Parents MUST stay on ship for Port Day ?

stevenet

Dear all, I am 1st time cruiser with my 2-year old. I booked some excursion and planned to leave my 2-year old (26 months) at port play.

But, I just read some where else in the forum, it said parents MUST stay on ship if child is on diaper !!!

Does anyone can answer my question ? My son would not need diaper change until later in the afternoon.

Can I leave the ship ? HELP!

Dear all, I am 1st time cruiser with my 2-year old. I booked some excursion and planned to leave my 2-year old (26 months) at port play.

But, I just read some where else in the forum, it said parents MUST stay on ship if child is on diaper !!!

Does anyone can answer my question ? My son would not need diaper change until later in the afternoon.

We just went to Alaska with my sister in law and she has a 2 year old and a 7 month old. She did take the whale tour with us and a bus tour of Victoria canada, so I know for a fact that parents can leave the ship and go do stuff.

The kids went along with her tho.

Yes, I have read on the NCL site that if you have children under two, the kids club will not clean up after your child. I would guess for health and sanitary reasons.

I think the NCL policy is clear. If a child is still in diapers, one parent must be available on the ship to do any diaper changes.

If you don't want to miss your excursion, can't you take your son with you?

OP I'm not judging you or trying to scare you about leaving your little one on the ship, while you go to port.

However, you may want to read the story in post #5 in this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31589132#post31589132

Lots of things can happen, depending on how far from the ship you were intending on going. Just food for thought.

To the OP, DD & my 4 yr old GS(DD son) & I were on the Jewel in Feb there is no way we would of ever left him on board. He can with us on all of the shore excursions. Did it ever occur to you what would happen if he became ill or got hurt how would they contact you in case of an emergency? There is no way I would ever leave a child that age or any child on board while I was on an excursion.

I don't think I will feel comfortable leaving my child on the ship while I get off whether they are potty trained or not. But maybe it's just me being paranoid. I know that NCL does not change diapers - I have been cruising with my child since she was 1. I would take him with you.

i think you got an answer, but just to confirm I found a FAQ on ncl.com that deals with this question.

http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-family-fun/kids-crew-and-teen-crew/faq#8

it would seem that if a child is still in diapers at least 1 parent will need to stay aboard in case attention is needed.

Personally I would never leave my two year old on the ship alone. What if somethings happens on your excursion and you can't make it back. What if something happens to your kid and they need to get a hold of you ASAP?

To the OP, DD & my 4 yr old GS(DD son) & I were on the Jewel in Feb there is no way we would of ever left him on board. He can with us on all of the shore excursions. Did it ever occur to you what would happen if he became ill or got hurt how would they contact you in case of an emergency? There is no way I would ever leave a child that age or any child on board while I was on an excursion.

POST of the day!!! I agree 100% would take the child or stay on the ship..

I would never leave the ship without my child.

With my daughter and potty training in one day, I just took off her diaper and put her chair in the middle of the floor and told her to go when she needed to and it worked..

I believe you have to stay on the ship:( or take her with!!

The OP posted on another thread today that he planned to take the baby with him on all excursions except one - whale watching that did not allow children. I can't imagine doing such a thing and I can't imagine the kid's staff going along with it either.

I took my two granddaughters to Bermuda last year ages 7&5. DH and I decided to take a walk after dinner while the kids were in the club. I was so nervous leaving the ship without them that we stayed off for 5 minutes and went back.i couldn't imagine leaving a 2 year old with strangers and them not being able to contact me.

OP I'm not judging you or trying to scare you about leaving your little one on the ship, while you go to port.

However, you may want to read the story in post #5 in this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31589132#post31589132

Lots of things can happen, depending on how far from the ship you were intending on going. Just food for thought.

Definitely agree. I would seriously think twice before leaving one that young on a ship alone ....

I don't think I will feel comfortable leaving my child on the ship while I get off whether they are potty trained or not. But maybe it's just me being paranoid. I know that NCL does not change diapers - I have been cruising with my child since she was 1. I would take him with you.

Mine is 15 and I've taken her with me on cruises since she was 7 .... I would never leave her on the ship while I got off .... so, you aren't being paranoid ... or .... I'm paranoid with you. Either is fine LOL

Stevenet, after reading this post a couple of times, the one thing that does bother me. And perhaps I am reading this wrong, is the line bolded above.

This leads me to believe that you already know that the kids crew staff will not/can not change your son's diaper (even if the rules did allow them to keep him while you went on your excursion) and that is OK with you because your "son will not need a diaper change till later in the afternoon."

Now, realizing that at this age children are fairly routine in their bathroom needs. However, in my experience that doesn't always guarantee they are not going to need to go in the non-routine times just as some very routine adults will need to go in non-routine times. If you are away from the ship and know that no one will change your child if the need arises. Are you prepared for your poor son to stay in a soiled diaper until your return?

Tricky situation. In worst case scenario, you must stay on ship with your son.

Actually, I think the worse case scenario would be if he left his 2 year old in port play then didn't make it back to the ship before it departed. Or if something tragic happened to child or parents while they were apart.

This thread is unbelievable. This guy is seriously considering leaving a toddler in diapers on board while he (and mom presumably) goes out to have fun on an excursion, while leaving the poor child in a dirty diaper?

And what if you miss the ship? What if he gets sick or hurt?

Hate to say it but I'm sorry, you're a dad, and you need to be there for your kid. There will be time for fun like this in a few years, but until then either step up and do what's right or leave him with the in-laws.

Sorry to be so blunt but as a father myself I'm just shocked.

You all may want to consider the possibility...I repeat possibility, that this thread was started just to get everyone going....leaving babies/kids on the ship is a hot topic after all.

If the poster is genuine...even though I totally agree with all of you (hell, I go so far as to say I don't like bringing a baby that young on a cruise in the first place, but that is just me....) the OP didn't ask us if he should leave the baby...that wasn't his question.

I am very much hoping this is just a case of trolling.

Archived