Bus Prices....I'm a little confused?

elsplace2

I've been reading on taking the bus in Grand Cayman and he sounds pretty economical and easy. But some people say it's something like $1.50 pp and others say $2.50 pp. And I think I've read someone said $2.50 R/T. We are probably just taking the bus to Hell and maybe the beach.

Not that it's a big deal but I just don't know if there are different buses out there or what?

Also do you tip the driver?

Buses are cheaper than taxis...no tipping needed and they are everywhere....when you're ready to leave the beach, just head toward the road, and you 'll see a bus pretty soon, if there isn't one waiting! Hop on. No problem!

I've been reading on taking the bus in Grand Cayman and he sounds pretty economical and easy. But some people say it's something like $1.50 pp and others say $2.50 pp. And I think I've read someone said $2.50 R/T. We are probably just taking the bus to Hell and maybe the beach.

We traveled from the port to the turtle farm last week, it was $2.50 each way

Not that it's a big deal but I just don't know if there are different buses out there or what?

There was only one bus company that I know of, someone correct me if I am wrong. The main bus "terminal" (more of a parking lot) is by the library (google it). The buses are large vans, they look just like a lot of the taxi's. The buses will have an orange sticker on the hood that states the bus route and bus number (ex WB 6). If it does not have a sticker, then it is a taxi.

Also do you tip the driver?

Tipping is not necessary but we did anyway since the driver was nice enough to give a little overview of the island and explain which routs to take,where, when, etc. She went above and beyond what a bus driver should do. She did not turn it down.

Thanks everyone for the great info....so I guess it depends on where you are going as to why the different prices....(usually bus fares are one price regardless of where you get off, so that's why I was confused.)

So I assume we tell the driver, "I'm going to Hell" haha, always cracks me up that town, then they will give us the price?

bandit68 - thanks for letting me know how you can tell its the bus.....that was going to be my next question....if we are flagging them down how do we know it's a bus and not a cab or whatever.

We can flag them down anywhere on the street, correct? Are there also bus stops too or just flagging down method?

Just wave at a bus going in the direction you are headed (the vans have a placard on the front and back with their route #) and they'll pull over onto the side of the road. Many will honk if they think you may be looking for a lift as well. There are a few proper bus stops scattered about, but don't waste your time looking for them.

The buses that run around the George Town and West Bay/Seven Mile Beach area will be coloured Yellow or Green. Here is some route info: http://www.grandcayman4u.com/transport/buses.htm

Just wave at a bus going in the direction you are headed (the vans have a placard on the front and back with their route #) and they'll pull over onto the side of the road. Many will honk if they think you may be looking for a lift as well. There are a few proper bus stops scattered about, but don't waste your time looking for them.

The buses that run around the George Town and West Bay/Seven Mile Beach area will be coloured Yellow or Green. Here is some route info: http://www.grandcayman4u.com/transport/buses.htm

Thanks for the additional information!! I looked at the link you posted, thank you, but how do I know which one goes to Hell?

All the buses on Church Street (the main waterfront street) that are heading north (that would be to your left as you walk out of the terminal)will take you to Hell. We usually walk across the street and stand on the corner of Church and Fort Street and hail one down.

If in doubt just stop one and ask. The Cayman people are very nice.

Any of the West Bay buses, designated by a "WB", plus a route #, either 1 or 2 "will take you Hell, Hells Bells..." (Feel like I just released my inner AC/DC :) ) or any of the beach clubs, turtle farm, dolphin pens near turtle farm or car museum. Simply as the dispatcher at the terminus what bus you need to get on and he/she will be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

All the buses on Church Street (the main waterfront street) that are heading north (that would be to your left as you walk out of the terminal)will take you to Hell. We usually walk across the street and stand on the corner of Church and Fort Street and hail one down.

If in doubt just stop one and ask. The Cayman people are very nice.

Route buses should not be passing through that intersection. Only taxis or tour buses. Route buses are prohibited from serving the immediate waterfront area.

Fares are CI$2 to CI$4 (US$2.50 to $US5) depending on distance. Drivers will happily accept US currency. Some routes are relatively short so the maximum fare is CI$2. Diversions off the regular routes are usually available for an additional CI$1 fare.

There is not single bus company. Each bus is individually owned and operated. Many owners hire an employee to drive their bus. Drivers cannot charge more that the government regulated fares (but they can charge less).

Routes #1 and #2 serve West Bay. Ask at the depot about which serves your destination without paying an additional fare for diverting off the route.

Archived