Ideas for pre-cruise actitivy?

seafarer71

My family and I will be cruising out of Boston in the near future. We plan on staying in Boston (Marriott Copley Place) the night before Embarkation. We want to arrive in Boston early that day (Sunday) to enjoy the city for a full day before leaving on Monday.

In order to do that, we will need to stay no more than 1 or 2 hours away from Boston on Saturday night to facilitate an early arrival in Boston the next morning. Does anyone have any ideas on good areas to stay? we thought about staying in Rhode Island somewhere (a state we've never been to), or perhaps somewhere outside of Boston a bit that has some interesting things to do. Historical things in the area would be a plus. I'm open to any suggestions on interesting places to stay. Thanks in advance for any input.

Where are you coming from? What date are you looking at?

If you're interested in historical stuff, I'd look at Lexington/Concord. You can do the Battle Road. There are museums in both towns, but Concord also has the 19th century stuff - Thoreau, Emerson, and the Alcotts. The museums have hours, but the outdoor areas are open until sunset - it's all National Historical Park. There are usually good Hotwire hotel deals on Route 128 plus the Colonial Inn in Concord.

It's a half hour to Boston on a weekend morning. A little more on a weekday.

How old are the kids? If they are teens/preteens, they will love Salem, Massachusetts. (but I'm not good with geography, so maybe it is too far out of the way, don't yell at me. lol) I do know that it is near Boston, because when we went with the Girl Scouts we went here and to Boston the next day.

If you're staying in Rhode Island and are interested in history, you could visit Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts, about one hour from Providence.

If you stay in the Sturbridge area on Saturday night, you can zoom into Boston via the Mass Pike on Sunday AM. Shouldn't be much traffic then.

Depending on how much time you're in RI, you could also visit the Newport mansions.

July 14 is Fire and Ice Day at Sturbridge Village. Antique fire engines and ice cream making. But the village is open only until 5 pm and costs $24 for adults and $8 for kids so if you don't have enough time, it's not worth it.

What's your travel time line? What time of day do you anticipate arriving in the Boston area? Are you coming on I80 to NY? Do you have the cars only directions through NYC to avoid I95?

I have granddaughters of a similar age. If your kids have been in the car from Wisconsin they are going to want to be out of the car. You might enjoy something more low key like Walden Pond and Old North Bridge in Concord where everyone can walk around and decompress. Go into Lexington for dinner and poke around there.

Getting into Boston on a Sunday morning will be easy. However remember that it is a summer weekend so places like Cape Cod and possibly Newport will be nutso.

Please post back. This is my home turf and I can answer your questions.

138East,

Long story, but we will actually be taking the New York Turnpike (from Buffalo area) to the Mass Pike into Boston. We probably would be arriving no earlier than lunchtime, so I think Sturbridge would be out. I like the sounds of the Concord area, so any advice/tips you have for 1/2 day in that area would be great! Years ago, I was in Lexington, but don't recall much. Thanks again!

What are you thinking of for a hotel? What kind of price? I'm seeing the Best Western Concord for $155 - short drive into town to wander around. Lexington is 20 minutes away via a drive along the Battle Road.

Most of the hotels are along route 128/I95 near the exits. Hotwire is offering the Westin in Waltham for $99 (4*). This puts you 3 exits south of route 2A where you can go east into Lexington Center or west into Concord Center along the Battle Road. It is also only a few exits north of the Mass Pike which is the route you would arrive on and would get back onto to go to Boston.

The kids are little with a short attention span. I'd go to the park headquarters in Concord by the North Bridge to get maps and information. Then I'd come back to the parking lot by Old north Bridge and let the kids walk around. If any of the museums capture your interest, I'd pick one. Skip Walden Pond on a summer Saturday. If the weather is good it will be a mass mob scene during the day.

I'd drive the Battle Road route 2A towards Lexington. There are places to stop along the way including a Visitors Center with a movie. In Lexington you can see the Minuteman Statue and poke around the stores in the square. This would be a good place to have dinner.

Do a google search on Minuteman National Park to see what captures your interest. You will have no problem killing an afternoon in this area and running the kids into the ground in the process.

Seems like $99 for the Westin is a pretty good deal, I might opt for that one. Our main criteria for a hotel are clean, convenient, and reasonable price. Do you know if there are any good breakfast options in the immediate vicinity of the Westin? Is the Best Western a vastly better option?

Your ideas sound great. A good mix of things that will interest both the kids and mom and dad. Thanks again!

We enjoyed the Concord and Lexington area. There is so much to do all around Boston. Plymouth might be too far out, but Plymouth rock is always interesting. You will just have to take another cruise out of Boston so you can see the sights. Or, maybe stay an extra day when you return from your cruise.

When you are in Boston besides all of the historical stuff, there is a nice children's museum.

What ever you decide you will have a great time.

Hey there Seafarer,

There are many great options in the Boston area...considering the young age of your children, here's a thought:

Instead of the history of Lex/Concord and the Westin Waltham....

Go to Plymouth for the very elementary-school appropriate history of the Pilgrims! It's about an hour south of Boston and would be an easy drive up to the Marriott Copley the next day.

-Of course, there's the famous "rock" to check out, and I'd highly recommend touring the Mayflower replica and Plimouth Plantation. It's really fun to tour the ship and walk around the Plantation with the costumed "pilgrims and indians" who completely stay in character:

http://www.plimoth.org/what-see-do/mayflower-ii

- Stay at the John Carver Inn which has a rain or shine great indoor theme pool which I'm sure the kids would love:

http://www.johncarverinn.com/plymouth_lodging/indoor_theme_pool/

- AND coming from Wisconsin, you'll enjoy the lovely beach and ocean around Plymouth. I'm sure the hotel could direct you to beach to swim at in the area. I live about 15 mi from Plymouth and there are beaches all around!

- Also, once in Boston, for kids your age, I'd highly reco the Boston Children's Museum and the New England Aquarium. Either would be a hit with 4/6 yr olds.

Enjoy the area and your cruise!

Lynne

With two small children I think the Westin is a good choice. It's a big hotel right on route 128 with blue tinted windows. During the week it's patronized by business travelers and has really good deals on the weekend. It's easy to find and right next to the exit. For what you want to do it's centrally located.

Pull up a map of the area and print it out so you can see where everything is. I'm not sure what to recommend for breakfast. My daughter used to live in Waltham and I will ask her. If you go into downtown Waltham you will find something.

I was going to suggest the Plymouth also, but I didn't know if the location was correct. The reason I was going to suggest Plymouth is because as a Kinder teacher I know that we spend a lot of time learning how the Plymouth children used to live. That said, whatever 138 suggests is always wonderful advice and just do what she tells you to do. lol

Thanks Got2Cruise. Plymouth is a great destination as is Salem (suggested earlier) but I don't think they are convenient for the OP coming in from the west. Plymouth is down by the Cape which could be tricky to get to on a nice summer Saturday and Salem is on the North Shore. Getting to either of these locations could add at least an hour onto their already long trip with 2 small children.

Thanks everyone. I too considered Plymouth, but agree with 138East that it is in the wrong direction. That will have to be a separate trip! Seeing as we will only have a half day at best, I think Concord/Lexington will be what we do. I appreciate the input, and hope to return the favor if any of you make it to the Midwest.

Archived