Cruise in Asia/Middle East?

pilotboy1985

Hi Everyone,

The husband and I have been on three cruises so far, with our 4th cruise in October.

I've seen some cruises that go from Europe to Dubai, or Dubai to Singapore. I would be interested in these types of cruises because they are so unique.

I've been to Asia before, twice to Singapore, once to Thailand and once to India. I felt comfortable in all these places, however some of the other ports like Guam, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, etc worry me slightly.

Was wondering if anyone has done a Middle East/Asia cruises before with a partner and how did you find it? Did you pretend you were brothers/friends?

ALSO, My partner and I don't do Public Displays of Affection and we keep to ourselfs. My concerns would be dealing with the officals, like customs, tour operators, locals, etc.

When we went to India we pretended to be brothers, just to be on the safe side. We even had our beds seperated just to ensure no-one suspected.

Hi Everyone,

The husband and I have been on three cruises so far, with our 4th cruise in October.

I've seen some cruises that go from Europe to Dubai, or Dubai to Singapore. I would be interested in these types of cruises because they are so unique.

I've been to Asia before, twice to Singapore, once to Thailand and once to India. I felt comfortable in all these places, however some of the other ports like Guam, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, etc worry me slightly.

Was wondering if anyone has done a Middle East/Asia cruises before with a partner and how did you find it? Did you pretend you were brothers/friends?

ALSO, My partner and I don't do Public Displays of Affection and we keep to ourselfs. My concerns would be dealing with the officals, like customs, tour operators, locals, etc.

When we went to India we pretended to be brothers, just to be on the safe side. We even had our beds seperated just to ensure no-one suspected.

Dubai, perhaps I'd visit. They seem pretty moderate. Singapore, most definately.My partner, who's Chinese is from Malaysia. They're fairly moderate, but not if you're caught in a gay act(even in your own home). It's one of the reasons he chose to stay after college.

so far we have never had any issues. We just never do public displays of affection. We don't even do that here in the States, we do not find it necessary at all.

Same here. We just go out & have fun. Judging by your extensive Celebrity listing, I see you like that line. We're thinking of leaving Cunard,as they are cutting back in the Caribbean area. What do you like about Celebrity that has you choosing them?

Keithm, it is a long story, but we are 100% loyal to Celebrity and Azamara, They have always gone above and beyond as far as we are concerned. The food has always been excellent and we have always been treated great. We usually travel with friends and after each cruise they agree and become loyal to the brand. The extra perks for loyalty are nice also.

We loved our first cruise on Century in 2006. We had a fabulous waitress and room attendants. Our cruise on Millennium in 2007 actually crashed in Villa France and we were docked at Rome for most of the two weeks while they attempted to fix the issues with the propellers. Very long story short, they treated everyone great, we had tours for free all over Italy, got 100% of what we paid for the cruise returned, plus got the amount we paid for that cruise as a credit for a future cruise, plus a rechartered flight home. They indeed went above and beyond and earned our loyalty forever.

If you want to know more, please let me know. I love discussing Celebrity and Azamara

I've never encountered any issues anywhere. I've cruised to Dubai, Oman, Jordan, Egypt and never felt like anyone really cared if I was traveling with my partner or not. We have never felt the need to pretend to be brothers or just friends, etc. We just go where we want and engage with the local people. I actually found that some of the friendliest people I have met were those in the Middle East. As long as you're not making out in the middle of the street, no one cares what your business is ;)

Pick a place that interests you and go visit!

Michael

We too have never had an issue or found the need to pretend to be anything. We were respectful of the culture and norms and don't do PDA's. Don't personally like seeing anyone (gay or straight) doing that.

Most uncomfortable I ever have been was in Jerusalem and that was simply because I am not used to everyone carrying guns around.

I've never encountered any issues anywhere. I've cruised to Dubai, Oman, Jordan, Egypt and never felt like anyone really cared if I was traveling with my partner or not. We have never felt the need to pretend to be brothers or just friends, etc. We just go where we want and engage with the local people. I actually found that some of the friendliest people I have met were those in the Middle East. As long as you're not making out in the middle of the street, no one cares what your business is ;)

Pick a place that interests you and go visit!

Michael

I agree ... and the same go's for Malaysia which but the way has gay bars.

Neil

I can only offer that my partner and I spent a month in Sri Lanka, and always felt at ease. (And the men's room in the Colombo rail station was like, um...) Same, as I recall, with India and (many years ago) Egypt. On the other hand, traveling overland through Syria - way back when it was practical - we cheerfully allowed people to assume we were brothers. (Really, it was more germane not to let people know I was Jewish.)

The Dubai-or-not question is reminiscent of the Jamaica/St. Petersburg threads: the issues go beyond one's personal safety in the temporary closet. While Dubai is relatively tolerant for the region, homosexuality the UAE is punishable by prison, chemical castration, and death. The are no gay groups allowed, and gay night in a nightclub was shut down by the government. I'm not being holier-than-thou here (after all, I went to Syria, and Burma under the junta), but it's good to be aware of where your tourist dollars are going.

It's interesting that folks feel impelled to disavow PDAs. I'm not sure I feel it "necessary" to hold hands with my partner or give him a peck on the cheek when other people are involved, but I'm happy that, when the urge strikes, nobody in San Francisco seems to give a fig if we do what straight people do without a second thought. If I see a couple holding hands, I think Isn't that nice? I'm curious as to why it makes other folks feel uneasy.

Archived