Baggage Question

Hi Everyone,

I can't seem to find this answer on the RCL website.

How many checked bags per person can you take?

How many carry-ons???

Sailing on Explorerer, 7 nights.

Thanks,

Sue

You can take on as many baggages as you can physically carry / take. If you are flying, you may want to check with the airline as to how many you can take and what charges exist for additional baggages and excess weight.

As others have said, usually the limiting factor is the airline, not the cruise line. For a 14 night, we usually have three checked bags and 3 or 4 carry ons (camera and laptop for me; carry-on and purse for my wife).

Another factor is what to do with those empty suitcases in your cabin. You'll have a difficult time stashing anything over 3-4 in your cabin, unless you have the owner's suite :D

Back in '07, we did Alaska on Princess with the in-laws. My SIL brought 8 bags. Yes! I said EIGHT!!!:eek: All her husband did was laugh. I would have been tossing them out along the highway to the airport. Thankfully we weren't flying together. On the return flights, they were charged $200 in overweight fees because she bought so much on the trip. They haven't cruised since.

You can take pretty much what you want as far as number of suitcases, just make sure that you can manage them all on your own. There are porters at the terminal, bell hops at hotels and such, but there may be a few times you have to do it for yourself.

We limit suitcases to two, my husband pulls each of those, then we share a rolling carry on and I have a tote that slips over the rolling carry on.

If you want to arrive at port early, remember the cabins aren't ready until around 1 pm and you will have to keep all carry on items with you.

As others have said, usually the limiting factor is the airline, not the cruise line. For a 14 night, we usually have three checked bags and 3 or 4 carry ons (camera and laptop for me; carry-on and purse for my wife).

Another factor is what to do with those empty suitcases in your cabin. You'll have a difficult time stashing anything over 3-4 in your cabin, unless you have the owner's suite :D

And if you are driving - the size of your car or truck.:eek:

Storage in the cabin is pretty good but limited. My wife and I usually stay in an inside cabin, but the storage for an outside or standard balcony cabin is the same. We take 1 large suitcase and 1 garment bag each, plus a smaller carry on (to use when we disembark). All of the drawer and shelf space in the cabin gets used. Closet hanger space usually has some spots left for us. Empty suitcases go under the bed during the cruise. Some people take a shoe back to put over the closet or bathroom door for toiletries and small items.

One thing to consider is: What will you be buying on the cruise? You might want a 3rd suitcase to carry back your purchases. Some people I know pack very tightly and then have no room to pack their ship and excursion purchases.

One reason I like to drive to the cruise is: I don't have to worry about the number of bags.

On our first cruise my DH and I had 5 bags plus 1 carry on between the two of us. We just nested the luggage and shoved it under the bed without a problem. We have since downsized since we didn't wear half the stuff we brought.

Archived