Orvieto anyone?

oceanbreeze50

I will be on the NCL Epic in September and would like to hear from those who have gone to Orvieto as part of a tour. Having been to Rome already and another trip planned next April, I want to see some of the Italy countryside leaving from the Port of Civitavecchia. Orvieto is one of the tours offered and I have searched the boards but not found any information that will describe the area. Can you help me with this? Thank you in advance for any information or advice that you can give.

We have been to Orviete several times, but never on a "tour." We often do driving trips in Italy and this is a town we enjoy visiting when in the neighborhood :) Orvieto is one of the more famous so-called Hill Towns of Rome (its actually not very close to Rome) and it does have its share of charm. We think its certainly worthy of a 2-3 hour visit (add more time if you want a long lunch). If you are looking at a full day tour it should include something else to fill out the day. Keep in mind that you will have to do substantial walking to see Orvieto (the buses park at the edge of town and you walk everywhere) and the town does have its share of slopes.

Hank

I will be on the NCL Epic in September and would like to hear from those who have gone to Orvieto as part of a tour. Having been to Rome already and another trip planned next April, I want to see some of the Italy countryside leaving from the Port of Civitavecchia. Orvieto is one of the tours offered and I have searched the boards but not found any information that will describe the area. Can you help me with this? Thank you in advance for any information or advice that you can give.

I just returned from a cruise and we did Orvieto with Romeinlimo. It was a fantastic day. We combined it with Civita di Bagnoregio. CHARMING towns. It took about as long to drive to Orvieto as it did to Rome, but it wasn't on the Autostrada, so it wasn't just freeway driving. It was through the countryside and the time really flew by. I LOVED Orvieto. I would really like to return to the area next time for a few days of pre-cruise touring. Here are a few photos:

This is Orvieto off in the distance...

DSC03423.jpg

This is the walk you must do to get to Civita di Bagnoregio

DSC03430.jpg

And this is how charming it looks when you get inside the little town.

DSC03451.jpg

We really enjoyed Orvieto. It is a delightful town within stunning vistas, winding streets and has a duomo that is unexpected based on the size of the town.

We visit Italy independently and not on cruises and visited one day while staying in Rome. We want to return for the food and wine festival one of the years.

We have visited Orvieto twice once along with a visit to Civita di Bagnareggio and in all of our travels,, this was possibly my favorite touring day. Our driver drove us right into the town of Orvieto so there was no need for steep walking. Once there, the streets are quite manageable. You will have a wonderful day!

We have been to Orviete several times, but never on a "tour." We often do driving trips in Italy and this is a town we enjoy visiting when in the neighborhood :) Orvieto is one of the more famous so-called Hill Towns of Rome (its actually not very close to Rome) and it does have its share of charm. We think its certainly worthy of a 2-3 hour visit (add more time if you want a long lunch). If you are looking at a full day tour it should include something else to fill out the day. Keep in mind that you will have to do substantial walking to see Orvieto (the buses park at the edge of town and you walk everywhere) and the town does have its share of slopes.

Hank

We visited Orvieto as a day trip from Rome about one month ago and we were able to take a bus into the center of town. No steep walking.

Arriving on the train from Rome, we crossed the street to the funicular which took us most of the way up the plateau. Disembarking from the funicular, we got into a small bus that drove us the remaining distance up the hill, and, finally, deposited us within 50 feet of the entrance to the cathedral. We particularly enjoyed the view of the countryside as we rode the funicular.

My understanding is that cars can only come up onto the plateau with special licenses. The car companies we read about on this site may have those licenses or they may simply be aggressive and drive up anyway. The point is that you don't have to walk no matter how you arrive in Orvieto.

The duomo is stunningly beautiful and I spent nearly 30 minutes just studying the carved panels on the front of the building showing stories from the Hebrew and Christian Bibles. (These carvings were the inspiriation for the bapistry doors of the duomo in Florence.) We had a guide who did a wonderful job of describing the frescoes inside the duomo as part of a two-hour walking tour. The frescoes were particularly interesting since the painter used them as an opportunity to get revenge on people on his life by painting them into various scenes of Hell.

If you want the contact information for the Association of Guides of Umbria, I can supply that. We've now used two individuals from this association over the course of several trips to Umbria.

If you like Italian ceramics, Orvieto is definitely worth a visit. There are dozens of shops to investigate.

We ate a delicious lunch at La Pergola in the covered patio in the rear of the restaurant. (address below) If the weather in April turns out to be too cool for outdoor eating, the interior is charming, too. Some thoughts: Definitely order Sagrantino wine. It's not well known outside of Italy -- similar to Chianti, but better. La Pergola in Orvieto is NOT the same as Las Pergola in Rome. The latter is a super-expensive, super-gourmet multi-hour meal. Orvieto's La Pergola is a friendly, casual trattoria with delicious regional food.

Trattoria La Pergola

Via dei Magoni 9/B

Orvieto, Italy

We rented a car and drove to Overito and Civita. We got lost on the way back to the ship and just made it in time. Fortunatly we left with plenty of time to get back. Your best bet is to get a group together from your roll call and go with one of the many private tour companies. Here are my pictures so you have an idea of what you can see.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1e98e90214e77bf9#cid=1E98E90214E77BF9&id=1E98E90214E77BF9%21118

Thank you all so very much for the information and photos that you so graciously shared. This is exactly the kind of place that I was looking for. I don't mind the long walk as it is part of experiencing Orvieto. It does seem to be lots of photo opportunities on the walk itself. I will definitely be booking this excursion ..... traveling solo this trip so may end up with a ship tour....but nonetheless, will have a wonderful time! Thanks to all again for sharing.

Sorry for my previous typo on the spelling of Orvieto. We do think much of the charm of this village can only be experienced by walking the streets and browsing the shops. Taking a bus from point A to point B might be nice for those with mobility problems, but you do miss half the town.

Hank

We do think much of the charm of this village can only be experienced by walking the streets and browsing the shops. Taking a bus from point A to point B might be nice for those with mobility problems, but you do miss half the town.

Hank

I'm confused by your description of the town. Isn't the historic town -- shops, restaurants, public buildings, ruins, residences -- on the top of the plateau?

On the ride down to the train station, two individuals got off at two different intersections. After the first one got off, I began to pay close attention to the scenery we were passing. I didn't see a single historic building. As far as the route the bus followed, all the charm was on the plateau.

Having walked essentially every street on the top of the plateau and having seen the houses on the slope down to the train station, I'm having a hard time figuring out what we missed by being deposited in the center of the town.

Incidentally, all age groups were represented among the people riding the funicular and bus with us, and included no one with visible mobility problems.

Have to agree with Hank..some of the tours leave out the good stuff. Plus they never really do impart a sense of the place to you.

We stayed at an agriturism just outside the Orvieto for three days. It is a wonderful area to explore on your own. I would rent a car and do your own thing. A GPS is very helpful.

I'm confused by your description of the town. Isn't the historic town -- shops, restaurants, public buildings, ruins, residences -- on the top of the plateau?

On the ride down to the train station, two individuals got off at two different intersections. After the first one got off, I began to pay close attention to the scenery we were passing. I didn't see a single historic building. As far as the route the bus followed, all the charm was on the plateau.

Having walked essentially every street on the top of the plateau and having seen the houses on the slope down to the train station, I'm having a hard time figuring out what we missed by being deposited in the center of the town.

Incidentally, all age groups were represented among the people riding the funicular and bus with us, and included no one with visible mobility problems.

Yes, the more historic part of the town is on the highest ground (very typical of any hill town since the high ground was the most strategically valuable). But most folks do not go to Oriveto for just this historic area but rather go to take in the entire small town. As you move down the hill you get into more of the shops and cafes although there is a hotel on the very high ground right near the walls. There is also an excellent tourist office (in the lower part of the town pretty close to the main parking area) where you can pick-up lots of free information on the town and region and also access free WiFi.

Hank

Hank

As in most hill towns the higher ground contains the most historic buildings since the high ground was considered the most strategically important. But many folks enjoy browsing the entire small town including the shops, boutiques, wine shops, cafes, etc. I guess its just one of those personal preferences but we enjoy taking in most of any town rather then a few historical highlights. Browsing most of the streets allows us to glance at various menus and decide where we will eat lunch (we think that food and wine is an important part of European culture).

Hank

But many folks enjoy browsing the entire small town including the shops, boutiques, wine shops, cafes, etc. I guess its just one of those personal preferences but we enjoy taking in most of any town rather then a few historical highlights.

Dear OP,

I don't think you have to choose between the historical highlights on the top of the plateau and the town's shops, boutiques, wine shops, and cafes. The piazza in front of the duomo as well as the main street leading away from the duomo contain at least a dozen ceramics stores. The main cross street contains a nice mixture of the places where the locals shop, tourist-oriented food and wine stores, and lots of cafes and restaurants. But please take some time to wander the small streets branching off these main streets. You'll discover that a local artist is a wood sculptor who has installed lots of his assemblages throughout the town. There's a charming cow, two different horse sculptures, and more to be climbed and photographed.

My husband and I happily spent more than six hours in Orvieto on the day we visited, two hours of which were spent doing an in-depth walking tour of the main historic sites with a licensed guide. Of course, we had different constraints. We didn't have to be back on a departing ship since we visited Orvieto on a day trip from Rome during three weeks of independent travel in Croatia and Rome.

We visited Orvieto and Civita together on a day trip to Rome and it was wonderful! They were having a festival the day we were there so no cars were allowed to drive up and we had to take the funicular. By taking the funicaular we walked all the way to the duomo instead of driving up to it. We did see a lot of the town that way but we would have as well if we walked down those streets during our day. It was a fun experience but it was very challenging to move around the town with the parade. That said the town is very charming and you can visit the duomo, go on the underground cave tour, do wine tasting and some shopping. An overall great day. Civita itself is definitely worth seeing and making the hike up as it's a very unique town.

If anyone is really interested in a fantastic wine tasting I suggest a visit to Decugnano dei Barbi winery! It's only another 20 minutes or so from Civita. It was a 2 hour tasting tour and the best one we've ever been on...and we are wine people! :D:p Make note that you have to have reservations though!

I just returned from a cruise and we did Orvieto with Romeinlimo. It was a fantastic day. We combined it with Civita di Bagnoregio. CHARMING towns. It took about as long to drive to Orvieto as it did to Rome, but it wasn't on the Autostrada, so it wasn't just freeway driving. It was through the countryside and the time really flew by. I LOVED Orvieto. I would really like to return to the area next time for a few days of pre-cruise touring. Here are a few photos:

This is Orvieto off in the distance...

DSC03423.jpg

This is the walk you must do to get to Civita di Bagnoregio

DSC03430.jpg

And this is how charming it looks when you get inside the little town.

DSC03451.jpg

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them with us :)

I was also on an NCL cruise a few years ago and rented a car from Hertz and drove to Orvieto for the day. It was very easy. On the way back we tried to locate Civita di Bagnoregio but only found Bagnoregio. Every person on the street in that town that we tried to ask spoke NO ENGLISH and we didn't speak any Italian. We had a GPS but it did not recognize it either. We drove in circles for quite some time before we finally gave up and returned to the ship. Hope you have better luck finding it when you go. Other than that, Orvieto was terrific! The cathedral is beautiful, especially if the sun is shining on the front. We found a lovely cafe for lunch. Do try the local wines (I believe it was a white wine). I am more of a red wine drinker but their white was very good.

I think we parked in an underground parking lot that had many escalators to take you up through the mountain. It was not a very long walk once on top.

However if the escalators are not working then you're screwed.

Regards,

Susan

Archived