Kindle fire

TinaT

Only you can decide if it's worth schlepping.

If I know I'm going to be reading outside I'll bring my Kindle Keyboard. If weight's an issue I'll bring my Keyboard. Also my Keyboard has a thin silicone sleeve, much easier to schlep than my Fire. If I am not going to read outside, weight or space is not an issue and I want to watch movies then I'll bring my Fire.

FWIW DD is able to download books onto her Keyboard 3G in Italy with no problem.

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you need to go online with it, you will have to buy an internet package through the ship. You cannot read outdoors with it but if you just want to use it for reading books inside then bring it. They are very small. I take mine with me everywhere I travel for checking email and websurfing at internet cafes while in port or at my resort on land vacations. I take my regular kindle for reading.

I have a Kindle Fire and will be bringing it (better than bringing all those paperbacks!!); however, I'm wondering if anyone here has used their Kindle Fire for sending/receiving email while onboard. Obviously I need to purchase an internet package to use. I just want to avoid bringing it AND a notebook computer. TIA

Lisa :)

I have a Kindle Fire and will be bringing it (better than bringing all those paperbacks!!); however, I'm wondering if anyone here has used their Kindle Fire for sending/receiving email while onboard. Obviously I need to purchase an internet package to use. I just want to avoid bringing it AND a notebook computer. TIA

Last year, on our first cruise, I took at netbook with me. Used it SOME, but really mostly ended up using the computers in the Internet Cafe, because of the larger keyboard. When internet is as expensive as it is (!!!), I wanted to get the most out of each moment.

Thus, this year, I'm thinking of taking my Fire. You can check email pretty quickly, without the boot-up time. I'll load some movies on it in advance for viewing on the airplane, and of course, some books.

Last year, on our first cruise, I took at netbook with me. Used it SOME, but really mostly ended up using the computers in the Internet Cafe, because of the larger keyboard. When internet is as expensive as it is (!!!), I wanted to get the most out of each moment.

Thus, this year, I'm thinking of taking my Fire. You can check email pretty quickly, without the boot-up time. I'll load some movies on it in advance for viewing on the airplane, and of course, some books.

I do know how expensive those internet packages are!! Once advantage of taking my notebook is I usually compose my emails in Word, then log-on to the internet, and cut and paste and then send my emails. This method saved me a lot of expensive time!! The internet cafe is an option; however, the smaller keyboard isn't all that bothersome to me. I just thought I could kill two birds with one stone by taking my KF and leaving the notebook at home.

I do know how expensive those internet packages are!! Once advantage of taking my notebook is I usually compose my emails in Word, then log-on to the internet, and cut and paste and then send my emails. This method saved me a lot of expensive time!! The internet cafe is an option; however, the smaller keyboard isn't all that bothersome to me. I just thought I could kill two birds with one stone by taking my KF and leaving the notebook at home.

Yes, the write it first and then cut-and-paste method is best! I still preferred using a full size keyboard. I'm a pretty fast typist, but couldn't on the little netbook. I guess a 220 lb man just has fingers that are too big.

I think I will just take my Fire though, and then use the computers onboard for any lengthy email writing. The fire can just accomplish so much in so little space (yes, I know it's not a ipad, but I haven't found my way clear to paying for one of those yet...blowing all my $$ on shore excursions in Western Med!!).

Archived