Why are the pools salt water pools???

The pros and cons depend on who you're talking to at any given moment. There are benefits to both fresh and salt water. The reason salt water is used is because they take the water from the ocean, filter it and fill the pools. Most of the ships that I've been on replace the water every night making it fresh daily.

Beth

They use salt water because they can get all they need from the ocean. They tried to fill the pools with fresh water but it just took too long to empty 100,000 Evian bottles.....:rolleyes:

The reason that the water is salt water? The ship is in the ocean/sea and has access to a lot of salt water :)

A ship staff member on the CCL Paradise said that to filter it (like what's in your shower, etc) would take more effort than it is worth. I guess he's never tried to open his eyes under water. :eek:

I figured that they used salt water because they could just take it in from the ocean, but I guess I was wondering if people prefer it or what? I know some people even use salt water in their home pools. I also figured they could always fill the pools once every few months with fresh water and just keep the chlorine and stuff up to date, if they wanted to.

Do any of you prefer salt water pools and why?

I dont know....have you ever been in the main pools and looked at all the film that floats on the water.....I would think they would need to put a ton of chemicals in the fresh water to keep it sanitary if they were not refilling every night. I would gather that it is a lot less costly to use the filtered salt and refill daily, ensuring a clean and sanitary pool to swim it.

I will take swiming in salt water any day, over swimming in someones bodily fluids and sun screen from two days earlier in a fresh water pool. :D

I know that when I was on the Ocean Princess the pool had fresh water, and I've heard that all Princess ships have fresh water also.

I'll let you know in a few months if the pools on the Caribbean Princess are fresh water. ;)

Pools are fresh on Disney, Princess and HAL.

We only sailed on HAL out of the 3.. At the end of the day water didn't look very clean. I prefer swiming in the salt water.

We rearly going to the beach when on cruise, so this way I pretend that we are swimming in the ocean/sea. :)

Advantages and disadvantages to both. I do my swimming early in the morning frequently first in the water. The salt water floats you nicely but is usually cooler than the fresh filtered pools. Unless you have had some experience caring for a large public pool you have no idea of the difficulty in maintaining a safe bacteria count with a heavy and variable bather load. Surprisingly one of the largest contributors is sweat particularly in heated pools and hot tubs. The pool water definitely takes on a grayish cast after a long hot sea day. Sorry but those are the facts.

Archived