taking a college test while in Aruba on cruise ? help !

RobynHenry

We are set to go on Carnival Freedom with our grandsons.....one got the OK from his college professor but was told today he had to take a 3 hour test on July 19, 2012 . We are in Aruba that day . Any suggestions ? He will have to miss his tour and just look for WiFi at the port I think. Any ideas on cost ? He is an engineering student and needs access to the computer to take his test. Thanks for any help or ideas ! Lea

I have done this before and will be doing it again in Aug. I just bring my laptop and do it in my room. For 3 hours of test time, I dont think it will be too much money. I wouldn't want to take my laptop of the ship or risk an internet cafe not working with my schools software.

There is wi-fi on the ship, but it can be a bit expensive, but may be worth it for the quiet of the cabin while he takes his test. Of course, the ships net is often very slow and may make testing frustrating, depending on the way the test if formatted. If you do decide to seek out a cafe in Aruba the best thing to do is ask the crew where they go for internet, they always know the closest, cheapest, best spots to access the web!

I have done this before and will be doing it again in Aug. I just bring my laptop and do it in my room. For 3 hours of test time, I dont think it will be too much money. I wouldn't want to take my laptop of the ship or risk an internet cafe not working with my schools software.

Not cheap and it is slow. For 240 minutes cost is just under $ 100

Not cheap and it is slow. For 240 minutes cost is just under $ 100

Agreed, but will still do it again on my computer in my room with no distractions. I guess my 3 hour test only took me .5 hour on last crusie. I would open page 1 of test, log of internet, answer qusetions, log back in and proceed to next page. Plus when you add the time you spend getting to a coffee shop, ect., I am willing to pay extra so I can get back to the vacation. He could even get up extra early and do it before they port and still do their excursion.

I would never pay carnival's rates, which start at 75 cents a minute when I can go to a internet cafe and pay $1 to $5 a hour .. usually somewhere around $3 a hour.. why would anyone pay those rates.

btw I go to internet cafes in almost all the ports .. every cruise, many many times a year. I have never had a problem being hacked or whatever that person is worried about so they are going to do dial up speed on the ship in their cabin at ridiculous prices.

Don't rely on the ship's internet service - it's incredibly slow and unreliable. I would head straight to the visitor information center when you disembark and ask for the nearest internet cafe or WIFI hotspot. Explain why you need it. They are extremely helpful.

We were in Aruba in February. We had booked a private ATV tour but ended up docking about 1.5 hours late and disembarking an hour after that. We were pretty sure we had missed our excursion and couldn't reach the ATV company by phone. We decided to go to the visitor center information desk. They could not have been more helpful - really bent over backwards and tracked down the ATV company and made sure we got to do the excursion. The guy at the desk said, "This is Aruba - everyone should be happy!" We were really impressed.

To the one person who says sit in the cabin and use the slow cruise internet .. it took me 4 minutes to load one yahoo email and get to it... hey no would I want to take a test on that slow dial up speed. I am spoiled by wifi which all the ports, including this one has.

Why have to take a test with slow internet and be so annoyed you want to scream, and your cabin may have poor connection depending on where its location. I have a forward balcony on deck 6, and the connection was so poor it kept falling off, too far from the hub.

The ship's Internet is not only overpriced, but it often fails to function at all -- dropping connections. As you watch the spinning wheel, wondering whether the connection is still alive, paying the exorbitant rates, you eventually realize that the signal has failed. It might work well sometimes, or it might not connect at all. I consider this junk product from Carnival to be about as close to consumer fraud as you can get, even worse than the junk jewelry, junk watches, and junk art auctions.

The trick of disconnecting to work on a page offline, and then reconnecting to upload your work, is risky because often you won't get back on for five, ten, fifteen minutes. If the program serving your test requires any amount of bandwidth, that, too, can be a problem.

Under no circumstances would I use Carnival's Internet service. Follow others' advice, go to a reliable Internet cafe.

Why can he not take the test early or late??? Can he not work with the teacher to take the test when he is not on a cruise? I would think that if he spoke with the teacher things could be worked out. What if he skips the test. People miss important test all the time due to illness, passing of loved ones, car brakes down ect. What do they do???? He should be able to work something out and not stress on the cruise if internet will work. What if he can not get the test to connect. What will he do?? If this test is so important he needs to work it out before he leaves.

Good luck

I will be on the Freedom with you! Can't wait! I found several resources for wi-fi in Aruba. Not everything I read was dated, so I don't know how current my info is. Apparently there is a Dunkin Donuts close to the pier that has free wi-fi. There is also a McDonalds (not sure of location) that has free wi-fi. Here is a site I found that also lists wi-fi locations on a map and looks to be a good resource: http://www.wificafespots.com/wifi/city/AW--Oranjestad. Here is a 2nd website that has info about accessing paid wi-fi "hot spots" in Aruba: http://www.visitaruba.com/about-aruba/general-aruba-facts/communication/. One concern may be the battery power of his laptop. While it looks like he will be able to find wi-fi access, he may be less successful in finding a power source to plug in his laptop (if he needs this option). I know my laptop would probably not hold a charge for 3 hours anymore- especially if I am accessing wi-fi and utilizing multiple programs. I noticed one of the paid wifi "hotspots" is the cruise terminal. He may be able to find a location on the ship where he could connect to the cruise terminal wifi and have access to a power source. I read somewhere (sorry I can't be more specific- I have been on too many websites to keep them straight), that someone was able to access the wi-fi from their stateroom balcony and the cost was $2.95?/ hour. This and an extension cord might be a great option!

Hope this helps!

And now for the rest of this story. The professor moved the test until the tuesday after we get back. Not just for my GS , lots of complains I guess. Great relief and we are now ready to pack and enjoy ! Kim300 are you going to the meet and greet? Will look for you :) . We will be the happy ones.

Lea

My daughter had a test to take and had to be on a certain day as most are. That day the ship's wi-fi was down so she could not rely on that so went into Puerta Vallerta and took it at a wi-fi cafe. Would have been really in trouble if she relied on the ship as her professor warned her that he would take it off line after that day. Better have a back up plan.

Agreed, but will still do it again on my computer in my room with no distractions. I guess my 3 hour test only took me .5 hour on last crusie. I would open page 1 of test, log of internet, answer qusetions, log back in and proceed to next page. Plus when you add the time you spend getting to a coffee shop, ect., I am willing to pay extra so I can get back to the vacation. He could even get up extra early and do it before they port and still do their excursion.

Archived