Amsterdam 115 days 1/5/13-anyone know what shots, visas are needed?

darts

Ok, let me say this, Welcome to Cruise Critic, and you lucky dog you, a World Cruise, I am so jealous.

Now to what you ask, I cannot answer you but you need to go to the roll call for your cruise and you will learn everything you need to know. It is well underway, so you will have a lot of reading to do. You can go to the last page and introduce yourselves and ask your questions.

Below is the link. Have an awesome cruise, could you pack me in one of your bags...........please :D:D

WORLD CRUISE - Amsterdam Jan 5, 2013 - Cruise Critic Message Boards

The roll call is a great suggestion.

Also, HAL will send you the appropriate information in plenty of time, or this has been my experience on cruises visiting Asia, South America, Australia and Africa. Many CC folks can also relate what their needs were going to specific countries. HOWEVER, particularly the Visa information can change at any time. Over the years I have been to countries where I had to get my own VISA and then the next time the Ship got a VISA for all on board and charged it to our accounts.

Shots - frequently depends on what countries you visit prior to the country in question.

South America and Yellow Fever shots is a prime example of this.

The roll call is a great suggestion.

Also, HAL will send you the appropriate information in plenty of time, or this has been my experience on cruises visiting Asia, South America, Australia and Africa. Many CC folks can also relate what their needs were going to specific countries. HOWEVER, particularly the Visa information can change at any time. Over the years I have been to countries where I had to get my own VISA and then the next time the Ship got a VISA for all on board and charged it to our accounts.

Shots - frequently depends on what countries you visit prior to the country in question.

South America and Yellow Fever shots is a prime example of this.

along with that - add tetanus (highly recommended) and the Hepatitis A & B shot (highly recommended for even Caribbean).

Do hit your roll call and see what else is there. You may need to provide proof of immunizations.

And welcome to cruise critic:):) what a way to start - with a world cruise:D

Your roll call can help you with this question - but for general questions on HAL, the ships, whatever - we can certainly help:)

We're booked on the 1/5/13 Amsterdam for the full 115 days and wonder if anyone knows what shots and visas are required.

Welcome to the 2013 World Cruise.

For 2013, the only visa that you must get personally is for Brazil, which can be a 10 year visa if you like.

You can get a 1 year Australian visa conveniently on line but do not need to if you'd like HAL to do it for you.

Since we are not stopping in India and only going to Hong Kong in China and it is an SAR (Special Administrative Region), you will not need visas for either of these countries.

Visas for all other countries will be handled by the ship.

I believe the only shot you may need is for Yellow Fever for some Latin American countries. The rules for this keep changing each year and involve which countries you have visited before entering certain other countries.

Your personal doctor, or another doctor familiar with world travel, can suggest which other shots are recommended. These are a personal choice.

I suggest you search the World Cruise threads for the last several years to get more information than you ever thought you needed.

I'm certain you'll enjoy the cruise and be sure to make reservations at the Africa Cafe in Capetown. It is a dinner you'll remember for a long time.

Scott & Karen

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the suggestions re shots...I will look into which ones are required or just a good idea to have.

Call your doctor and give his nurse the list of all the countries you will be stopping at. She/he will have all the shots ready when your appointment arrives.

The itinerary on the Holland America website shows which ports require tendering, vaccinations, or visas. I assume it is geared toward US citizens, others may need to do their own checking. Personally, I would investigate vaccinations and visas on my own and would not trust a travel agent or Holland America give complete information.

This long link to the itinerary may work:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=WW&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&durationCode=&dateCode=1_2013&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=A310&webItineraryIdForAudit=WW3115

Archived