Advice on getting from Port to Airport in Rome

Lynnewob

Would anyone be able to advise me please as to how to get from the ship to Rome Airport (FCO) to catch a BA flight back to Heathrow.

I have had a booking for my August trip for a long time and we were initially allocated a 1710 charter flight but were told when booking it would depart at approx 1500 hrs. I asked them if the flight could be changed to the 1335 available and was told they couldn't because the charter had to be filled first but have held 50 seats on the 1335 just in case that fills up. I telephoned every two weeks to try to be put on this flight but to no avail.

Eventually, I got through and typically there was on 1 seat left when we needed 2. As we are both back at work on the Friday, we couldn't take the later flight as it's still a 2 hr drive back from LHR and felt the earlier flight wouldn't work due to an early work start the next day.

I asked if Cunard would allocate a further seat but they said no. They wouldn't remove my flight cost of the booking and I eventually had to bite the bullet and book husband onto the 1 remaining seat and paid for 1 seat on the same flight directly with BA for myself. I've written to Cunard to ask if they would give any OBC for the flight cost and also could they transfer me with my husband on the coach going to the airport. They have said no to both.

I therefore now need to leave him with all the luggage and get myself to the airport by train which I understand is the cheapest way to get there.

If someone could please let me know where I've got to go when I disembark to get to the train station and the approx cost to get into Rome and where to go after I get off the train in Rome and how to the get the airport from there, I would really appreciate it. If everything is just a short walk between places, it's not a problem - I'm fit and healthy and can do the necessary walk as I won't have any luggage!

Hubby can then wait for me at the airport or even vice versa depending when I get off the ship.

Can anyone please assist as I'm at my wits end as to what to do.

Many thanks

Lynne

Hi, Lynne, sorry for your return air issues. I recently participated in a thread that's not quite on point, but over the course of the posts, addresses most everything you need to know to get started sorting out your transfer from the ship to FCO. Click here and note my post there and the embedded link to a page all about the train connection.

If you can manage your luggage and get off the ship quite early, you will have no problem. However, please do research and have a Plan B in place in the unlikely event disembarkation is delayed, there's a train strike, etc.

Bon voyage. :)

There is usually airport transfers available to buy once on-board.

We did Rome in May but used taxis as we were told the trains can be a bit hit and miss from the Port, maybe taking a taxi with your husband might be the less stressful way? Rome cabs offer a great service.

Jason

I agree with Jason12. Stefano at Rome Cabs runs a great operation. Is it more than lugging all your gear on and off a train? Yes. Is Cunard more expensive than Carnival??:eek: Stefano and his crew are very dependable and you can relax and be delivered, luggage and all, right to the front door. You will have enough stress and aggravation to deal with once inside FCO.:eek::D

the cheapest way is by train. you can pre book online and get a train to Termini and from there you can bore a cheap bus to the airport. No hassle at all and very inexpensive. Google why you want and you will easily find it. Hope you find it, book it and then sit back and relax.

Thanks that really helps.

I'll self disembark (with no luggage) which is usually just before 8.30am and let hubby disembark with everyone else when it's time to get on the coach with the luggage so timing shouldn't be a problem I was more concerned with how to get to the train immediately after i walked down the ramp off the ship, which train to catch (and cost), which station to get off at in Rome and where to go after I get off the train to the airport.

Thanks again - it'll be an adventure.

I'm not sure what time the port shuttle starts running- I assume for self-help debarkation, but I'm not sure. The train station is about a 15-minute walk from the port entrance where the shuttle stops. You can get both regional and Inter City trains- I think 2nd class starts about 5 euros.

The Leonardo Express (14 euros) leaves from Termini- the opposite corner, a long walk (it's a big station) but not difficult.

Cheaper regional trains leave from Ostiense, a smaller station which I found much easier to navigate, and less worrisome regarding pickpockets.

Nobody mentioned the cost of the private transfer so it's hard to say which would be better for you. But it's possible you might beat your husband to the airport.

I'm not sure what time the port shuttle starts running- I assume for self-help debarkation, but I'm not sure. The train station is about a 15-minute walk from the port entrance where the shuttle stops. You can get both regional and Inter City trains- I think 2nd class starts about 5 euros.

The Leonardo Express (14 euros) leaves from Termini- the opposite corner, a long walk (it's a big station) but not difficult.

Cheaper regional trains leave from Ostiense, a smaller station which I found much easier to navigate, and less worrisome regarding pickpockets.

Nobody mentioned the cost of the private transfer so it's hard to say which would be better for you. But it's possible you might beat your husband to the airport.

Self-disembarkation starts at about 7:00 am, and shuttle buses are already available to take you to the entrance to the port. Then out the entrance, turn right and just follow the crowd walking in a straight line to the Civitavecchia train station. Even the taxi drivers at the port entrance will tell you to walk rather than take the taxi.

What I would do is take the first express train to Rome Stazione Termini station, and from there, take the Leonardo Da Vinci express train to Fiumicino airport (14 euros, can purchase at any kiosk or 7-11 type store). I think the track number is 28 at Rome ST (but ask). Be sure when taking the train to "validate" your purchased ticket at yellow ticket validation boxes prior to boarding the train. And check which terminal at Fiumicino your flight departs from.

There's one or two other ways by train to get to FCO, by changing at Ostiense or Trastevere, as Dancer Bob, has said. But I would do the above. And if you disembark by 7:00 am, you should have plenty of time to get to FCO in time for your 13:35 pm flight.

Archived