Freedom 6 night or Fascination 5 night -would you switch?

maxandmolly

I'm currently booked on the Freedom, 6 night Western Carribean, leaving FLL the Sunday of Thankgiving weekend. I have a 1A, porthole, Riviera deck.

Here's the thing: I could cancel and and have my deposit (booked ES) applied to a 5 day on the Fascination, Kay West & Nassau and save around $200 on the fare alone, even given the $50 cancellation fee.

I live between Orando and Tampa.

FLL will be about a 4 hour drive-and that doesn't count on there being holiday weekend traffic. It could easily turn into a 5 or 6 hour drive. Then I'll be paying to park. I'm sailing solo on a very tight budget.

I'll be visiting my Dad for Thanksgiving in Jax. The 5 day leaves on Saturday, a day earlier. I could stay with Dad Thursday to Saturday (hopefully not killing his wife in the process). Then he would drive me to the port and keep my car.

With my current booking, I'll be driving 200+ miles and back for Thanksgiving, then another 200+ to FLL a couple days later to get on a more expensive cruise. That's a tank & 1/2 or so more of gas, 400+ more miles driving, parking for 7 days, $200 higher fare.

If I switch, I drive less, save $200 on fare.

BUT I'm on an older ship with fewer amenities, less desirable ports. Freedom is Key West, Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios. Fascination is Key West & Nassau. I was on the Fascination for my first cruise and a blast (though my cabin ate & I were quite tired of each other by the time we debarked!), and it would 2 ports instead of 3, on of them, Nassau, a repeat.

I'm on a very tight budget and this Freedom cruise was going to be a TIGHT squeeeze $$$ wise.

So I'm very tempted by the savings and convenience factors of switching. But are the different ports and upgraded ship worth it? Would they be worth it to you? I know the real question is it worth it to me, but im not sure yet, so I'm looking for some outsider input.

I have sailed on the Fascination and a similar ship like Freedom. Personally, like the ships similar to Freedom. But for the savings, I would not hesitate to sail the Fascination. Had a great time on it.

If your on a real tight budget might consider a switch.

I'm on an unexpectedly tighter budget due to a flood of unexpected expenses! The problem of course is to book now, if I understand correctly, is that I would have to put down a whole new deposit, right?

I think ultimately the question is – is it worth it to you?

For me – I love the freedom so I would take that one, but money is not an issue for me usually.

I have not sailed on the fascination so I would ask what features does the freedom have, that the fascination doesn’t, that I would use?

If I was on a tight budget, I think I would be tempted to take the shorter cruise. The $200 and savings on gas and parking would pay for a few drinks, souvenirs, and maybe a tour. $200 for one extra night is a lot. Even though I don’t usually spend much while on a cruise, I would want to have some spending money.

I know you will have a great cruise no matter which one you choose.

I think ultimately the question is – is it worth it to you?

For me – I love the freedom so I would take that one, but money is not an issue for me usually.

I have not sailed on the fascination so I would ask what features does the freedom have, that the fascination doesn’t, that I would use?

If I was on a tight budget, I think I would be tempted to take the shorter cruise. The $200 and savings on gas and parking would pay for a few drinks, souvenirs, and maybe a tour. $200 for one extra night is a lot. Even though I don’t usually spend much while on a cruise, I would want to have some spending money.

I know you will have a great cruise no matter which one you choose.

I'm not a drinker, my bar tab last time consisted of 3 Cokes when my 12pack ran out,LOL. I put $200 cash on my S&S last time, paid for excursions, a couple things in gift shop, 'bar tab', tips, and still had money left over. I spent cash in Nassau for souvenirs of course but I really didn't spend a lot once on the ship.

The biggest differences between the ships are age, size and amenities. Freedom has the steakhouse, which I hadn't decided on yet-the MDR food was good enough last time for me. Everybody raves about the fish & chips. The Lifo buffet has more options (I think, somebody correct me if I'm wrong), more pools. It also has a MUCH bigger Serenity area, which is where I spent a lot of time on my first cruise.

I guess, I'm just afraid if I make a financially responsible choice, I'll wonder about what it would have been like in Grand Cayman, or doing Dunn's River Falls, etc. It'll be another couple years before I can put cruise $$$ together again.

I'm on an unexpectedly tighter budget due to a flood of unexpected expenses! The problem of course is to book now, if I understand correctly, is that I would have to put down a whole new deposit, right?

I just had to switch ships from the Freedom to the Fascination, like you are considering. I was booked ES, so I did have to pay the administrative fee of $50 pp to change, but I did not have to put down a new deposit. They just charged my credit card for the admin fee and switched everything over to the new cruise date. I even have the same booking number.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great cruise!

I have never been on the freedom. So I can't speak to that. But my wife and I are sailing the fascination for the second time in the last year. The main reason for us is that we just want some time alone and the fascination is a very affordable option. I think there are times to splurge and only you can decide if this is that time. But I feel you will have a nice time on either ship and one will save you a little money.

I have sailed on the Fascination and a similar ship like Freedom. Personally, like the ships similar to Freedom. But for the savings, I would not hesitate to sail the Fascination. Had a great time on it.

Can you explain why you like the smaller ships more? I've seen this comment here and there on the boards and I'm interested in your view (or whoever else wants to chime in) on it.

I'm not sure if this would work for you but did you ever consider going down to FLL on the train? I live in the Tampa area and always take the train since its much more relaxing and economical than driving. Its free to leave your car at the station and they have a discount if you are going on a carnival cruise. You have to call the 800 number to get the discount. The only drawback is you have to get to FLL the day before and stay in a hotel. I always stay at the sleep inn in Dania as they have free breakfast and a free shuttle to the port. Its also across the street from restaurants and publix to pick up beverages and last minute stuff. You'll have to take a cab to the hotel and upon return back to the station.

If you book at the sleep inn - book the train to the Amtrak Hollywood station and back from the FT. Lauderdale station. It saves on cab fare.

After saying all that I would definitely stay with the Freedom. Its much nicer all around and you deserve it! You will enjoy the ports more and you have more options on the ship. I was on the Facination last October and we had a blast but it was a totally different experience for several reasons.

Also, buy drink coupons on the carnival website and it will save you a little bit of money.

You know you could take the train to your Dad's house as well.

Since you booked an early saver, I could almost guarantee that that rate is going to drop before thanksgiving. But you have to keep checking it - daily! When it drops fill out the form and they will give you either an onboard credit or reduce your remaining payment.

What ever you do I'm sure you will have a great time!!

I'm not sure if this would work for you but did you ever consider going down to FLL on the train? I live in the Tampa area and always take the train since its much more relaxing and economical than driving. Its free to leave your car at the station and they have a discount if you are going on a carnival cruise. You have to call the 800 number to get the discount. The only drawback is you have to get to FLL the day before and stay in a hotel. I always stay at the sleep inn in Dania as they have free breakfast and a free shuttle to the port. Its also across the street from restaurants and publix to pick up beverages and last minute stuff. You'll have to take a cab to the hotel and upon return back to the station.

If you book at the sleep inn - book the train to the Amtrak Hollywood station and back from the FT. Lauderdale station. It saves on cab fare.

After saying all that I would definitely stay with the Freedom. Its much nicer all around and you deserve it! You will enjoy the ports more and you have more options on the ship. I was on the Facination last October and we had a blast but it was a totally different experience for several reasons.

Also, buy drink coupons on the carnival website and it will save you a little bit of money.

You know you could take the train to your Dad's house as well.

Since you booked an early saver, I could almost guarantee that that rate is going to drop before thanksgiving. But you have to keep checking it - daily! When it drops fill out the form and they will give you either an onboard credit or reduce your remaining payment.

What ever you do I'm sure you will have a great time!!

LOL, I live within 15 minutes of the first stop on your train from Tampa. I'd considered that option but was heavily discouraged by the FLL FAQ thread folks. When yoIu figure in taxi and hotel costs, I guess it would about equal out to gas and parking. But without the holiday traffic driving would surely be a benefit!

I guess I'm truly torn. I feel like "should" make the right financial decision but in my heart I want the big fancier, newer ship with the better ports. I just don't want to spend the next year cursing while I pay it off!

I might buy a couple drink coupons, but I doubt I'd use them all. We snuck on 4 airline size bottles of flavored rum on my 1st cruise in 2010, 3 of them are still in my kitchen cabinet. It's not that I object to others drinking, it's just bad for me.

I haven't sailed on the Fascination, but have sailed on the Imagination and the Fantasy. I've also sailed on the Triumph and Conquest. Personally, I enjoyed being with a large group on the larger ships, and the smaller ones are great for solo or small group/family. Imo.

I don't believe you will regret changing, and logistically, it seems the way to go. Financially as well. Many people hit bumps in the road and have to alter their travel plans. You are fortunate to have such a great option in the Fascination.

Sure, the Freedom is nice. But would you enjoy your cruise as much knowing that you could have saved quite a bit of $ by making the switch? Would you feel better laying on the deck of the Fascination, knowing that you saved alot of $? If I was in a financial squeeze at the time, personally, I'd switch.

I'm sure you will make the right choice for you.

Also, I can't Amtrak it to Jax. I can't be in the same house as my father's wife without an immediate escape route available to me. Or someone could easily end up...well, you don't wanna know.

I haven't sailed on the Fascination, but have sailed on the Imagination and the Fantasy. I've also sailed on the Triumph and Conquest. Personally, I enjoyed being with a large group on the larger ships, and the smaller ones are great for solo or small group/family. Imo.

I don't believe you will regret changing, and logistically, it seems the way to go. Financially as well. Many people hit bumps in the road and have to alter their travel plans. You are fortunate to have such a great option in the Fascination.

Sure, the Freedom is nice. But would you enjoy your cruise as much knowing that you could have saved quite a bit of $ by making the switch? Would you feel better laying on the deck of the Fascination, knowing that you saved alot of $? If I was in a financial squeeze at the time, personally, I'd switch.

I'm sure you will make the right choice for you.

Excellent points.

Only you can make that decision. Two hundred dollars to me is not a big deciding factor when it comes to vacations. To me six is usually better than 5 especially when it comes to cruises.

Only you can make that decision. Two hundred dollars to me is not a big deciding factor when it comes to vacations. To me six is usually better than 5 especially when it comes to cruises.

$200 is more money to some people than it is to others. For some people, they may be shaking their heads going, why fret about "just" $200? But for many others, like the scrape together enough for a cruise every couple years folks, it can be a bigger difference. Of course I want the nicer 6 night trip, that's why I booked it. But an endless outpouring of expenses (car accident, repeated get visits with a sick cat, etc) have changed my financial landscape dramatically.

Now, I'm thrifty just like the next coupon-er but I'd have to say go with the original booking. You deserve to go on the cruise you have your heart set on and between now and Thanksgiving, I'm sure you could find 35 other ways to save $200 somewhere else. :) GL and enjoy (((PS My 1st cruise is the Monday after Thanksgiving!!!)))

Now, I'm thrifty just like the next coupon-er but I'd have to say go with the original booking. You deserve to go on the cruise you have your heart set on and between now and Thanksgiving, I'm sure you could find 35 other ways to save $200 somewhere else. :) GL and enjoy (((PS My 1st cruise is the Monday after Thanksgiving!!!)))

This is exactly what my BFF is likely to say when I finally talk to her about it! And yes, I knew I wanted to go on another one by the time I woke up for our first port day. And a day at Half Moon Cay certainly sealed the deal!

BFF shocked me-she's usually my go for it, you deserve it voice, and agreed that switching made more sense. And really, it does. The savings in the fare, gas, time spent driving (on the Sunday of a holiday weekend who knows how long it would actually take me to get to FLL?), parking, recovery time post-cruise. With Freedom I'd go back the next day, with Fascination I'd get in on Thursday and go back Monday. Last time I needed that recovery time!

If I went on the Freedom, I'd spend half my time wondering if it was *really* worth the extra money, time, and hassle. On the Fascination I may wonder about the other ports, the nicer ship, but I'll be able to do it all in cash (barring anymore massive unexpected expenses, fingers crossed!) and that will help me enjoy it more.

So, after work I'll call Expedia and get it done.

I want to really thank everyone for their input. I value the opinions given on both sides and they really helped me clarify the situation so I could make a decision.

When I read the title of your thread, my first reaction was to say absolutely the FREEDOM. However, after reading your post, you make it clear that money is a HUGE consideration, in which case the FASCINATION is the clear choice.

The Fascination is cheaper, but it will also feel cheaper. While we've enjoyed sailing on her several times, she IS an older ship showing her age (even with all the updates). There are no "bells and whistles" like on the newer ships, but she's ideal for an inexpensive getaway where the main goal is to enjoy the basic pleasures of cruising.

Another advantage of the Fascination's itinerary is that both ports of call are easy to navigate on a budget. You can walk right off the ship and explore several tourists areas just a few feet from the port. No need to take excursions or cabs.

If you are still considering cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Freedom, but the cost of driving and parking is holding you back, have you considered THE FLORIDA EXPRESS BUS? It's an inter-Florida bus service departing from several spots throughout the state of Florida.

You can check their website at: http://www.thefloridaexpressbus.com/orlando-to-fort-lauderdale-transportation.html

Had I not bled out $1k in the last month in pop up expenses the driving and parking would not have been deciding factors. I know the ship is certainly a step down in amenities, age, etc. But at this point all things considered, I just can't justify it to myself. Hopefully things will calm down (please!) and I'll be able to start putting money away for a step-up cruise maybe next year.

MaxandMolly,

I think you will enjoy your cruise much more on the Fascination, given the circumstances. I feel your pain with the unexpected vet expenses...wow...we need some sort of health care reform for our pets!;)

Anyway, I'm positive that you will have a great cruise! Enjoy!

MaxandMolly,

I think you will enjoy your cruise much more on the Fascination, given the circumstances. I feel your pain with the unexpected vet expenses...wow...we need some sort of health care reform for our pets!;)

Anyway, I'm positive that you will have a great cruise! Enjoy!

Thanks! My Molly has a chronic condition so I never know when she's gonna cost me money, my poor girl.

So after taking everything into consideration I went ahead and made the switch. Less fancy, less frills, less $$$. More time to actually be OFF, not driving, more time to 'take a vacation from my vacation' before going back to work, more $$ to spend while on board, less worrying about every last penny.

Still get to cruise, still get to go to Key West, still get two sea days. Get a repeat of Nassau, get to pick something new to do (did catamaran sail & snorkel last time).

I feel good with my choice, though I'm sad to see my other cruise go. Maybe next year.

Can you explain why you like the smaller ships more? I've seen this comment here and there on the boards and I'm interested in your view (or whoever else wants to chime in) on it.

The smaller ships sometimes feel less crowded and easier to get around. It is also why I like the Carnival Legend out of Tampa. The Freedom has more people and has a more crowded feel. Don't get me wrong. If an opportunity to go on the Freedom was to arise, I would go on it in a heartbeat and have fun.

Out of all the ships, the Carnival Legend (Spirit Class) is my favorite. It is easy to get around, less crowded, and has all of the amenities of the Freedom and has more amenities than the Fascination.

Whatever you decide, you will have a good time.

Archived