Alaska 2013- Oceania Regatta or Celebrity Solstice? Seeking advice/opinions

HopeEverlasting

Don't they have their own Officer's Club in which they can smoke?

Officers are given the run of the ship in a way that the Hotel and Entertainment staff are not. They are permitted, even encouraged, to eat, talk, and socialize with the passengers.

Most of us value their company, and consider the smoking a non-issue, as it takes place in the designated smoking areas anyway.

Officers are given the run of the ship in a way that the Hotel and Entertainment staff are not. They are permitted, even encouraged, to eat, talk, and socialize with the passengers.

Most of us value their company, and consider the smoking a non-issue, as it takes place in the designated smoking areas anyway.

I am quite sure that my husband and I value all the crew, not just the officers, at least as much as you do.

However, if the officers in turn value their passengers—the vast majority of whom have chosen to book Oceania in very large part due to the perception that Oceania is one of the most smoke free of cruise lines (and other lines are now and others are becoming more smoke free than Oceania, and some do not permit officers to smoke in passenger areas)—then surely the officers would be happy to forego smoking in Horizons and socialize with everyone in Horizons, not just those who might tolerate their smoke in the smoking area.

I think it's time that the "designated smoking areas" are reduced. People love socializing with officers and crew of other lines, too—who also socialize very much with guests—yet in many cases, passengers don't have to also cozy up to cigarettes to enjoy their company.

Cruise lines that have been making strides in improving their smoke free areas are taking some bookings away from Oceania, and I don't think you want to see that happen any more than I do.

I am quite sure that my husband and I value all the crew, not just the officers, at least as much as you do.

However, if the officers in turn value their passengers—the vast majority of whom have chosen to book Oceania in very large part due to the perception that Oceania is one of the most smoke free of cruise lines (and other lines are now and others are becoming more smoke free than Oceania, and some do not permit officers to smoke in passenger areas)—then surely the officers would be happy to forego smoking in Horizons and socialize with everyone in Horizons, not just those who might tolerate their smoke in the smoking area.

Two thumbs up, Oceans and Rivers.

Perhaps if one cannot bear the scent of tobacco, patronizing those ships might be the answer.

As a matter of fact, we are planning to cruise on Riviera in one of those lovely Penthouses. I'd still like to see smoking banished in Horizons on the smaller ships, however.:)

As a matter of fact, we are planning to cruise on Riviera in one of those lovely Penthouses. I'd still like to see smoking banished in Horizons on the smaller ships, however.:)

Two thumbs up again, I am glad we don't have to abandon the line.

Thank you all for your thoughts and input.

In case you are curious, we are now leaning (nearly decided at this point) on Oceania over Celebrity.

We have poured over your comments (and the replies to the same question on the Celebrity board) and agree with many of your posts/opinions. We also picked up great advice and pointers.

We will be aiming for a balcony/veranda cabin; however, think that Oceania will be the best fit for us for our first cruise. Considering other itineraries (Norway/Polar Ice Cap) as well. Think that we would still choose Oceania, even if we have to go with an inside stateroom.

Thanks again for your help!

-HopeEverlasting

• 1 month later...

I called Oceania for info on Regatta 10-day July 2013 Alaska Wilderness round trip Seattle (10 months away) and was astonished to be told the following:

ALL CABINS AT ALL LEVELS ARE RESERVED and they are taking names for being put on a wait list should there be cancelations or failures to make final payments when due 90 days before sailing.

I know it's a relatively small ship (684 passengers lower berths), but for a cruise ship to be sold out 10 months in advance I have never heard of before.

Apparently, Oceania has a strong following, they didn't do Alaska in 2012, and pent-up demand for the few 2013 sailings is off the charts!

I know it's a relatively small ship (684 passengers lower berths), but for a cruise ship to be sold out 10 months in advance I have never heard of before.

In the past it was not unheard of for Oceania cruises to be sold out 15 mths in advance ;)

For new itineraries & ones not done yearly they do fill up fast

Hi, ORV-

Just to let you know, we did, indeed book this cruise. So, we shouldn't miss the boat. :) However, shortly after placing a deposit, we read all of the threads/posts about the new youth program on Oceania this summer in Alaska, and we started to second guess our choice a bit. Might not be the best sailing for us...which, some others on the boards had suggested. But, the dates of this voyage matched our calendar well.

We may consider switching to another sailing without a youth program, or we may consider a different destination, such as Norway or a transatlantic voyage. We really are going for the rest, relaxation, and dining. And quiet.

The youth program is a big negative for us, although I realize it will be a plus for others. (I wonder if this particular sailing has booked so quickly/early because it does, in fact, offer the youth program? Hmmmm... if that is the case, there will be quite a few children on this voyage. Maybe we need to rethink the sailing dates. We love kids, but were hoping for a rather quiet trip for our first cruise.)

ORV- Just curious: What comments did you read in the posts on this thread that you thought were misconceptions?

Thanks again to all who posted replies.

Hi, ORV-

ORV- Just curious: What comments did you read in the posts on this thread that you thought were misconceptions?

Thanks again to all who posted replies.

One would be that by booking Aqua Class on Celebrity you would be getting a suite, not really true, they may call it that but it is in essence a regular room with the Concierge amenities plus access to the Blu restaurant. I'd have to reread the rest of the thread to find a couple more.

Archived