Skagway to Whitehorse

Baileybasset

We have a rental car in Skagway and are driving the Klondike Highway. We thought it might be fun to go as far as Whitehorse and have lunch rather than turn around at Emerald Lake. Has anybody done this and is it worth driving the extra miles? We are in port 7 AM until 9 PM. Thanks for all responses!

We have a rental car in Skagway and are driving the Klondike Highway. We thought it might be fun to go as far as Whitehorse and have lunch rather than turn around at Emerald Lake. Has anybody done this and is it worth driving the extra miles? We are in port 7 AM until 9 PM. Thanks for all responses!

I have made the drive a few times, but never with a time constraint like with a cruise.

The distance between Skagway and Whitehorse is a bit over 100 miles if I recall (it has been a few years since I made this drive, so my mind is a bit foggy).

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that the rural Alaska and Canadian highways are not an interstate like you have in the lower 48 states. They remind me more of a rural US or state highway. It is a two lane road with a lot of inclines. You are going to get behind slow drivers and large motorhomes that are slow going up the hill. When people make the drive on these highways, I always tell them to estimate you will make about 40 MPH on average. You can probably pick up a bit of speed, but it is better to have too much and time than not enough.

That being said, I would allow yourself 7 hours driving time round trip. I might be unlucky, but the custom's crossing coming back into Skagway usually is crowded when I drive through, so I would allow another 30 minutes for that.

Given another 1 hour to get the rental car in the morning, 1 hour to return it and get back to the ship, 1 hour for lunch....

I think you should be able to make the round trip and make a few photo stops along the way. I don't think you will have a ton of time to play tourist, but it is a pretty nice drive. I would make sure to keep an eye on your watch and cut the trip short if need be.

How long it takes you and how fast you go will also depend a lot on your objectives in taking the drive.

For us the drive is all about the journey, not the final destination.

We deliberately go slowly to enable the person who is driving to enjoy the scenery as well as the passengers. When a fast vehicle comes up behind us, we turn into the first pullout to let it pass.

I agree that it is best to give yourselves extra time so you can relax and enjoy the trip, free to stop whenever and wherever you like along the way, never feeling rushed.

If I recall correctly, Murray did not recommend going all the way to Whitehorse if you are taking the drive for the scenery, advising that the scenery along the last 40 miles to Whitehorse was boring compared to what came before.

I have been to Whitehorse several times. Don't get too excited about "meal" options there. :)

It is a dull ride after Emerald Lake- the "scenery" drops off significantly- highway and shrubs mostly. Problem is, you won't have time for much of any activity in Whitehorse. I've driven up there for Harley shop purchases. :) Did take a look at the sternwheeler. :)

I agree, certainly allow much more time than you think, if you are going to Whitehorse.

Archived