Best Sea Sickness Meds?

I am the same way. I can't even watch rides at the fair, sit in the backseat, ect.. First time I tried Meclizine, spent the first night throwing up in bed. Dramamine/Benadryl makes me too sleepy, never tried Ginger. The last 3 cruises, I have used the patches. Doctor told me to put it on the day before. Did that the first time, by day 3, I was having problems reading, I had no idea why. It was a fun drive home after the cruise. DS ended up driving most of the way. 2nd time, put it on the day before again, by day 2 my eye site was funny again, this time DH looked and told me my right eye was dilated. Took the patch off that night, took about 24 hours for it to go back to normal. 3rd time, I put the patch on the morning of, by lunch time, I had such bad cottonmouth, it was horrible. I ended up taking off the patch about 7pm that night, and was fine the rest of the cruise.

I am taking another cruise in 40 days (but who's counting :rolleyes:), and I think I will use the patch again, despite the side effects. Cotton-mouth is a heck of a lot better than spending the first night in bed throwing up! In my experience, it's usually only the 1st night that there is problem with sea-sickness, unless you hit bad seas, of course. By day 2, usually people get their "sea legs". This time, I will probably put it on again in the morning, and take it off later that night. I put the patch back on the plastic, in case I should need it for rough seas later in the cruise.

I get my patches from my pharmacy (doctor Rx) for $10, because that's our co-pay for insurance. My kids use Benadryl, and it works fine for them. They usually go to bed at a decent time the first night (10pm), which is good, because DH and I are usually wiped out from either the drive or shuttle/airport/shuttle that day. Plus we're getting old ;)

I used the patch on my first cruise but won't use one again...even though they come on my cruises with me, just in case. I had some really horrible side effects that lasted over two weeks.

I usually am really good about reading the rx info that comes with my meds but, for some reason, didn't with the patch. So when I started getting side effects one of the first was the reading problem. It was a little scary. Actually thinking it might be the patch I tried to read the rx info...and couldn't. My DH had to read it for me. Anf, sure enough, it's a listed side effect.

In defense of the patch, it did what it stated and I had no problem though many around me were using the provided bags for...

Thanks to all who posted about the generic Bonine at the pharmacy. I have been buying it over the counter for years and it gets really expensive when your buying it for five people. One of which can't ride in the car over 30mins without getting sick.

I will also use the Seabands and Earplanes on the plane.

I tried the patches way back in the early 90's and I was higher than a kite. It make the flight from NYC to Barbados go by quickly though. But I was not functional at all.

I have a unique allergy to antihistamines. So bendaryl is totally out for me.

Took them two years to figure that allergy out, they kept trying new antihistamine drugs, guess nobody was keeping track. Thank god for my GP - she was the only one to figure it out.

I will try the bonine again while I am home and may buy the patch as a back up plan.

Thanks again

All of the oral meds leave me super drowsy so I got the motion sickness patch, called Transderm Scop. While I haven't worn it on a ship yet I did test one of the patches to see if it made me drowsy and it did not affect me in any way. Here is hoping it keeps me from getting sea sick!

The patch (behind the ear) works miracles for my wife. Ginger, pickle juice and all the rest are for dealing with seasickness while the patch prevents it from ever happening to begin with.

It works for her anyway.

I was miserably nauseated on my first cruise. While the pills didn't make me sleepy, they made me feel weird--- like I was watching everything through a glass wall. Not pleasant at all. Cruising is too wonderful to miss!

Then the next cruise, I tried ginger and it changed everything! No nausea, no sleepiness, and no weirdness.

According to my sister's doctor, the trick is that the ginger has to react in your mouth, not just your stomach, so pills don't help much.

I start out eating real ginger candies on the way to the ship (Chimes from World Market or Amazon are good--some folks like GinGins, but the Chimes come in different flavors), then on ship, as soon as the sushi bar opens, get a saki cup full of their pickled ginger. It's surprisingly hot at first, but the flavor kind of grows on you. And unlike hot peppers, the heat dissipates quickly. It's great to grab a cup on the way to the MDR--especially if you are in the aft dining room where it can be pretty bumpy--and munch away.

I was so pleasantly surprised at how well it works with no side effects.

My aunt is an avid fisherwoman! She swears by Marazine (which is an OTC med, available at drugstores in her area of Oregon (tho not in SF or LA or HNL, when we checked). She mailed us some, which we did use before we went on her fishing boat on the river. We took it an hour beforehand & we were all fine on the boat, even tho H gets queasy on amusement parks (especially roller coasters or things that spin). She said things should settle after the 1st day or two on board, so you won't need the medication after that.

We have heard taking one capsule of ginger/day (purchased at any market, pharmacy or health food store) for a month before you cruise & throughout your cruise is supposed to prevent sea sickness, but don't know.

We like pickled ginger, so may go & get some to snack on from the sushi bar as well--thanks for the tip!

My mom & brother think the seabands are helpful & inexpensive, but I'm not sure they really DO anything. Don't know anyone who has tried the patch. Antihistimines & meclazine & other meds CAN make many drowsy and/or drugged, so it sounds like a trade off.

im a fan of meclizine... for those who get drowsy... take it at night

also if one is prone to "seasickness" start taking them 24 hrs before you sail.

I keep a bottle of 100 tabs 12.5 mg on the boat all the time for family who need them.

for people who suffer from vertigo.. they are often given a drug called Antivert , which is nothing more than 25mg of mechlizine ... just very expensive

I don't even know if I'd get seasick... I've used Sea Bands forever!!! I swear by them!!!

I do take them off for showering and on smooth days... and I have forgotten to put them back on... So maybe I wouldn't get seas sick... But they are WONDERFUL!!!

My daughter used the patch for her first cruise at 16 y/o... never since. And my 88 y/o Mom doesn't take anything.

My sister is highly sensitive to motion sickness, whereas I am the opposite: rarely motion sick, and can even read in motorized vehicles with little problem. She used Sea Bands on our last cruise and they worked for her like a miracle. No drugs, no side effects, and inexpensive. After all the rolling we did on that cruise, even my iron stomach started to feel sick, so I got a pair and tried them for myself. For me they also worked like a charm.

You might want to get some kind of narcotic back up, but I strongly recommend the seabands.

I have a unique allergy to antihistamines. So bendaryl is totally out for me.

Took them two years to figure that allergy out, they kept trying new antihistamine drugs, guess nobody was keeping track. Thank god for my GP - she was the only one to figure it out.

I will try the bonine again while I am home and may buy the patch as a back up plan.

Thanks again

Just so's ya know....Bonine/Meclizine is an antihistamine as well......

If I do much as handle a package of Gravol or it's generic counterparts I become extremely lethargic and have vivid hallucinations.

It is not fun -- and very dangerous especially on a ship.

I luckily do not really suffer from motion sickness but could use suggestions for my kids?

Where do you purchase a patch pkg for $20

I had my doctor write me a prescription and it was $90

Soon to be Mrs. Taddeo. 8-10-12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My wife did the patch....She got sick went to Ship Doctor and he told her she was having reaction from patch...Be careful.......Some can some can't.

Just wanted to add my two cents. I have a very bad problem with motion sickness, as others have also explained as well. I would have to say, without a doubt, the patches are my choice if I absolutely want to make sure I do not get sick. I have found no other form of medication as reliable.

With that being said, I believe that they are a better choice for a one day use. I have used them on dive boats in very rough seas and was the only person that didn't get sick. They work that well. But for extended periods, I find that they cause me more problems than they are worth. If I use them on a 7 day cruise, I might as well go to sleep for the entire 2nd day of each patch because it feels like I took about 5 Tranquilizers. I actually have to plan out which days I am going to be totally blah and not enjoy myself. Kinda wastes a couple of cruise days.

I am going to try the Bonine or generic on my upcoming cruise and see if it works. I will have patches on hand in case I have a problem. Better to be safe than sorry. Hope I don't need them.

Sorry for the long post.

Never cruised before and have been reading about all the different seas sickness meds.

Which one is best:

Bonine

The patch

Sea bands

ginger tablets

?????? thanks

Have tried them all, and have ranked them in order of my preference:

****Scopolamine patch -- THE BEST! One patch lasts for 3 days, so once it's on, it's on. Read directions carefully, especially the part about getting any of it in your eye. Take before you actually set sail.

***Bonine (aka meclizine) or Dramamine works well, but may make you sleepy; and mixing with alcohol not a good idea. Have to take frequently.

**Ginger tablets: mildly effective for routine rocking and rolling, but absolutely did NOT work when seas were high!

*Sea bands -- meh. No help to me at all.

Hope that helps

Archived