Middle Aged Drama Queen's Eastern Med Review: Serenade, Pics, Surprises & Fun!

i posted this on the ncl board as it has SO much important info. i am planning this cuise and have mobility problems. the pics have been invaluable. i posted this at night and it was gone the next morning. guess there is etiquette here i didn't know about. or maybe just bad manners.....i just don't get all the juvenile pettiness between many cruisers....anyway...i think the review should be a sticky.....thanks so much:D

We have really enjoyed your review, so much so that we posted a link on our Liberty of the Seas roll call for next month so others on our cruise could enjoy your incredible experience and great humor. What a fantastic review.

We plan to start searching for your Freedom review so we can enjoy that as well. Less Blog Fodder without DH and all of the Klingons, but after following along with this review I am sure it will be a great read as well.

We have really enjoyed your review, so much so that we posted a link on our Liberty of the Seas roll call for next month so others on our cruise could enjoy your incredible experience and great humor. What a fantastic review.

We plan to start searching for your Freedom review so we can enjoy that as well. Less Blog Fodder without DH and all of the Klingons, but after following along with this review I am sure it will be a great read as well.

Kimberly...the Freedom review is UP! Well. It's started, at least!

Sherri,

This is by far the best TR I have ever read. Seriously amazing.

I leave on NCL's Epic and we are going to some of the same ports so I really enjoyed all your tips and hints. We are doing RIL for all three tours in Italy. And we are spending a few days pre-cruise in Barcelona. I was going to DIY there but I think we are going to do the tour you did and maybe one more. I will make sure not to lose my ticket ;).

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. For spending your time doing this!

Side note: Nice to meet a fellow Red Cross volunteer. I do DAT & ECC up in the Greater NY chapter.

You also made me dream to one day be lucky enough to cruise in the Royal Suite.

Now off to read the Freedom of the Seas review and remember my bachlorette party this time last year on it!

Edited by nyyhoneybee

Sherri,

This is by far the best TR I have ever read. Seriously amazing.

I leave on NCL's Epic and we are going to some of the same ports so I really enjoyed all your tips and hints. We are doing RIL for all three tours in Italy. And we are spending a few days pre-cruise in Barcelona. I was going to DIY there but I think we are going to do the tour you did and maybe one more. I will make sure not to lose my ticket ;).

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. For spending your time doing this!

Side note: Nice to meet a fellow Red Cross volunteer. I do DAT & ECC up in the Greater NY chapter.

You also made me dream to one day be lucky enough to cruise in the Royal Suite.

Now off to read the Freedom of the Seas review and remember my bachlorette party this time last year on it!

I'm so glad this was helpful; your comments made me smile! And a fellow DAT - DATS are where it's AT! I LOVE doing DAT...but for DSHR, my favorite thing to do is drive an ERV. Yes. I am one of those crazy ERV drivers you see on TV! :) My weird sense of humor fits right in with it! I LOVE the ARC - I think it's a top notch organization and I have met so many amazing people through it. Thanks for all the work you do for NY and the surrounding area; perhaps we'll meet one day on a DR! :)

Ah, the Royal Suite...a true once-in-a-lifetime experience! I'm just glad I took pictures so that even I am able to remember it when I'm old and grey!

1. We can pay $5E a person and ride the famed Santorini donkeys up the winding path…

2. We can pay $4E a person and ride the fast-moving cable car up the cliff…

3. Or, we can “hoof” it ourselves and walk with our own two feet up the cliff...dodging donkeys and donkey droppings along the way.

411854_3921168500558_1139227257_o.jpg

See the path? Zig-zagging up the cliff???

LOL Thanks for that, I could have done without the Coke squirting out of my nose though.

I have NEVER read a thread this long in my life! :eek: This is however amazing and I can't stop reading it. The only problem is now I want to go. So that means trying to figure out how long its gonna take to save for this one.

I'm so glad this was helpful; your comments made me smile! And a fellow DAT - DATS are where it's AT! I LOVE doing DAT...but for DSHR, my favorite thing to do is drive an ERV. Yes. I am one of those crazy ERV drivers you see on TV! :) My weird sense of humor fits right in with it! I LOVE the ARC - I think it's a top notch organization and I have met so many amazing people through it. Thanks for all the work you do for NY and the surrounding area; perhaps we'll meet one day on a DR! :)

Ah, the Royal Suite...a true once-in-a-lifetime experience! I'm just glad I took pictures so that even I am able to remember it when I'm old and grey!

I hate driving anything bigger then an SUV lol. My team captain wants me to take the ARC driving class but I keep finding ways to say no, lol. We will see how much longer I can hold him off for!

I would love to meet you on a DR or a cruise or somewhere else! One day!

I will cruise it.....eventually LOL!

Thank you so much for this review! :)

It doesn't appear that you tossed the coins properly.

I believe you put the coin in the right hand and toss over the left shoulder, or is it the reverse. It was 2 years ago that we did it. I did it wrong the first time and had to do it again...:rolleyes::D

Or do as my then 83 year old father did back in 2008. He stood on the bridge, to the side of the fountain, and threw his coin straight towards the fountain as far as he could. Unfortunately, he missed and hit someone in the head. :eek: ooops! You've never seen tourist move as fast as we did!

Sadly, he never made it back to Rome. :(

Edited by Iamthesea

Hi Sherri,

I am sooo enjoying your review! I am currently on page 34 and working my way thru. I have to say your visit to see "David" had me in hysterics and reading it out loud to my family!! I have one question (request). I am trying to order tickets for the Acceademia, we leave in two weeks and so far all I have is a phone number to call for reservations. I thought I remembered you making a note of how you acquired your tickets but looking back thru that part of the review I can't find it. Do you happen to have that information available?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Kim

Hi Sherri

GREAT REVIEW!!!

Thanks for taking the time, to put this together. I have 2 questions, regarding the meet and mingle. Hometown gift exchange? Can you please explain, what you did? Was it like a christmas gift exchange? Everyone brings a gift, than takes one from the table, and opens it.

Also what knid of game did you play, at the Meet and MIngle? Cruisin Schoozin?

Thanks for your help

Colleen

Hi Sherri,

I am sooo enjoying your review! I am currently on page 34 and working my way thru. I have to say your visit to see "David" had me in hysterics and reading it out loud to my family!! I have one question (request). I am trying to order tickets for the Acceademia, we leave in two weeks and so far all I have is a phone number to call for reservations. I thought I remembered you making a note of how you acquired your tickets but looking back thru that part of the review I can't find it. Do you happen to have that information available?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Kim

Hi, Kim!

The company that I used to pre-purchase our David tickets is HERE. Good luck! :) And the only tip/info I can give you is this:

DON'T WEAR A PERSONAL PANIC BUTTON WHILE VISITING!! :D

Hi Sherri

GREAT REVIEW!!!

Thanks for taking the time, to put this together. I have 2 questions, regarding the meet and mingle. Hometown gift exchange? Can you please explain, what you did? Was it like a christmas gift exchange? Everyone brings a gift, than takes one from the table, and opens it.

Also what knid of game did you play, at the Meet and MIngle? Cruisin Schoozin?

Thanks for your help

Colleen

Yes - the Hometown Gift Exchange was similar to a Christmas gift exchange.

All gifts were wrapped...and then, I brought post-it notes. I numbered each gift with a post-it note, i.e., #1, #2, #3, etc. I then made a post-it note for each number...everyone just drew a number and then took the corresponding numbered gift. We opened them one at a time, so the giver could explain what the gift signified.

The Cruisin' Schmoozin' Game...I'll attach a copy of it here. We just passed it out at the beginning and told people to see if they could match every square - with the exception of ONE. I'll let you figure out which square we hoped they didn't find a match for! :rolleyes:

hi sherri,

what international phone did you buy? was there a website you used or did you just go to your current carrier? i like the idea of just getting a separate phone with prepaid minutes for this trip rather than using my current phone. thanks!

I purchased a Mobal phone...it was pretty reasonable. Someone upthread asked about adding international to my iPhone - which, yes, I could have done...but I didn't want to carry my more-expensive iPhone in the ports and have it be stolen or lost or dropped. And I was so worried about accidentally turning on roaming charges and being charged a fortune!

My Mobal phone worked great, and it's now mine to keep for any future international traveling we do. I paid for the phone...and now I only pay every time I use it. If I don't use it - I don't pay. :)

O....M.......G!!!!!!!! Your are on my dream trip and this picture almost brings tears to my eyes, it is so beautiful, I have to make this my computer wallpaper!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

mm2.jpg

I had emailed the Taller de Tapas's manager, Kate Preston, a few months ago, via FB...telling her of our wish to have a big dinner/party...and would she be able to handle us? She had quickly emailed back, saying it wouldn't be a problem...they had a large banquet room in the back of the restaurant that could easily accommodate large groups. She then sent me a copy of their group menu, which allowed us to choose the quantity of tapas we would receive...for a certain cost. We chose the $25E per person menu, which included the following:

Round #1 of our tapas would include: toasted coca bread from Vic with tomato and virgin olive oil; Russian salad with marinated tuna shavings; cured farmhouse ham; and roasted Galician ham and smoked paprika canapé

After a breather, they'd bring Round #2 of our tapas, which included: Andalusian style fried squid rings; homemade cured Jabugo ham croquettes; patatas bravas (fried potatoes with aioli and spicy sauce), and sautéed spinach with chickpeas and Galician pancetta.

But hey...we're not done yet...! Nope. Round #3 will bring the following plates: chicken brochette marinated with wine and herbs; traditional roast cuttlefish and noodle paella with aïoli; and sizzling chorizo cooked in cider.

And for dessert? creme Catalana (like a creme brûlée). That's assuming you aren't in a complete food coma by then and can find room for dessert.

And if that's not enough for $25E per person, they're throwing in the following beverages:

White Wine: Almudes (Ribera del Jucar)

Red Wine: Almudes ( Ribera del Jucar)

Yeah. ALL of that for a measly $25E per person. What. A. Deal. :D

So...shortly after 10:00 pm...we settled up the bill,

My impressions of Taller de Tapas? A GREAT place to host a get-together in Barcelona. The private room was spacious and accommodating; the service was great; the food was plentiful and tasty. Definitely an "A" experience.

We are arranging a CC group for Taller de Tapas in November.

Did you have to pay a deposit in advance as this is what a group had to do last year.

Sounds like you were able to contact Kate Preston via facebook. Do you have an email address for her?

Have to say this is one of the best reviews I have ever read.

Still reading about Barcelona. Thank you so much.

Dear Sherri,

Just curious to know if the SOS dining room used a different mediterranean menu for this cruise as opposed to other cruises you've taken on Royal Caribbean. Did they still have lobster night? I was told by others who have taken Princess Cruiselines that the menus change for European cruises.

O....M.......G!!!!!!!! Your are on my dream trip and this picture almost brings tears to my eyes, it is so beautiful, I have to make this my computer wallpaper!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Wow - you're welcome! And thank you!

If you think the photo is beautiful - you should have been there in real life. It literally took our breath away! I hope you get to see this for yourself one day - it was awesome. :)

We are arranging a CC group for Taller de Tapas in November.

Did you have to pay a deposit in advance as this is what a group had to do last year.

Sounds like you were able to contact Kate Preston via facebook. Do you have an email address for her?

Have to say this is one of the best reviews I have ever read.

Still reading about Barcelona. Thank you so much.

Thank you - and you're welcome!

With regards to Taller de Tapas, we did NOT have to pay a deposit in advance, although I've heard that a group going in September this year has to pay a deposit in advance.

We worked with Kate Preston, but I don't know if she's there anymore. It does sound like the management has changed. The September group is working with Milly Montoya...and I don't have an email address for her. This for the Taller de Tapas at Ramblas Catalunya - the same one we used. The September group reported that it took 2-3 emails to Millie before getting a response.

I hope this helps you...somewhat! You could check out the September 2 (I think) sailing's Roll Call for more info on the Taller de Tapas dinner.

Dear Sherri,

Just curious to know if the SOS dining room used a different mediterranean menu for this cruise as opposed to other cruises you've taken on Royal Caribbean. Did they still have lobster night? I was told by others who have taken Princess Cruiselines that the menus change for European cruises.

No, they used the same menus as the other RCI ships (and I know this because when I sailed on the Freedom 2 weeks after the Serenade, it was the same menu!).

The Freedom served lobster on night #6 of the sailing - but it was not on their menu. The Serenade NEVER served lobster on our 12-night sailing. Other than the missing lobster, the choices were the same.

Edited by KansCocoa