I'm thinking of taking an Alaska cruise...

SnowshoeCat

I woke up at 6am yesterday and thought, "How about a cruise to Alaska?" So within an hour I was researching my options :D

I'll visit the "ports" board later on, but now I'm just wondering how to choose a cruise. I spent a week in Anchorage a few years ago, so I think I'm okay with an Inside Passage cruise. I'm a solo traveller and was surprised to find a few that were reasonably priced, mostly on NCL and RCCL. They all made the usual Juneau/Skagway/Ketchikan circuit, although the time in port varied somewhat. This is the kind of cruise where I want to go ashore and explore.

Then I found one that skipped Ketchikan, and spent a whole day in Victoria. I've always heard that it's a beautiful city and though it would be nice to have more than just a few hours, I think, to walk around. This particular cruise, though, would be about $700 more than the others, just to include Victoria. It still seemed to be a reasonably priced all-inclusive Alaska vacation.

I would loved to be showered with information and thoughts about itineraries, ships (I think I prefer the not-so-mega-ships) and time of year (I prefer off-season. No need to travel in the summer. How's May?) Thanks - I'm looking forward to replies!

We did the Celebrity Millenium 2 summers ago (August) from Seward to Vancouver and did a 3 night post-cruise in Vancouver.

Absolutely fantastic, and we very much dislike the big ships.

Aside, I have been to Victoria on a non-cruise trip and if I could add that port vs. Ketchikan, it would be a no-brainer. :)

In addition to looking at ports, you might want to look at which glacier(s) the ship goes to. Many only sail to Tracy Arm, and while it is beautiful, often ships are unable to go far enough in to see the glaciers. Glacier Bay sailings offer guaranteed glacier viewing, and many people find it much superior to Tracy Arm.

I'm about to leave on my 5th cruise to Alaska (3 days!) and absolutely love it! Be sure to visit the Alaska port of call board. LOTS of useful information over there.

If I were you, I would try HAL. They will have good rates and the option to "match" you with another traveler, if you wish. Plus, they have the most Alaska experience.

I woke up at 6am yesterday and thought, "How about a cruise to Alaska?" So within an hour I was researching my options :D

I'll visit the "ports" board later on, but now I'm just wondering how to choose a cruise. I spent a week in Anchorage a few years ago, so I think I'm okay with an Inside Passage cruise. I'm a solo traveller and was surprised to find a few that were reasonably priced, mostly on NCL and RCCL. They all made the usual Juneau/Skagway/Ketchikan circuit, although the time in port varied somewhat. This is the kind of cruise where I want to go ashore and explore.

Then I found one that skipped Ketchikan, and spent a whole day in Victoria. I've always heard that it's a beautiful city and though it would be nice to have more than just a few hours, I think, to walk around. This particular cruise, though, would be about $700 more than the others, just to include Victoria. It still seemed to be a reasonably priced all-inclusive Alaska vacation.

I would loved to be showered with information and thoughts about itineraries, ships (I think I prefer the not-so-mega-ships) and time of year (I prefer off-season. No need to travel in the summer. How's May?) Thanks - I'm looking forward to replies!

Did it, loooooved it ! Will do it again. Went in September, had fabulous sunny warm weather, heard it was bad the weeks before...

when I go again , I will do so when the days are longer, so more time to look at ocean ( whales, orcas etc) and scenery.

Have a great cruise.

In addition to looking at ports, you might want to look at which glacier(s) the ship goes to. Many only sail to Tracy Arm, and while it is beautiful, often ships are unable to go far enough in to see the glaciers.

This is particularly true, apparently, in May - the ice may not be fully melted by then.

Archived