I HATE Buffets

Marillian

People, waiters/servers, included never sneeze, cough, scratch, etc.,? Right! The MDR is on this 'enclosed' ship, isn't it?

People also never wear open toed shoes in the MDR?

Do we really want to know what goes on in the kitchen at the MDR?

They don't use heat lamps in the MDR? I'm thinking they do. ;)

People walk by the tables leaving little bits and pieces of themselves on the table tops.

Do you use your hands to pull your chair up to the table? Do you think the chairs are wiped down after each meal? How clean are the s & p containers?

Could go on and on. Relax.

Thanks, I will be the nutcase washing everything down in the MDR now. ;)

My point was simple: those same germ carrying unhealthy people standing in line in the buffet are the same germ carrying unhealthy people that go to the MDR (ever seen the staff wipe off the menu you touch before you touch it?) and all the other areas of the ship. They sneeze in the gift shop just like in the buffet line; they cough in the MDR just like they do in the theater. You can't condemn the buffet without condemning ALL areas of the ship.

Practice good hygiene, was your hands, use hand cleanser etc.

Spent 14 of 20 military years at sea and despite rigourous daily cleanings if illness broke out it spread like wildfire. Ships are natural self contained incubators of humanity. However I am not condemning the buffet only for germs but for the overall operation that buffets work by. Waste, food quality and the glutinous opportunities they often offer.

Ships offer great opportunities for fun and illnesses. As do many things.

Spent 14 of 20 military years at sea and despite rigourous daily cleanings if illness broke out it spread like wildfire. Ships are natural self contained incubators of humanity. However I am not condemning the buffet only for germs but for the overall operation that buffets work by. Waste, food quality and the glutinous opportunities they often offer.

Ships offer great opportunities for fun and illnesses. As do many things.

All I can say is WOW! You must be a blast when aboard ship :eek:

Look, no one wants to be sick but it does happen. DW and I were on the now famous "Crown Princess 4 days to no where"; a ship that got so sick it was ordered back to Ft. Lauderdale. We were fortunate and didn't feel the effects. We practice very good hygiene when aboard ship and for that matter when staying at hotels. But we recognize that others don't but those types of practices are the same on every part of the ship or any other public place.

Room service is 24/7, We have ordered room service on sea days! Sometimes just don't feel like dealing with all the people at the buffet.

I must have not have worded it correctly. I am aware the room service is available 24/7, including day of debarkation.

What I meant to say is that even though the MDR is closed for lunch on port days, room service can be ordered to avoid the buffett.

Carole

I hate buffets too, both on land and at sea. I eat in the MDR as often as possible. If I do find myself on board at lunch time, I go to the most "made to order" venues I can find. I like the asian, deli and the pizza. There's nothing at the grill that I don't eat at home, so that doesn't interest me, plus it's all pre-cooked and just sitting there. If there are other venues such as fish & chips, the mongolian wok or the burrito bar, I go there. The only thing I use the buffet for is the fresh fruit/salad bar and the desserts. If you time it right, you're in port at lunch time and can eat locally, always a treat.

All I can say is WOW! You must be a blast when aboard ship :eek:

Look, no one wants to be sick but it does happen. DW and I were on the now famous "Crown Princess 4 days to no where"; a ship that got so sick it was ordered back to Ft. Lauderdale. We were fortunate and didn't feel the effects. We practice very good hygiene when aboard ship and for that matter when staying at hotels. But we recognize that others don't but those types of practices are the same on every part of the ship or any other public place.

I am a blast not just hanging out with you as you go back for your fourth plate of food at the buffet. ;)

WOW :D

I am a blast not just hanging out with you as you go back for your fourth plate of food at the buffet. ;)

WOW :D

:( Now you've done it, gone and made me cry! Yea right! This 61 year old 5'11 172 lbs, marathon running, iron pumping retired military man only goes to the buffet line one time, right after my two hour work out; and no, it doesn't take 4 plates, one piled high is enough. :D

Whew, not sure how come the threads all have to turn judgemental.

Truthfully is it anyones business how much others eat? Or what they eat???

If someone is overweight it's their own business, if someone can eat like crazy and not gain weight, awesome metabolism.

Judgemental people crack me up because they are so busy judging others they don't get to really enjoy their own lives.

I do not care how much you weigh, who you choose as a life partner, what color your skin is, what your religion is, or any other factor that makes us unique in this world.

Be a kind soul and I want to get to know you, that's really the only factor I have in who I choose to be around. Selfish, judgemental people, nope, don't wanna know you!!!

I hate the buffetts mostly because I've never really found anything good on them, I do agree the omelette station is a good thing, but we eat when most people do so the lines are just so long, I'd rather go to the MDR, be seated and not worry about getting in lines, feel like a cattle call.

Salad bars were my friend untillllllllllllllllllllllllll lol I was in line behind a friendly, happy elderly man, he was enjoying picking all that delicious salad and dressing, and then he went and did it, big ol' smile on his face, he used his finger to clear the potato salad service spoon and then he LICKED it and went on the next salad and repeated the process:eek: so alas no more salad bar for me!!!

The fried fish station with the cerviche is a good place to go on the conquest size ships and not so overcrowded.

Buffett or not, you won't go hungry, well at least if your not too busy watching what others eat, wear and do to eat your own food.

Germs live everywhere and on everything, the more our bodies are exposed, the better immunity we have, so it's not the germs (except seeing people lick stuff, ewwwwwww) that bother me, it's the lines.

BTW Norovirus is not killed by the gel!!!

Cheers, Carole

People that make you cry and hurt your feelings :( :D:D:D

ROFL, I don't let anyone hurt my feelings, you don't either I suspect!!!

If we allow some bully on an internet forum hurt our feelings then we need to take some self esteem courses, don't you think???;)

People, waiters/servers, included never sneeze, cough, scratch, etc.,? Right! The MDR is on this 'enclosed' ship, isn't it?

People also never wear open toed shoes in the MDR?

Do we really want to know what goes on in the kitchen at the MDR?

They don't use heat lamps in the MDR? I'm thinking they do. ;)

People walk by the tables leaving little bits and pieces of themselves on the table tops.

Do you use your hands to pull your chair up to the table? Do you think the chairs are wiped down after each meal? How clean are the s & p containers?

Could go on and on. Relax.

You need to take a galley tour, the kitchen is spotless. It's a well oiled machine, shiney, stainless steel!! Beautiful kitchen, better than most restaurants I'll bet!!!

Cheers, Carole

Nawwwwwwwwww this isn't hostile, just normal CC stuff, got all different kinds here. I have learned to take the good and enjoy what I can.

I do tend to give a not so gentle reminder when people start getting really obnoxious about things they don't like.

There are some here that really must be in line for sainthood :rolleyes:

It's all good!!!

Happy Sunday!!

Who said I haven't?

They show you the good, but not the bad and ugly.

I just didn't see the bad or the ugly, I saw clean areas and really focused people working very hard!!! I'll keep on my rose colored glasses and choose to believe it's all clean!! ;)

Carole

ROFL, I don't let anyone hurt my feelings, you don't either I suspect!!!

If we allow some bully on an internet forum hurt our feelings then we need to take some self esteem courses, don't you think???;)

You got me ;) I do understand the concerns some have and for those people, if their fears are best handled by sitting at the MDR, that's great. Personally, I want to eat when I want, choose what I want, sit where I want (or can find) and enjoy the company of my fellow cruisers. And not have to dress up, even casual. I'm on vacation! I don't even mind those woman who take a break from sunning coming in the buffet for a little snack; what does bother me is the men who come in wearing that European speedo!! :) There are mirrors in each cabin aren't there? :eek:

You got me ;) I do understand the concerns some have and for those people, if their fears are best handled by sitting at the MDR, that's great. Personally, I want to eat when I want, choose what I want, sit where I want (or can find) and enjoy the company of my fellow cruisers. And not have to dress up, even casual. I'm on vacation! I don't even mind those woman who take a break from sunning coming in the buffet for a little snack; what does bother me is the men who come in wearing that European speedo!! :) There are mirrors in each cabin aren't there? :eek:

And that is so the beauty of cruising right? You can choose what works best for you!!! And ewwwwwwww on the European speedos.

I think one reason why I hate the crowds is because I wear a cochlear implant and it picks up all the massive noise!!

But I think everyone should just do their own thing, it's the judgemental ones that just make me smack down :p I mean people quoting how much someone has on their plate??? Who does that???

Happy sailing, Carole

It's not that I dislike the buffet per se, it's the waiting in line and then trying to find a table with your hands full of food that is getting cold that I dislike. I tried the breakfast buffet once on the Glory. Way too long of a line, and tables scarcer than snow in July. Not fun at all.

Archived