Traveling with a car seat?

ComeSailWithME

EDIT: Sorry for the typo in the title.. that is supposed to say "traveling withOUT a carseat". *goes back to drinking coffee*

Good Morning,

We are wondering if it would be feasible to travel without a car seat under these circumstances?

We are procuring a Lincoln town car rental to pick us up from the airport to take us to the cruise port (flying in the day of) and we can request a car seat in the car. Coming back, we will also use the same car service with car seat.

While on the cruise, the excursions we plan on will involve walking or the use of a shuttle/open air taxi or bus. We weren't really keen on bringing the car seat off the boat and lugging it around anyhow. We also have this:

0007146301091_500X500.jpg

thoughts?

I'd go without, but that depends on your personal parameters of safety. Some people on here wouldn't go on any moving vehicle (bus, train, plane, car, pony and trap) without a car seat, and if you're one of them, you need it. Others take a bit more relaxed approach to the extra risk, in which case, don't take it. All ship's excursions will be on buses unless stated, and many or most places will have taxis with car seats available.

I wouldn't want to carry a car seat onto a public bus in the Caribbean, if that's where you're going, because the chances are even if there are seat belts (unlikely), the driver won't wait till you've fitted it, so you'll be standing up on the move trying to fasten it down.

I'd go without, but that depends on your personal parameters of safety. Some people on here wouldn't go on any moving vehicle (bus, train, plane, car, pony and trap) without a car seat, and if you're one of them, you need it. Others take a bit more relaxed approach to the extra risk, in which case, don't take it. All ship's excursions will be on buses unless stated, and many or most places will have taxis with car seats available.

I wouldn't want to carry a car seat onto a public bus in the Caribbean, if that's where you're going, because the chances are even if there are seat belts (unlikely), the driver won't wait till you've fitted it, so you'll be standing up on the move trying to fasten it down.

At least here in the US, car seats aren't allowed on buses, even if there is a seatbelt. Leave it at home.

If you are taking a bus without seatbelts, you do not need a car seat. If the vehicle has seatbelts, you need a car seat or booster. I don't recognize the product in your photo, but then again there are many more products in the US than in Canada. To me (volunteer car seat tech in Canada) this does not look like a car seat substitute, but that is based solely on the picture.

Please take a quick look at the other car seat related posts on this forum. People who work professionally in areas who see the results of unrestrained passengers use car seats wherever they MIT be. Don't kid yourself to think its safe because everyone does it/we will be driving slowly/it's too much of a hassle. The laws of physics don't change when you travel.

If you are taking a bus without seatbelts' date=' you do not need a car seat. If the vehicle has seatbelts, you need a car seat or booster. I don't recognize the product in your photo, but then again there are many more products in the US than in Canada. To me (volunteer car seat tech in Canada) this does not look like a car seat substitute, but that is based solely on the picture.

Please take a quick look at the other car seat related posts on this forum. People who work professionally in areas who see the results of unrestrained passengers use car seats wherever they MIT be. Don't kid yourself to think its safe because everyone does it/we will be driving slowly/it's too much of a hassle. The laws of physics don't change when you travel.[/quote']

thanks for your input. The item in the picture is a sort of travel booster seat.. moreso designed to be used on a chair. I only posted it for possible use on a shuttle bus without seat belts as it can be strapped to the seat itself and provide some kind of a seat vs not one at all.

I am fully aware that the laws of psyhics do not change when traveling. We are being driven to the airport in my own car, have a car seat in the car service we will be procuring to get there and the only time we would be on a moving vehicle is at 2 stops, where we are taking a bus/shuttle without seat belts.

Don't kid yourself to think its safe because everyone does it/we will be driving slowly/it's too much of a hassle. The laws of physics don't change when you travel.

Actually being a passenger in a car without a car seat IS safe. Not absolutely safe, but then nor is being a passenger with a car seat. It's a matter of relative safety. Everything in life has its risks, and if all risks are to be avoided we certainly wouldn't go on holiday - with or without a car seat.

thanks for your input. The item in the picture is a sort of travel booster seat.. moreso designed to be used on a chair. I only posted it for possible use on a shuttle bus without seat belts as it can be strapped to the seat itself and provide some kind of a seat vs not one at all.

I am fully aware that the laws of psyhics do not change when traveling. We are being driven to the airport in my own car, have a car seat in the car service we will be procuring to get there and the only time we would be on a moving vehicle is at 2 stops, where we are taking a bus/shuttle without seat belts.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan for traveling safely. While it's not ideal to travel on a bus, they are inherently safer than smaller passenger cars and vans. Seems like a very reasonable risk for a short bus ride. Have a great vacation!

That's what I thought. FWIW if the vehicle has no seatbelts, then theoretically adding a seat like this would reduce the vehicle's ability to protect the occupant in a collision. I would go without if given the choice.

That's what I thought. FWIW if the vehicle has no seatbelts' date=' then theoretically adding a seat like this would reduce the vehicle's ability to protect the occupant in a collision. I would go without if given the choice.[/quote']

Thanks. We will travel with it anyway (it folds down to about 5 inches thick) for restaurants we visit while in port when a highchair isn't available but now I know not to bother with it on a shuttle.

You did not put the age of your child? We do not take them for our kids since they turned 3 - very cumbersome.

Very few times we ate ashore, maybe only a light lunch.

Do not expect the limo service to arrive with a seat - we booked one several times, it was on the request, and we never had one supplied.

When we asked the driver, we only got a shrug.

We sat with 2 little kids between us in the back seat.

You will get a booster seat on the ship for meals.

If you do take one - the law in Canada is that it must be in a clear bag and can go as checked luggage for free. We did that we where renting a car, because, they charged more to rent one than we paid new.

I used one of those for trips to Germany/Prague and not sure of availability of high chairs in restaurants

for anything else I wouldn't worry with it....I used it til about 2-2 1/2 yrs depending on size of my kid.

It was nice and small and portable but otherwise not legal for anything else.

I am not traveling with my car seat when using public transportation these days. I arranged for boosters in the rental cars.

If you do take one - the law in Canada is that it must be in a clear bag and can go as checked luggage for free. We did that we where renting a car, because, they charged more to rent one than we paid new.

It's not the law, but the airline regulations. There are no laws pertaining to how to travel with car seats on aircraft, only that approved seats can be used if the child is within the height and weight limits of the seat.

Any car seat tech (including me) will tell you never check a car seat or booster on an aircraft. DS1's booster has been brought as carry on luggage on both Air Canada and West Jet without a problem, especially when I have the airline's own policy printed out showing we don't have to check it.

We are wondering if it would be feasible to travel without a car seat under these circumstances?

thoughts?

Three infants traveling to Bermuda. We are leaving them in the car. Bermuda does not allow them on their buses and does not require them in their taxis, so we are leaving them at the port of departure in our cars.

Check with the country's requirements you are visiting.

Archived