Do You Want a Scale in your Bathroom on the Ship?

sail7seas

[quote name='COLLEYBERRY']

Watched the documentary "Weight of the Nation" on the weekend...we North Americans are in terrible trouble...within a few decades we may need a scale on every street corner,never mind cruise ship staterooms

The facts presented certainly gave me food for thought (pun intended.).so much so, I walked to work today. LOL Give it a peek folks ,if you take the message to heart, you may never need a scale again.[/quote]
It's this simple (not easy). Just look in the mirror and do something about what you see. All the guidance to proper eating and exercise are available to everyone who wants to pay attention.

[quote name='SwissMyst']Move more. Eat Less: [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck[/URL][/quote]
Too funny, and too true. Sometimes the answer really is simple and obvious. It's evasions of the obvious that get complicated.

[quote name='arewethereyet']It's this simple (not easy). Just look in the mirror and do something about what you see. All the guidance to proper eating and exercise are available to everyone who wants to pay attention.[/QUOTE]

I agree...however it would seem the situation is a little more complicated than that,and getting increasingly worse.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I do.[/B]
[B]I try so hard to maintain/lose weight that I miss having a scale when we are cruising. I want that guide to be aware of whether I'm having a few too many treats. Yes, I usually can judge from my clothes but a 'weigh in' is important to me. (I have never found the scale in the gym to be of any use.) [/B]

[B]If given the choice, would you request a scale or not?[/B]

[B]I was thrilled with our hotel in Seattle. The five days we were there, I was happy to be able to step on the scale each morning.[/B][/quote]

My spouse needs to weigh himself first thing every morning because of his dr's concern with fluid retention. We bought a $10 digital scale at CVS and the box fit easily in the luggage. Left it in the closet when we disembarked, hoping the next passenger(s) might benefit.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I do.[/B]
[B]I try so hard to maintain/lose weight that I miss having a scale when we are cruising. I want that guide to be aware of whether I'm having a few too many treats. Yes, I usually can judge from my clothes but a 'weigh in' is important to me. (I have never found the scale in the gym to be of any use.) [/B]

[B]If given the choice, would you request a scale or not?[/B]

[B]I was thrilled with our hotel in Seattle. The five days we were there, I was happy to be able to step on the scale each morning.[/B][/QUOTE]

NO, I would not want a scale in my room. I can use the one in the gym.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Yes I would love to have one, but chances are its' most important task would be to weigh my luggage at the end of the cruise.;) Okay, at least I am honest!

My guess is those scales would go the way of the current in cabin channel controllers, they [B]might[/B] work if no one prior to you stole the batteries!:rolleyes: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

This is such a weighty topic! I'll have to give it more thought; scale the heights of intellectual challenge, so to speak. [I]Chew the fat [/I]with a few knowledgable friends. Devour the available studies, and arrive at a balanced decision after weighing the pros and cons.:D Cheers, -Salacia

[quote name='Salacia']This is such a weighty topic! I'll have to give it more thought; scale the heights of intellectual challenge, so to speak. [I]Chew the fat [/I]with a few knowledgable friends. Devour the available studies, and arrive at a balanced decision after weighing the pros and cons.:D Cheers, -Salacia[/QUOTE]

I am savouring the wisdom as I digest your post.

Smooth sailing...

[SIZE=3]It would be nice if there were a scale that actually weighed [B][U]accurately[/U][/B]. The scale in the gym's onboard have always been off for me. Since August 2011, I have lost 40 lbs. and went on 2 cruise's. 3 lbs. down after each one! I try to eat healthy and up my exercise. On vacation I tend to have more time for myself and going an extra mile or two on deck or on the treadmill works for me. BTW~ I still indulge in a few of my favorite things! It would be nice if the passenger wanted a scale in the stateroom to request one. [/SIZE]

[quote name='hal lover'][SIZE=3]It would be nice if there were a scale that actually weighed [B][U]accurately[/U][/B]. The scale in the gym's onboard have always been off for me. Since August 2011, I have lost 40 lbs. and went on 2 cruise's. 3 lbs. down after each one! I try to eat healthy and up my exercise. On vacation I tend to have more time for myself and going an extra mile or two on deck or on the treadmill works for me. BTW~ I still indulge in a few of my favorite things! It would be nice if the passenger wanted a scale in the stateroom to request one. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Don't go by what the scale at home said, go by what the scale you'll be using on the cruise said on the first day of the cruise. If it says 180 the first time you step on it, then that's the benchmark to determine if your weight is headed up or down. If it's teetering near 195 at the end of the cruise you've gained weight. If it's at 182, that could be simple fluid retention that will drop off on it's own when you return to your regular climate or diet.

[quote name='Salacia']This is such a weighty topic! I'll have to give it more thought; scale the heights of intellectual challenge, so to speak. [I]Chew the fat [/I]with a few knowledgable friends. Devour the available studies, and arrive at a balanced decision after weighing the pros and cons.:D Cheers, -Salacia[/QUOTE]

I like your style !

[quote name='traveling mama'][b][u][color="red"]no!!!!!!![/color][/u][/b][/QUOTE]

I think you are on the Westerdam this Oct. --- hopefully to Hawaii and Tahiti --- sailing out of San Diego.

Come join our very active Roll Call ---- ""Sept. 29, 39 and Oct. 4 --- Hawaii/Tahiti" ---- we have a great group with lots of information and ideas.

No, I [I]always[/I] gain weight on vacation due to enjoying myself [I]to the max[/I]! It always falls off effortlessly when I get home because my body hasn't been at that weight for very long.

I don't get much vacation time so I don't worry in the slightest, I over indulge in every way, too much booze, too many calories, not enough sleep.......that's why it's called "vacation"~;)

[quote name='hal lover'][SIZE=3]It would be nice if there were a scale that actually weighed [B][U]accurately[/U][/B]. The scale in the gym's onboard have always been off for me. Since August 2011, I have lost 40 lbs. and went on 2 cruise's. 3 lbs. down after each one! I try to eat healthy and up my exercise. On vacation I tend to have more time for myself and going an extra mile or two on deck or on the treadmill works for me. BTW~ I still indulge in a few of my favorite things! It would be nice if the passenger wanted a scale in the stateroom to request one. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Since weight is a relative number unique to you, why not weigh yourself on the ship's scale right after you board so you know your relative bench mark to measure against as the cruise progresses?

Archived