Please help me plan my days....so confused

foreverinmyheart

I am traveling to Bermuda on the EOS at the end of the month. I have two small children (ages 2 and 6) these are the things we would like to do on our 2 days in Bermuda. Is it possible to fit all of this in and can you help me with what/when to do each day?

We would like to-

Visit St. George and see the Dunking of the Wench

Visit the Caves

Visit Sea Glass Beach

Visit another beach that has calm/shallow water. It can either be Horseshoe Bay (cove) if that fits in better with my plans or a beach such as Turtle Bay/Tobacco Bay. My kids are not big swimmers but would love to wade in some shallow water

BAM

Frog and Onion (for a dark and stormy-lol)

And to make things more confusing....I am thinking of booking two excursions...a dolphin excusrion that we can either do Monday or Tuesday but the time is limited (only 1:30 time slots available on either day)

And a Pirate Adventure Boat that leaves at 7:00 pm Monday (there is a 9:00 pm outing as well but not sure if that would be too late for the kids)

Can you help plan when and what I should do in order of location?

Thank you so much!!!!!

You are on Explorer of the Seas with the departure of 7/28 and arrival in Bermuda on 7/30 at 9:00 and departure from Bermuda on 7/31 at 5:00pm. Are you the only adult traveling with the children?

JMHO but I think you have too much on your plate. I would not do any excursions.

Easy to fit in and do -

The Frog and Onion is a 5 minute walk from the cruise ship; do it whenever.

The sea glass beach near the Dockyard is a 20-25 minute walk for an adult or a 5 minute bus/taxi ride. Can be done any time there is daylight.

Skip and do next visit -

The caves require you to descend 85 concrete steps to enter them and of course climb the same to exit

May not be available -

The wench dunking is only done on Wednesday and Saturday, I think. If I am correct will you still go to St George?

To do -

I would go to Horseshoe Bay and baby beach on Monday; HSB is closer than the other beaches mentioned and does have full facilities.

Visit BAMZ on Tuesday, getting the earliest start you can. Ferry to Hamilton and bus/taxi to BAMZ. Remember this is departure day:(.

SBtS

Thank you so much!!! I didn't realize that the dunking of the wench is only on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I probably won't go to St. George then since that was the main reason I wanted to go there. My husband will be with me as well so it will be a little easier. I am glad you mentioned the steps to the caves, I knew there would be some but 85 seems a little difficult to maneuver with two little ones (and I was sure the 2 year old would want to be carried!)

Thanks again, I really appreciate your reply.

I think one of the best beaches is Tobacco Bay, it has amenities and is shallow with huge boulder breakers (great for snorkeling and kids). It is also about a mile walk from St.George. It was a mile walk uphill, we did take a cheap taxi going but I didn't realize how close it was to st. george. Also the other poster I think was mistaken, I think that glass beach is near St. george not the navy yard. Also Tobacco bay has enough sea glass. We had to be a little careful because of all the glass. This is also a great snorkeling beach. You have to visit St. george when in Bermuda, it is great for kids and photos in the stockades. We bought a couple of kid's Police Bobby hats in one of the gift shops I think for $5. I think everyone on the cruise has a photo of my kids wearing these Bobby hats.

Day 1 Ferry- St. George/Tobacco beach/Glass beach?

Day 2 Shuttle bus- Horseshoe bay/ then navy yard

Day 3 Ferry- Hamilton/Fort Hamilton(short day)

I didn't consider the caves, I think the reviews were mixed and possible bad area? We went to the Gill lighthouse but was a little difficult with kids since the stairs are narrow and the steps are somewhat open. In addition the railing at the top was to wide, had to hold onto the kids.

I think one of the best beaches is Tobacco Bay, it has amenities and is shallow with huge boulder breakers (great for snorkeling and kids). It is also about a mile walk from St.George. It was a mile walk uphill, we did take a cheap taxi going but I didn't realize how close it was to st. george. Also the other poster I think was mistaken, I think that glass beach is near St. george not the navy yard. Also Tobacco bay has enough sea glass. We had to be a little careful because of all the glass. This is also a great snorkeling beach. You have to visit St. george when in Bermuda, it is great for kids and photos in the stockades. We bought a couple of kid's Police Bobby hats in one of the gift shops I think for $5. I think everyone on the cruise has a photo of my kids wearing these Bobby hats.

Day 1 Ferry- St. George/Tobacco beach/Glass beach?

Day 2 Shuttle bus- Horseshoe bay/ then navy yard

Day 3 Ferry- Hamilton/Fort Hamilton(short day)

I didn't consider the caves, I think the reviews were mixed and possible bad area? We went to the Gill lighthouse but was a little difficult with kids since the stairs are narrow and the steps are somewhat open. In addition the railing at the top was to wide, had to hold onto the kids.

No, the other poster is correct. There is a large sea glass beach a short distance from Dockyard that is far more convenient to get to from ships berthed at Dockyard, where the OP will be (which is why visiting that sea glass beach is recommended for those at Dockyard). Given what the OP wants to see and the days of the week they'll be in Bermuda, a trip to St. George's might not fit into their schedule.

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate all of the input!

I wouldn't do the dolfphin encounter with a 2 and 6 year old. I think you have to be older than 3 to do it anyway. You can see the dolphins though, it is a short walk to it from the ship and there is an entrance fee, but it includes the fort as well. The dolphins are in a very small pool. We saw it last year and my daughter wanted to do it this year (she's 8) but then decided against it. It is also quite expesive.

We did a glassbottom boat excersion that was nice, if you are looking to do an excersion with the kids. The captain brought bread to feed to the fish, so u=you will see a lot.

foreverinmyheart -

Talk about confusing; the only way I could understand what was happening was to copy your posts and paste them in order into Word.

So based on your last post, I have revised my plan:

No excursions. (no change from my first reply)

Easy to fit in and do (no change from my first reply) -

The sea glass beach near the Dockyard is a 20-25 minute walk for an adult or a 5 minute bus/taxi ride. Can be done any time there is daylight.

Skip and do next visit (you agreed with me and will do this when the boys are older) -

The caves require you to descend 85 concrete steps to enter the caves and of course climb the same to exit.

May not be available (you agree with me and will not be going to St George; will go next visit) -

The wench dunking is only done on Wednesday and Saturday. You are in Bermuda on Monday and Tuesday.

To do (changed) -

I would go to Horseshoe Bay and baby beach on Monday; HSB is closer than the other beaches mentioned and does have full facilities. Since Gibbs L/H is close to HSB, you should visit it also on Monday; it is a very short bus ride. I would not think either child would do the climb (88 steps).

To do (no change from my first reply) -

Visit BAMZ on Tuesday, getting the earliest start you can. Ferry to Hamilton and bus/taxi to BAMZ. Remember this is departure day :(.

To do (added) -

Tour the Dockyard on Tuesday when you return from BAMZ.

Is this up-to-date & do you agree with it?

SBtS

foreverinmyheart -

Talk about confusing; the only way I could understand what was happening was to copy your posts and paste them in order into Word.

So based on your last post, I have revised my plan:

No excursions. (no change from my first reply)

Easy to fit in and do (no change from my first reply) -

Skip and do next visit (you agreed with me and will do this when the boys are older) -

The caves require you to descend 85 concrete steps to enter the caves and of course climb the same to exit.

May not be available (you agree with me and will not be going to St George; will go next visit) -

The wench dunking is only done on Wednesday and Saturday. You are in Bermuda on Monday and Tuesday.

To do (changed) -

I would go to Horseshoe Bay and baby beach on Monday; HSB is closer than the other beaches mentioned and does have full facilities. Since Gibbs L/H is close to HSB, you should visit it also on Monday; it is a very short bus ride. I would not think either child would do the climb (88 steps).

To do (no change from my first reply) -

Visit BAMZ on Tuesday, getting the earliest start you can. Ferry to Hamilton and bus/taxi to BAMZ. Remember this is departure day :(.

To do (added) -

Tour the Dockyard on Tuesday when you return from BAMZ.

Is this up-to-date & do you agree with it?

SBtS

Yes, I agree with it all and appreciate you taking the time to help me. I was wondering though. If I got an early enough start on Monday, could I possibly go to Bamz first, then take the bus from Bamz to HSB and the lighthouse? Then on Tuesday, I would stick close to port and visit the dolphins and sea glass beach. How does that sound? Again..thank you so much!

I wanted to add ( did not know how to edit the post above) that I did book an excursion (pirate glass bottom boat) but it is not until 9 pm on Monday so I will have the whole day.

I didn't book the Dolphin Quest yet, I am thinking of just seeing them while we are at Maritime Museum. Not sure though, my 6 year old really wants to get in the water with them. This woulod be done on Tuesday when we are staying close to the ship.

I wanted to add ( did not know how to edit the post above) that I did book an excursion (pirate glass bottom boat) but it is not until 9 pm on Monday so I will have the whole day.

I didn't book the Dolphin Quest yet, I am thinking of just seeing them while we are at Maritime Museum. Not sure though, my 6 year old really wants to get in the water with them. This woulod be done on Tuesday when we are staying close to the ship.

It's expensive to actually get in the water with the dolphins. If I read their web site correctly, the least expensive option is $160 per person.

It's expensive to actually get in the water with the dolphins. If I read their web site correctly, the least expensive option is $160 per person.

You are corect, and that is for a quick 15 min while you sit on an underwater bench and they swim up to you. However, I did it years ago and it was a chance of a lifetime so it may be worth the $$ to see how much fun my son is having. Still deciding though....and the only time slot they had left was 1:30 so that would break up the day a bit. :(

Yes, I agree with it all and appreciate you taking the time to help me. I was wondering though. If I got an early enough start on Monday, could I possibly go to Bamz first, then take the bus from Bamz to HSB and the lighthouse? Then on Tuesday, I would stick close to port and visit the dolphins and sea glass beach. How does that sound? Again..thank you so much!

Here's how you could do it.

On Monday take the 10:00am ferry to Hamilton arriving there at about 10:20am. I would highly recommend taking a taxi to BAMZ to save the 6yo the uphill walk to the bus terminal and you from carrying the 2yo up the same hill.

No matter how you get to the BAMZ, I will assume you start touring there by 11-11:15am and tour for 2 hours.

From BAMZ, you return to Hamilton by bus or taxi where you board a route #7 bus to Horseshoe Bay/Gibbs L/H and arrive at one or the other by 2-2:15pm. Since Gibbs closes at 5:00pm, I would suggest going there first if you intend to climb the tower and you won't have to worry about leaving HSB sooner than you want if you were to do HSB first.

Something to new to consider – since you wrote that the beach does not have to be HSB, how about Shelly Bay Beach & Park located about a 5 minute bus ride from BAMZ. The link provided mentions a concession stand but it has closed so you would have to carry prepackaged food and water. When done there, return to the Dockyard by bus then ferry.

If you read the link provided, it mentions Shelly Bay Market Place as a full source grocery store. It looks to be about a block from the park entrance on Google,

Do Gibbs Tuesday AM.

SBtS

I think that it is great that you are looking for great family things to do.

After seeing the murky water at the dolphin encounter my daughter said "no thanks"! She did enjoy watching them and looking around the maritime museum.

My biggest worry for you is that after enjoying the beach, sun, and sights that a 9:00 pm tour may be a lot for the kids.

We will be going to Bermuda for our 7th time in a few weeks. My kids get very cranky after a day on the go in Bermuda. My kids are now 17 and 14 but when we first went they were 9 and 6. You know your kids and what they can handle. I hope that you really enjoy your cruise and this wonderful island :).

Thank you both you your replies. This board is so full of wonderful information.

SBtS- thank you for mentioning Shelley Bay Beach, that certainly is an option and since it is so close to BAMZ, it seems more practical.

Jim- I agree on 9:00 being a bit late for the kids. There as a 7 pm pirate cruise as well but I was worried we would be rushing to make it back in time (and wanted a little time back on the ship to relax and have the kids take a late afternoon nap)

If we end up doing Shelley Bay Beach ( and skipping the lighthouse) I may be able to change my reservations to the 7:00 excursion. Although, if they indeed take afternoon naps (not always a given) they should be ok for the later tour.

Ah......so many things to consider. :cool:

Again, I appreicate all the feedback! :)

Thank you both you your replies. This board is so full of wonderful information.

SBtS- thank you for mentioning Shelley Bay Beach, that certainly is an option and since it is so close to BAMZ, it seems more practical.

Jim- I agree on 9:00 being a bit late for the kids. There as a 7 pm pirate cruise as well but I was worried we would be rushing to make it back in time (and wanted a little time back on the ship to relax and have the kids take a late afternoon nap)

If we end up doing Shelley Bay Beach ( and skipping the lighthouse) I may be able to change my reservations to the 7:00 excursion. Although, if they indeed take afternoon naps (not always a given) they should be ok for the later tour.

Ah......so many things to consider. :cool:

Again, I appreicate all the feedback! :)

Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide. That makes sense about the beach and skipping the lighthouse and doing the earlier tour. If you are in an interior cabin napping is easy since there is no light btw. Just remember to give yourself permission to alter the plans based on weather or on how you and the kids feel. You are on vacation after all :D

Archived