals in the world, but if a cruiseline will not pre-commit, building it will just be another Houston project.

Sounds more like another "If you build it, they will come" dream that all too often fails to come to fruition. I would imagine that a lot of things would have to fall into place before a cruise line decided to base one of their ships in a particular port. Certainly the capacity to handle multiple ships would be a consideration, but perhaps not the deciding factor.

And as I have seen the "build it and they will come" promise does not always work. The City of Norfolk, VA. built a new cruise terminal to replace the temporary facility being used at the behest of the cruiselines. They built it and 3 of the 4 cruiselines that were here said "see ya later" and left just one cruiseline here in Norfolk. That particular cruiseline is only here two months out of the year in spring and fall. :mad:

So good luck to you guys down there.

The Houston Terminal is a joke, there was never a good reason to build this building, it is a shame they did not at least have a committment from a cruise line first.

I would love to see RCCL come to Galveston again year round, however this article does not give any real promise of that. I am not really sure a third cruise terminal makes much sense, however if they can secure the business it would be good for all us Texas cruises.

I am doubtful that RCCL will come back here year round as it does not seem to match thier deployment strategy, however, we would love to see them back again.

Found an article here http://galvestondailynews.com/story/324310 that raised my hopes a bit. I'd hate for the Port of Galveston to turn away a ship!

Royal has the Project Sunshine ships joining the fleet in late 2014, and early 2015 that have to port somewhere. The Texas economy is stronger than a lot of other places. It may just be wishful thinking on my part, but I can see it happening.

If Navigator comes back in the fall of 2014 and sticks, I'll be thrilled!

Royal...Royal...Royal (Chant with me now) Royal...Royal...Royal...:D

RCI tried it before -- the Rhapsody of the Seas. I don't remember if the Splendour of the Seas was also year round for a while. Obviously there was a reason to stop doing this. Was Celebrity year round when it was in Galveston?

I was on the Carnival Ecstasy for the Dec. 30, 2006 New Years Eve cruise. There were 3 ships then, with the Ecstasy squeezed in the middle. The Ecstasy did not leave until around 10pm because it could not get all the supplies or water or something it needed. Galveston currently cannot handle 3 large ships. I doubt even the parking lots could handle it -- not enough shuttle buses. I see the Disney Magic will be departing on Fridays whenever the Carnival Triumph and Crown Princess both depart on Saturdays, to avoid having 3 ships at once.

Interesting to have two ships both called "Magic" from Galveston next winter. At least they don't depart on the same day of the week -- That would be really confusing.

Splendour was doing 5 day cruises way back when. I know she wasn't year around; in spring she left for Europe.

The purpose of the staggered port days in Galveston is to prevent massive amounts of passengers arriving and departing on the same day.

Back when Princess, Carnival and RCCL were in port the same day, we had over 18,000 arriving and departing.

The staggered port days will really help both with the terminals and parking shuttles. There is a lot of available parking around the port area and some new lots going in.

We keep hoping RCCL will bring a ship here permanently though we love the transatlantics back to our home port:D

I understand it is being used for bird nests and weed growth.

They built it with no contracts...As for Galveston, why do governments pay people to come in and make proposals. Why not open the proposal process to anyone who can develop a creative idea, do the budgeting and then come to the government with a plan?

When you decide to re-do you kitchen, you do not pay people to give you an estimate, they come, give you a competitive bid and then you pick a winner.

They can build all the terminals in the world, but if a cruiseline will not pre-commit, building it will just be another Houston project.

We worked Hurricane Ike. We saw the terminal signs so drove back to the terminal area. Wow what a beautiful terminal and all of that parking. Sure seems a waste that they don't have a ship. Wonder why a ship doesn't sail from here?

Found an article here http://galvestondailynews.com/story/324310 that raised my hopes a bit. I'd hate for the Port of Galveston to turn away a ship!

Royal has the Project Sunshine ships joining the fleet in late 2014, and early 2015 that have to port somewhere. The Texas economy is stronger than a lot of other places. It may just be wishful thinking on my part, but I can see it happening.

If Navigator comes back in the fall of 2014 and sticks, I'll be thrilled!

Royal...Royal...Royal (Chant with me now) Royal...Royal...Royal...:D

If the rumors hold true the Project Sunshine ships will go to ports that have cooler weather and the port that is in the lead is Bayonne which would necessitate the relocation of the Explorer of the Seas. I'm not trying to stir anything up but just relating what the "rumor mill" is putting out right now about the Project Sunshine ships.

If the rumors hold true the Project Sunshine ships will go to ports that have cooler weather and the port that is in the lead is Bayonne which would necessitate the relocation of the Explorer of the Seas. I'm not trying to stir anything up but just relating what the "rumor mill" is putting out right now about the Project Sunshine ships.

But then maybe the Explorer could come to Galveston YR?

But then maybe the Explorer could come to Galveston YR?

It would be a possibility. Just have to wait and see, sometime next year Royal Caribbean should be letting out some info about the new ships and possible relocations.

Splendour was doing 5 day cruises way back when. I know she wasn't year around; in spring she left for Europe.

The purpose of the staggered port days in Galveston is to prevent massive amounts of passengers arriving and departing on the same day.

Back when Princess, Carnival and RCCL were in port the same day, we had over 18,000 arriving and departing.

The staggered port days will really help both with the terminals and parking shuttles. There is a lot of available parking around the port area and some new lots going in.

We keep hoping RCCL will bring a ship here permanently though we love the transatlantics back to our home port:D

Splendour also did some 12 night cruises. We took our first Panama Canal cruise on her out of Galveston.

Archived