turning 40 & want to choose the right cruise

adaptabledan

Hi all,

I am looking for a cruise with singles on it but not a "singles group cruise". I know many of you are going on the Halloween cruise and I do wish you fun but I did it last year and never again. It is like a highschool reunion where every one knows each other but still acts like high school kids. To many people trying to impress or one up each other. Not the best experience.:mad:

I am asking for advice on what 7 day Caribbean cruise to take in Sept or Oct that will have singles onboard so I don't feel out of place. I am a straight male looking to have a fun yet more of an upscale experience than Carnival.

I appreciate all suggestions from the veteran cruisers out there.

Dan

Hi Dan:) I have been sailing solo for 2 years now. (See my list below). I don't look for "singles" but that is just me.

I enjoy meeting all kinds of people and my favorite cruiseline is Celebrity. It is a bit more refined and I love the pampering they provide.

I am not going to the Caribbean in Oct but will be sailing on the Summit to the Mexican Riveria. Sailing out of LA for a week.

I am going with some friends from these boards and you are more than welcome to join us.

This time I am actually sharing a cabin~going with a girlfriend whose hubby can't take off at this time.

And another gal whose hubby is passing too but she is bringing her son (he is about 9) and another couple who I am friends with who live in California.

Just giving you an idea of different people who sail Celebrity.

I don't know of other singles on this sailing but I ALWAYS have a great time whenever I cruise.

Hope you find what you are looking for:)

Thank you Lois as I do appreciate your feedback. I will give celebrity a good look. I appreciate the Mexico invite but i really want to go back to the Caribbean as i just love the islands. I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

Dan

Have a good time Dan:) I have been to the Caribbean about 5 times. Actually, the ship is more my destination than the Islands so I would sail there again too!

You are turning 40? I was just 47 and spent it on a cruiseship:D the best place in the world for a birthday!!!

Dan,

I agree with Lois that Celeb is a good choice but the single supplement is a killer. You may want to look at Seabourn. If you book far enough in advance a Run of the Ship guarantee the single supplement is only 110%.

The ships are all-inclusive including liquor and tips, all suites and gourmet food.

200 guest and a crew of 198 so you can guess what the service is like.

Join us on the Seabourn board and you will get a feel for what it is like.

mcboo:):):)

Hi all,

I am looking for a cruise with singles on it but not a "singles group cruise". I know many of you are going on the Halloween cruise and I do wish you fun but I did it last year and never again. It is like a highschool reunion where every one knows each other but still acts like high school kids. To many people trying to impress or one up each other. Not the best experience.:mad:

I am asking for advice on what 7 day Caribbean cruise to take in Sept or Oct that will have singles onboard so I don't feel out of place. I am a straight male looking to have a fun yet more of an upscale experience than Carnival.

I appreciate all suggestions from the veteran cruisers out there.

Dan

We have several single men and women in our very very diverse group on the Caribbean Princess on Sept. 17, 2005! The link to information about pricing and our group message board is right below the "Caribbean Princess" banner with the champagne glass! This is a fun group but definitely not "Carnival" and PC dining makes it easy to dine with whom you want and when.. People from all over the US and Canada in the group and we'd love to have you join us. Single supplement isn't bad either:)

Hi Dan:) lots of us love to cruise LOL

This is just some food for thought. Mcboo's suggestion is for a true "LUXURY LINE"

very small ship~more like a "Yacht". Hi Mcboo:D

The Caribbean Princess is a GIANT ship......she holds close to 3200 passengers.

Just so you realize the different spectrums of cruising.

The largest ship I have been on was Constellation, which is Celebrity's largest ship and she holds 1950 people.

So, you have a alot of choices:)

• 1 month later...

I've cruised solo a few times, Carnival and HAL. Next solo cruise is the Sept 17th Caribbean Princess Cruise Critic group cruise. I've also cruised 'non-solo' on Carnival, NCL and RCCL, next 'non-solo' is on the Star Princess in March.

There is no 'right' cruise line as each line is different, ie Seabourn small luxury vs. Princess large mass market etc. Personally, I prefer (so far) HAL for my solo trips and RCCL for our family trips.

You might want to visit the cruise line websites or get their brochures and that will give you an idea of how each line tries to position itself, and see if you find a good fit.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how far you plan ahead but I just booked a single cabin on Freedom of the Seas for 10/16/06. It is not a ship I would normally choose as I prefer my ships in the 60,000-90,000 GTR range but it is both a CC cruise and C&A Members (RCI's past guest program) sailing and these are terrific!

That size of ship will attract singles, IME, and RCI is a big step up from the spring break atmosphere on Carnival, IMHO.

I will be having a big birthday in April this year and would most definitely prefer to spend it aboard a ship but it is during the Easter holiday and I dislike sailing with too many kids. October will be my belated celebration!

• 4 weeks later...

There are two singles already booked on the August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess CC group cruise and a third is considering. You get the group pricing and the single supplement is 150%. You can do as much or as little as the group--you don't have to particpate in group activities, but you'll still get the group pricing and amenities

Going with a Cruise Critic group does enable you to meet people ahead of time online and also a group to meet on the ship. There is also the opportunity to share excursions.

I would also be glad to act as a clearinghouse if any singles book who would like to share a room. I won't put people together, but I'm glad to let the other singles that contact me about booking or that read the group forum message board know if any other singles who have booked would like to share a room. This would only be done if a single asked me to pass on such information. You could also post on the group message forum board.

Archived