Expensive Doctors Visit Onboard

Aussie71

Oh gosh.

I feel that they overcharge. Is that a correct assumption?

They charge private hospital rates and every service and medication/bandage etc is itemised and charged as is done in a high end private hospital here in Australia. No underlying subsidies apply to be claimed against medicare, the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme etc as they do in Australia - it is all user pays and covered by insurance - you hope!. A simple visit to the doctor to get a prescription for a sore throat brought on by airconditioning you are not used to can cost as much as the insurance you take out to cover you for the cruise by the time you pay for the consultation and the medication at full unsubsidised rates. I know this after studying the itemised bill I sent off to the insurance company.

The medical services on board are contracted out to private companies in most cases as with the Spa Services even though your bill comes from the cruise line.

I could not cover the full bill myself even on a daily basis without making arrangements that were not possible on board ship so I worked this through with the head of the medical centre and then the pursers office - it is not an unusual circumstance for someone to be presented with a bill that exceeds their immediately available credit or cash on hand - they accepted my proof of full insurance cover and agreed to bill me separately after the cruise.

Perhaps more informaion than you wanted but my experience was unusual and may help someone make the decision to take out insurance or know how to approach the difficulty of a really large bill if this occurs. BTW the suggestion to seek post cruise deferred payment came from the chief medical officer.

I highly recommend that unless you are literally dying or have broken a bone...

1. Hang out until you get home
  2. Wait until you can get to a chemist at the next port of call

A $75.00 consultation can easily quickly add up to $300.00 and you find yourself being charged exorbitant fees for over the chemist products to treat a sniffle that cost only a couple of dollars.

A $75.00 consultation can easily quickly add up to $300.00 and you find yourself being charged exorbitant fees for over the chemist products to treat a sniffle that cost only a couple of dollars.

Don't get me wrong, I do not mind paying for the initial consultation or products that cost slightly more onshore. It's the rediculous markup on the consumables that can be purchased from a supermarket or a chemist, that got on my nerve.

I know that I can claim it on our Travel Insurance, I was just utterly flabbergasted with the charges and the obvious markup. Example: $14.00 for 20 Paracetamol, $21.60 for 24 Iboprofen.

how many passengers get so sea sick that they have see the doctor to get an injection and 24 hours later they are fixed up......it that case they need fixing up so they can enjoy their cruise

Don't get me wrong, I do not mind paying for the initial consultation or products that cost slightly more onshore. It's the rediculous markup on the consumables that can be purchased from a supermarket or a chemist, that got on my nerve.

I know that I can claim it on our Travel Insurance, I was just utterly flabbergasted with the charges and the obvious markup. Example: $14.00 for 20 Paracetamol, $21.60 for 24 Iboprofen.

I did not get you wrong and I agree. This is why I travel with my collection of standard pharmacy items and read up on simple first aid - it has all changed since I was a Girl Guide. My doctor will also give me prescriptions for possibilities within reason. BUT when it comes to life threatening illnesses or serious injuries ...

Colleen

There were a large number (heaps) of passengers with coughs, colds, sniffles etc. I am sure they arrived sick and did not disclose or present to medical staff.

If anyone is planning on travelling during flu season, I would recommend getting the flu needle or risk being isolated and confined to your cabin for a number of days. The 'men in black' come a couple of times a day doned in face masks and rubber gloves and disinfect the room by wiping down all surfaces etc.

Repeat after me, travel insurance, travel insurance, travel insurance...don't leave home without it! Many of us travel with a small kit of necessary over the counter medications for minor ailments, stemitil, cold and flu meds, antiseptic cream, headache tablets, immodium, band aids, anti histamine and the like. It doesn't take up much room and you have what you need on hand for minor emergencies. Make sure the meds are identifable..you dont want to take the wrong one or have to explain to customs what those tablets are.

Even a quick visit to the doc onboard can be very expensive, elderly father in law slipped in shower and peeled a substantial amount of skin off..an out of hours visit to the medical centre plus daily dressings...hundreds of dollars.

Medical insurance refunded pretty much all of it.

Sue

Can I ask which insurance company you used?

Also (and of course you don't have to answer this)....was it illness or accident?

I am sorry, I do not believe this, I had four visits to the mediacl centre, 8 stichhes ., a sling and numerouse tablets and it did not cost me anywhere near this,,, What happened to you ??

K

one of our passengers on the xmas cruise last year got very sunburnt on his legs and he was in so much pain he had to see the doctor everyday for a week to get the dressing changed and his bill was over a $1000

he was so bad he couldnt put his shoes on to go to dinner so he had to wear long pants and thongs to the restaurant

Can I ask which insurance company you used?

Also (and of course you don't have to answer this)....was it illness or accident?

I am sorry, I do not believe this, I had four visits to the mediacl centre, 8 stichhes ., a sling and numerouse tablets and it did not cost me anywhere near this,,, What happened to you ??

K

A bit offensive Tigerman! Why would I lie?

It was an illness Karmac and I was hospialised for five days - only missed two ports luckily - both were repeats for us. Four days on a continuous drip plus other procedures, multiple tests and twice daily checkups, injections and more tests for another three days after I was released back to our cabin as an "outpatient". Cannot fault the care. I think I recovered because they threatened to transfer me to a shoreside hospital if the readings did not improve. sufficiently for me to be released from the hospital. It all added up - the final total was a real shock. The insurance company were not in the travel insurance business the next time we cruised. (Oh dear!) The only issue with them was that I had not advised them of my hospitalisation - they accepted that I was not in a fit state to do this based on the doctor's reports. They also requested my GP records for two years before the cruise as evidence that it was not an undisclosed pre existing condition.

I totally agree with rugbypopsie - insure! Also make sure you take a copy of your insurance cover with you in case you need to negotiate for deferred payment as I did AND get your travelling companion(s) to notify the insurance company

We always take a first aid kit I put together at home. I just get a plastic container and pack everything neatly into it with a copy of our travel insurance and medication list... Easily stored and packed.

Ours consists of

panadol

seasick tablets

ginger drops

cold & flu tablets

cough drops

thermometer

antacids

laxitives

few bandiads

roller bandage

sterile dressings

bottle peroxide - great wound cleaner, gargle and disinfectant

tweezers

small sewing kit - needle comes in handy

We each also get a script of antibiotics filled and take with us and ALWAYs have our flu jab

We always take a first aid kit I put together at home. I just get a plastic container and pack everything neatly into it with a copy of our travel insurance and medication list... Easily stored and packed.

LOL, that's a good list, B&B but we take more than one container of stuff! :eek: :D :D

Of course, whatever we take, it is no way enough if you get seriously ill or have an accident with broken bones etc.

We take whatever meds we need and get a script made up for a good all purpose antibotic, but if we need to go to the ship's Dr we do and apart from one incident all the bills have been under $150. Unfortunately our TI has a $200 excess and the one bill I had for $US260, I didn't bother to claim - I couldn't be bothered going through all the hassle for potentially something less than $60.

My husband & I have just returned from a 7 day cruise on Pacific Sun with my elderly mother who unfortunately contracted a chest infection which led to a mild heart attack on the last day of the trip.

One night stay in the ship's hospital, plus numerous tests & medications etc resulted in a bill of...$4500. The staff were wonderful & in retrospect it was a blessing that they wanted to keep her overnight considering the end result. The doctor also suggested the deferred payment to us once they confirmed we did have travel insurance, instead of maxing out the credit card!

At present, we aren't sure how much we will get back from the insurance company, but they too have been extremely attentive so far (as have P &O who have checked on us a few times since we disembarked)....so fingers crossed!

Another perfect example of NEVER travelling without insurance...things can happen & unfortunately, often do!

My husband & I have just returned from a 7 day cruise on Pacific Sun with my elderly mother who unfortunately contracted a chest infection which led to a mild heart attack on the last day of the trip.

One night stay in the ship's hospital, plus numerous tests & medications etc resulted in a bill of...$4500. The staff were wonderful & in retrospect it was a blessing that they wanted to keep her overnight considering the end result. The doctor also suggested the deferred payment to us once they confirmed we did have travel insurance, instead of maxing out the credit card!

At present, we aren't sure how much we will get back from the insurance company, but they too have been extremely attentive so far (as have P &O who have checked on us a few times since we disembarked)....so fingers crossed!

Another perfect example of NEVER travelling without insurance...things can happen & unfortunately, often do!

It is difficult to get insurance for those over 80 years of age.

Can I ask how old your elderly mother is?

Did she get insurance to cover any pre-existing medical condition?

Thanks.

I always take a range of over the counter meds for those quick little things that cab be easily fixed like a runny nose, sore throat, minor cut. However, ia m glad there are doctors onboard no matter what they cost. If I had a serious concern it would not matter what it cost as I always have insurance.

My Aunty passed out on her cruise as she drank more alcohol than normal and did not drink any water. 1 Night in hospital on the ship (Princess) tests and drip came in at $8000. She was over 80 and used the travel insurance from the Travel Agent and was totally covered.

Just found my Patient Statement for a visit to Dr. last December on Pacific Dawn. Very bad case of hay fever, thought that I may have been coming down with cold and did not want to spread the germs

Doctor Consultation $75

Nasal spray $66

Amoxycillin Caps $60.06

2(only) other tabs $31.00

As my insurance "flag fall" was $200.00 and required a 12 page submission, I decided to wear the costs.:eek::mad:

It is difficult to get insurance for those over 80 years of age.

Can I ask how old your elderly mother is?

Did she get insurance to cover any pre-existing medical condition?

Thanks.

My mum is 86 years old.

We tried a few companies & it was quite difficult to get the travel insurance for her, hence why we thought we'd cruise close to home & feel slightly more secure if a problem did arise. None of her pre-existing conditions were covered (not able to increase the premium to cover them either). The doctor onboard the Pacific Sun believed we did have a good chance that she would be covered for the heart attack because the pneumonia precipitated the attack (not the other way around)....we'll wait & see if that turns out to be the case. Mum's excess was $3000 (compared to our $100 each) so we will still be a lot out of pocket. But the risk of travelling without any insurance, no matter how limited,is just too great considering how quickly these bills can accumulate.

I always travel with a medical kit like others here. Saves those pain in the butt waiting times for something simple. I always take out travel insurance, no matter what - even domestic cruising. An airlift is an airlift, regardless.

I have been to a ship medical centre once, on Rhapsody of the Seas. Consultant/treatment cost = $0

I had a fall on their slippery floor outside of the lift. Came a gutser badly. It was far from pretty. Damaged my wrist and knee. No charge, due to their negligence :D I'm all better now, thanks for asking :p

On the same cruise, my friends son got a fish bone trapped in his throat. He could still breath but it was embedded sideways. We tried to get it out (picture me sticking my hands down this kids throat with tweezers) as is father was worried about the huge costs to go to the medically centre. Eventually I decided it would be in the kids best interests, regardless of the cost, to seek proper medical help. Cost of removal by medical centre $0.

So if you can blame it on the ship....it's gonna cost nada :p

Moral of the story - take your own simple remedies or blame it on ship's negligence :D!

Archived