Is it possible to substitute a passenger?

Q-step

There is a chance I may have to cancel out of my crossing next week. A problem has come up at work that, if unresolved in the next few days, will keep me here when I should be out sailing the Atlantic. I am not a happy camper to say the least:(. And Mrs. Q-step is definitely not a happy girl:mad:.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of Cunard letting you substitute a passenger? And on short notice? That way I could send Mrs Q and one of her friends on the crossing. The ticket was a nonrefundable flash fare and I also purchased one-way airfare through Cunard via Virgin. I booked my ticket through Amex and I was going to give them a call. But I figured someone here may already have experience with this question.

I hope you bought travel insurance. I don't think they will let you make the change. And there's the complication of air tickets. Airlines are very sticky about name changes on tickets. There's a whole page of legalese that comes with the booking confirmation. I think includes something about bookings being nontransferrable.

We were able to change names on a booking many years ago, but that was pre-9-11 and all the security issues that caused, and we were well outside of final booking date.

All you can do is call Cunard or your TA, if you used one, and see what they say.

Don't know about Cunard, but here's the answer from Virgin Atlantic:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us/corporateandtrade/backstage/faq/namechange.jsp

Virgin Atlantic does not allow Name Changes on either Ticketed or Unticketed PNRs. Any Passenger Name Record that indicates a change to name details is auto cancelled. Only if a PNR name field requires a change of less than three letters that a) does not change the name completely and b) constitutes more than one change, will Virgin Atlantic provide authorization to avoid auto cancellation.

In these circumstances only, authorization can be gained by emailing theproducers@fly.virgin.com or calling Virgin Atlantic at 1-800-VIRGIN-1.

We changed one passenger for our 19 aug. crossing.

With regard to the airfare, we had booked an award ticket and had to pay $150 to re-deposit the miles and buy a ticket for the new passenger.

This was done a couple of weeks ago.

There is a chance I may have to cancel out of my crossing next week. A problem has come up at work that, if unresolved in the next few days, will keep me here when I should be out sailing the Atlantic. I am not a happy camper to say the least:(. And Mrs. Q-step is definitely not a happy girl:mad:.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of Cunard letting you substitute a passenger? And on short notice? That way I could send Mrs Q and one of her friends on the crossing. The ticket was a nonrefundable flash fare and I also purchased one-way airfare through Cunard via Virgin. I booked my ticket through Amex and I was going to give them a call. But I figured someone here may already have experience with this question.

FLASH FARE - that's the killer. No refunds, no name changes. But call anyway, perhaps offering to purchase a higher category. Sometimes that can work in a pinch.

Things are getting a little better at work. At least now I'm up to 60% chance of making this trip.

Cunard did not want to answer at hypothetical question about a name change for the crossing. But they sounded like a no. Virgin said no way. But our friend found a one-way tix to London for $800 so if I can't go at least my sub can get to the ship.

Mrs Q told me she would go alone if need be. It would not be the trip she had hoped for, but at least she would have a week of spa treatments, dancing with the hosts, tea & scones and lectures while I stewed here in the office about having to stay home.

(FYI-The work problem is that our envelope printing company printed an incorrect bar code on our return envelopes. We had 4,000 pieces of mail that were misdirected through the postal system and didn't get to us. This translates into about $2.5 million dollars in revenue that is lost in postal limbo. Postal automation is making it hard for them to catch and redirect the mail back to us. A lot of postal workers are helping me resolve the issue even though it is not their fault. While staying home will do nothing to solve the problem, it will send the right message to my clients who right now are not that happy with me.)

Archived