rough waters in the Mediterranean?

karen of PA

We are leaving in several days to tour the Eastern Mediterranean on the Equinox. So excited! We have learned so much on this website.

We usually start taking bonine a few days before a cruise and continue to take it throughout the trip and have never had a problem with seasickness. We have only ever cruised in the Atlantic and the Caribbean so we sometimes deal high waves.

Does the Eastern Mediterranean ever have rough waters? If not, then we will skip the bonine on this trip.

Thanks so much,

Karen

We were just on the Mediterranean and the waters were smooth. The heat, however, was stifling. Bring a water bottle with you and keep yourself hydrated. There were more than a few cases of heatstroke on our Solstice cruise and you do not want that happening to you! Carry sunscreen with you because you'll be sweating it off as you're in port (gross but true).

I wouldn't skip the Bonine. Why take the chance? It's no big deal to take it.

We are leaving in several days to tour the Eastern Mediterranean on the Equinox. So excited! We have learned so much on this website.

We usually start taking bonine a few days before a cruise and continue to take it throughout the trip and have never had a problem with seasickness. We have only ever cruised in the Atlantic and the Caribbean so we sometimes deal high waves.

Does the Eastern Mediterranean ever have rough waters? If not, then we will skip the bonine on this trip.

Thanks so much,

Karen

I also take Bonine, starting the night before a cruise. It's easy to take and doesn't interfere with our lives! I would take it on ANY cruise. You never know when the waters will decide to act up! Have fun!

P.S. I just realized you said Eastern. Greek Islands? It could be very windy, so the water could get very rough. My brother sailed the Greek Islands last month and one night was really difficult.

Last summer our daughter cruised in the Mediterranean. Every day but one the seas were calm. But on that one day it was extremely rough seas and many passengers were sick. So, you never know what you will encounter. If you take Bonine routinely while cruising and you don't get side effects why not take it as a precaution?

Thanks so much,

Karen

We did the eastern Med. in Oct. of 2008 and the seas were like glass. The weeks before and after us were not so lucky. You just can never tell what to expect with the seas on any cruise, or any body of water. The only time I have been seasick was on an Alaskan cruise on Princess. It really is the luck of the draw. The Bonine should do the trick but take it before you set sail. Good Luck!

We have cruised the Bay of Biscay, the Tasman Sea and crossed the Atlantic. The roughest day we ever experienced was in the Mediterranean. DH was really sea sick and he is an avid sailor in a 22ft sailboat. I hate small boats and have never considered myself a good sailor, but I wasn't sick at all. In six Mediterranean cruises since then, the water has been like glass. I guess the answer is 'You never know'!!

Sheila

I am not certain if this is true, but I understand that the Med. has essentially no tides; hence rough conditions would be from other factors such as wind, heavy rain etc.

The absolutely worst storms we have ever encountered were going in and out of Barcelona (our favorite port) in both directions several different cruises. The entire ship was seasick including those on the bridge.:(

The absolutely worst storms we have ever encountered were going in and out of Barcelona (our favorite port) in both directions several different cruises. The entire ship was seasick including those on the bridge.:(
The Grand Princess had her Bow door ripped off on the way tor Rome just before her TA about 3 Years ago.

Take the same precautions in the Med that you would take anywhere else. Weather is not predictable. I've been seasick on every cruise i've taken in the med. bad days happen everywhere unfortunately.

Have fun on the equinox. Was on her in October, great ship!

Archived