QM2 Laundry Facilities Question.

T5LHR

I am sorry to post a new thread, I just have a couple of questions...

Within the laundries onboard, the irons, are they steam irons or dry?

Thanks, and sorry again.

T5

:)

Both…steam if you put water into the iron's reservoir and set the button for steam, or dry if you don't put water into the iron's reservoir and drain off any remaining water.

Just 42 more days until embarking on QE at Soton for Mediterranean cruise -- first time on QE for me, 8 nights to Civitavecchia.

I am sorry to post a new thread, I just have a couple of questions...

Within the laundries onboard, the irons, are they steam irons or dry?

Thanks, and sorry again.

T5

:)

They are regular steam irons of the type you will find in UK for domestic use. Be wary of them though - they get heavy use and some are better than others. In particular, exercise some caution if you are ironing something like a white dress shirt. Fire up the iron then try it out on the inside of the tail of the shirt where any staining or scorching won't be noticed. Once you're happy that it's performing ok then go ahead and do the rest of the shirt. Personally, I hate ironing with anything other than my own iron - it makes me nervous! :eek:

J

They are regular steam irons of the type you will find in UK for domestic use. Be wary of them though - they get heavy use and some are better than others. In particular, exercise some caution if you are ironing something like a white dress shirt. Fire up the iron then try it out on the inside of the tail of the shirt where any staining or scorching won't be noticed. Once you're happy that it's performing ok then go ahead and do the rest of the shirt. Personally, I hate ironing with anything other than my own iron - it makes me nervous! :eek:

J

Great advice J,

Thank you very much. I share the same feelings on any iron but my own... :D

I always take an old while handkerchief to use as a press cloth. I've seen some irons with pretty grubby sole plates.

Yes... I have a white linen napkin that I take away with me incase I have to re-iron work shirts... Hotel irons can be just as bad... :D

And I can't believe you lot are sharing ironing tips.

Sir Martin:D

Ha ha...

This is important stuff you know! :D

I need to look my best in case romance should blossom onboard... :eek:

I don't use the irons on board, I have the laundry service do it :)

In fact, I don't even iron before we leave home (other than maybe one shirt for dinner), I have a bag of freshly washed shirts to put in for ironing on arrival, this is supposed to be a holiday after all :D

I write on the laundry ticket "Hanging please" and they are returned all ready to go straight into the wardrobe :cool:

And I can't believe you lot are sharing ironing tips.

Sir Martin:D

And I can't believe that anyone actually bothers to iron something whilst they're on holiday :eek: Isn't that why the ship's laundry is there? :confused:

Isn't that why the ship's laundry is there? :confused:

I can cope with sending things to be cleaned... But, it is just not in my makeup to send something to be ironed, when I have been ironing my own shirts since I was 12... And there is a laundry almost directly above me one deck up...

Neither can I. Just because one can do it doesn't mean one should do. I'm losing the will to live. What the hell has happened to the western male?

SS

What happened to the western male is that the western female got tired of ironing his shirts...so the western male finally figured out how to do it! ;):D

What happened to the western male is that the western female got tired of ironing his shirts...so the western male finally figured out how to do it! ;):D

So after that five minutes what then? He decided it was a simple, boring task and so could be safely left to the distaff side.

SS

I do sincerely apologise for starting the thread.

No worries - it was in good fun. All straightened out now - 'bout the irons and what not. Western males and western females, scorching blows to the head, kudos to the military, best pressing cloths - damp good thread I say!:) cheers -S.

No worries - it was in good fun. All straightened out now - 'bout the irons and what not. Western males and western females, scorching blows to the head, kudos to the military, best pressing cloths - damp good thread I say!:) cheers -S.

I've got a couple of knitting patterns if anybody....

SS

Archived