Earliest time to be off the ship

suemag

The chances of making it would be so close to 'slim to none' that I doubt there is one poster on here who would advise booking this flight. The ship could be late arriving in FLL, but even if not it has to be cleared by customs, then all the pax who have are paying by cash and haven't paid their bill yet are called, those that have to report to immigration may be late-shows, then you would have to get off the ship, get your luggage, go through customs, get transportation to the airport, go through luggage check-in and security at the airport...

Get the picture? Most people don't even consider a flight until noon! :eek:

Most cruisers disembarking in FLL do not book a flight any earlier than 12 noon at the very earliest. Many don't book a flight earlier than 1:00 P.M.

Way too many variables that can delay your disembarking, arriving at the airport and clearning security.

If it were me, I would take my return tickets to the front desk on board ship the first day after sailing from FLL. Tell the front desk manager about your return flights. Show him/her your return tickets and ask for the earliest disembarkation number available.

You will disembark in small groups called by numbers issued by the front desk on the final sea day of your cruise. If you are issued a very early disembarkation number, your chances of making your flight are very good.

If you are last off the ship, you may be sunk! (IMO) Good Luck.

During all of my cruises, we allowed Holland America Line do the scheduling of the flights. If anythings happens before the cruise the ship sometimes will leave late if there are multiple passangers on the flight. The lines know when booking of cruises should happen.

You should be fine, assuming all goes well at the airport. The ship personnel try to get everyone with flight reservations off before those who are being picked up by private parties, and will take them out of order if the disembarkation process is running late.

We were given a letter "E" and approximate disembarkation time of 10:55 at FLL last week. We were called at 11:20 and the disembarkation process took about a half hour. We had cleared customs early in the morning and had only to take about 10 minutes in the line to show our receipt for the duties paid. The time was spent collecting our luggage and waiting in line for a porter before going through the customs line. We saw some friends who were in a suite and should have been off first sitting in the luggage pickup area - They were short a couple of bags. One of theirs was found dumped at the curb by someone who had gotten it by mistake, and when we left there at noon, they were filling out some claim forms.

Things can go wrong, and I suggest counting your bags as you set them out, again when you collect them at the port.

Slinkie

You can let them know the night before that you will be taking your own luggage off the ship (do not place in the hall) and then you can be the very first to exit the ship. We were off just right after docking in Seattle. Didn't have to wait at all - but you get no help with your luggage.

Best way, in my opinion, the taxi's were lined up and we got right in one!!

We used the Express mode on the last cruise. Were off the ship in FLL at 8:15 AM.

Keep in mind, you must carry your own bags, be a U.S. citiizen, and have a credit card on file to use Express.

I just had an 11:25 a.m. this past March and made it just fine. We were the second or third group called off the ship at 8:15 a.m. I would say that the 9:40 am flight you will never make. You will be fine with an 11:45 a.m. flight.

Oh we can definately use the express line. We travel fairly light anyway. Thanks to everyone who responed. And Sail7seas- I'll take the 80-20 odds!:D

Actually, Suemag....

I think I'd up the odds to 90-10 in your favor. You should be fine excepting some extreme, unexpected circumstance.

Archived