Zaandam - should we switch cabins?

Appygirl

We - three of us - are booked in a triple on the Zaandam room B6203. Looks like a good enough cabin for us. My elderly father walks with a cane and likes a room near the elevators which is where we are according to the deck plan. We have now been offered a switch down the hall to 6219 which is a BB and according to the deck plan a further walk from the elevators and a savings of $300 total for the cabin, ie $100pp. Money is not the issue here. $300 one way or another isn't going to be a dealbreaker or maker. Does anyone have any opinion on which of these cabins would be better or is there really no difference other than 6219 is closer to the bow - if I'm reading those plans right. Thanks!

If your elderly father walks with a cane, and wants to be close to the elevator, then keep the cabin close to the elevator.

By the end of the day, even more by the end of the cruise, all those extra steps take their toll.

Another consideration is that the closer you are to the bow, the more likely you will feel motion. Another think to consider for your dad is the bathroom situation...do they both have either a tub or shower......if they are different, which would be easiest for your dad to get in and out of?

We - three of us - are booked in a triple on the Zaandam room B6203. Looks like a good enough cabin for us. My elderly father walks with a cane and likes a room near the elevators which is where we are according to the deck plan. We have now been offered a switch down the hall to 6219 which is a BB and according to the deck plan a further walk from the elevators and a savings of $300 total for the cabin, ie $100pp. Money is not the issue here. $300 one way or another isn't going to be a dealbreaker or maker. Does anyone have any opinion on which of these cabins would be better or is there really no difference other than 6219 is closer to the bow - if I'm reading those plans right. Thanks!

I would go with 6203, apart from being close to the elevator, you would be clear of any noise that you might get if you were over the MDR in 6219.

john

Both cabins have tub w/shower, so that's the same. Cabin 6219 is further aft. Cabin 6203 is precisely mid-ship.

I figured you would know all this!!! Good info!!! Since I like mid-ship, my choice would be 6203.

Thanks everyone for the answers! My inclination was not to change cabins unless someone here said 6219 was incredibly outstanding in some way and that I absolutely should go for it. My 82 year old father is a frequent cruiser and he knows what he likes. 6203 suited all his requirements - bathtub, balcony, and close to elevators. A different cabin offer would have to come highly recommended from someone for me to make a switch.

Both cabins have tub w/shower, so that's the same. Cabin 6219 is further aft. Cabin 6203 is precisely mid-ship.

Cabin 6203 is precisely mid-ship. - Not on the Zaandam - 6203 is right beside the aft elevators: close to lido & MDR. :)

I would keep B6203. It's so close to the aft bank of elevators and Lido Buffett and Main Dining Room. Can't imagine any noise rising up from the Dining Room. Please stay with 6203 - your Dad will thank you for it. Enjoy your cruise. I loved the Zaandam & am looking forward to sailing on her again next year. Also loved the no nonsense Captain, Andre van Schoonhoven. He truly cares for the safety of his passengers, crew and ship.:D

6203 is right at the aft elevators and 6219 isfurther towards the back and just 3 cabins from the stern, but 6203 is certainly not considered anywhere near mid-ship. Both are aft cabins.

Not on the Zaandam - 6203 is right beside the aft elevators: close to lido & MDR. :)

You're right. When I scrolled down the deckplans, I lost sight and count of the elevator banks.

Glad you double checked and made the correction.

;) I thought that's probably what happened. I wish we could see an entire deck without scrolling when we look at Deck Plans.

Its sooo easy. HAL, sends me the 'Future Cruise' Magazine, with deck plans for all the ships.

john

I would keep B6203. It's so close to the aft bank of elevators and Lido Buffett and Main Dining Room. Can't imagine any noise rising up from the Dining Room. Please stay with 6203 - your Dad will thank you for it. Enjoy your cruise. I loved the Zaandam & am looking forward to sailing on her again next year. Also loved the no nonsense Captain, Andre van Schoonhoven. He truly cares for the safety of his passengers, crew and ship.:D

Thanks! We told the travel agent to keep what we have. However if HAL offers a free upgrade to one of those deluxe suites on the floor above us we'll take it and we don't care how close it is to an elevator!

One of my father's favorite pasttimes is eating so that's another thing I like about a cabin close to these elevators. Get off and short walk to the grub! I hope the food on the Zaandam is as good as it was on the Zuiderdam!

Archived