Alaska Cruise

TXRed

Hi! We haven't cruised for about 8 years and are now looking at an Alaska Cruise next year and need lots of advise. We are looking at RCCL out of Seattle, 7 days....and that's about it so far. When is the best time to go? I checked with RCCL ad it looks like they sail out of Seattle from May to August. Is a balcony advisable? I am was told bugs in Alaska are a problem? I haven't started much research yet, and am looking for some some direction. Thanks!

I would post this on the Alaska Cruise Line Board where you'll get a lot of advice about Alaska Cruises.

There is no perfect time to go as you can get rain or cooler weather anytime.

With that said I would go June or July for a higher change of better weather. June would probably be my preference but there is no perfect time because weather changes not only year over year but even hour to hour.

It's nice to get a balcony but it is not required. I find that the best views are on the open deck. But if it's within your budget, a balcony is always nice.

Bugs love me and I have not had problems with bugs and that included going into a rain forest. You can bring insect repellent with you.

Alaska cruises are popular so I would try to lock in the dates and cabin for your cruise.

Be sure to come over to the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

Keith

I did a 10-day cruise to Alaska early last June. It was chilly & drizzley parts of every day, so my dressing in layers certainly came in handy. On our day in Tracy Arm Fjord, I REALLY wished I had my down ski jacket! I froze my butt off!!

I agree that it's nice to have a balcony for Alaska cruise.

We did not have bug problems on the cruise or during any excursions at the ports. However, mosquito is a big problem if you are going to Denali National Park.

Remember to pack warm clothes and rain jacket/umbrella. You will need them.

I have sailed to Alaska having a balcony, an obstructed view and a porthole which I shared with 6 other crew members. A balcony is nice but not essential. As you will be sailing out of Seattle you will be in the Pacific on the west side of Vancouver Island so you won't have any scenery to look at for the better part of a day in either direction so that would further reduce the value of a balcony to me. My favourite time in Alaska is the period from mid July thru mid August if only for warmer days....but there is no guarantee for weather in Alaska. Mosquitoes are seldom a problem in coastal Alaska but it never hurts to take a small pump bottle of repellent on excursions away from the coast.

We've sailed twice from Seattle in late July/early August. We never have had a problem with mosquitoes.

We sailed at the same time and had an issue with mosquitoes on one of our excursions on the water where we were in a rubber raft that took us see one of the big glaciers. I suggest you bring a box of those individually packed insect wipes with you just in case.

Binoculars are a must as is the best camera you have!

Happy sailing!:D:

Archived