Seattle Great Wheel Opens tomorrow, 6/29!

runnerodb83

We want to visit the Great Wheel but I am having trouble figuring out how to get there via public transit. does the monorail or the free downtown bus have a stop near there? And what stop is the Needle? Thanks.

We want to visit the Great Wheel but I am having trouble figuring out how to get there via public transit. does the monorail or the free downtown bus have a stop near there? And what stop is the Needle? Thanks.

It's along the waterfront on Pier 57--between the Pier 66 cruise terminal and the state ferry docks, near the aquarium, and just down the bluff from Pike Place Market. It's walkable from any of the above. Some folks will walk it from Seattle Center, but that's more of a hike than I'd want to take!

The Monorail makes two stops only--Seattle Center (near the Space Needle) and Westlake Center, in the middle of downtown. It's roughly a fifteen-minute walk from Westlake to the Great Wheel, and it involves either going down many stairs west of First Avenue, or else taking one of the elevators that go from the Market to the waterfront level.

The free Route 99 Metro bus runs on Alaska Way, next to the waterfront, and should stop close to the Wheel.

It's along the waterfront on Pier 57--between the Pier 66 cruise terminal and the state ferry docks, near the aquarium, and just down the bluff from Pike Place Market. It's walkable from any of the above. Some folks will walk it from Seattle Center, but that's more of a hike than I'd want to take!

The Monorail makes two stops only--Seattle Center (near the Space Needle) and Westlake Center, in the middle of downtown. It's roughly a fifteen-minute walk from Westlake to the Great Wheel, and it involves either going down many stairs west of First Avenue, or else taking one of the elevators that go from the Market to the waterfront level.

The free Route 99 Metro bus runs on Alaska Way, next to the waterfront, and should stop close to the Wheel.

Thank you!

I'm anxious to hear a report from somebody who's actually been for a ride. What I want to know is, do they stop and start it again and again to board passengers? The London Eye never stops--it's so big, the arc where it's near the ground is wide enough that they can actually unload one set of passengers and load another in each car while it's moving slowly by! This wheel is smaller, so I don't know if that would work here--but it's big enough that there would be a LOT of stops and starts to load and unload it. I'll look forward to the first reports!

• 2 weeks later...
Their website has a Frequently Asked Questions page that you might find helpful: http://seattlegreatwheel.com/FrequentlyAskedQuestions-9

They also have an email address to ask any other questions you may have: seattlewheelwebsales@gmail.com

Thank you. I missed the FAQ when I was looking at their site. It did answer my questions.

Saw also that the VIP one had a glass floor ... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Archived