Is Jewel of the Seas Kid Friendly?

We are looking at a cruise next March on the Jewel of the Seas. I have three boys who will be 9, 6, 4. I know that the Jewel of the Seas is a smaller ship, but I am hoping that there are enough kids activities to keep them happy.

Has anyone taken kids on a Radiance Class ship? Are there pools geared toward kids, decent kids programs and other families?

We are looking at a cruise next March on the Jewel of the Seas. I have three boys who will be 9, 6, 4. I know that the Jewel of the Seas is a smaller ship, but I am hoping that there are enough kids activities to keep them happy.

Has anyone taken kids on a Radiance Class ship? Are there pools geared toward kids, decent kids programs and other families?

I would say your kids would have fun but their are much better kid friendly ships out there.

I believe Jewel does had a kid pool with a waterslide. There is sports court, rock climbing wall, and a kids club (with arcades and other activities).

Jewel and sister Radiance class ships are hardly "small"...they aren't as large as Oasis, but they are quite large, nonetheless!

Your kids will have PLENTY to do! No fear! The kid's pool is lovely, as long as everyone is toilet-trained!!!! The main pool is for anyone...the adult pool is enclosed (and useless, IMO!)...under 16 can't use that pool. The sports deck is big, and the kid's club is great on ALL the ships.

If they aren't happy on this ship, it would be the last time they'd cruise!!!

Jewel and sister Radiance class ships are hardly "small"...they aren't as large as Oasis, but they are quite large, nonetheless!

Your kids will have PLENTY to do! No fear! The kid's pool is lovely, as long as everyone is toilet-trained!!!! The main pool is for anyone...the adult pool is enclosed (and useless, IMO!)...under 16 can't use that pool.

Many of us find the Radiance class ships' solariums to be among their best features allowing us to use the pool or read, relax and enjoy the ocean vies in climate-controlled comfort regardless of the weather. In inclement weather or when outside temperatures are too low to be conducive to families using either the outside pool or the kids pool, families are provided with access to the Solarium for a few hours in the morning and in the afternoon. I guess "useless" is in the eye of the beholder and sometimes applies to the "information" provided by posters who feel that they are the arbiters of everything and that their opinions trump those of everyone else.

I went on the Jewel a few years ago, but I was 9 at the time! There were ALWAYS fun kids activities going on at Adventure Ocean, and we went during our spring break (late March/ early April) so there were lots of other kids on board. Looking back, the Jewel was my absolute favorite ship, your kids will have a blast!

My son was 6.5 a few years back when we went on the Jewel. As stated before they have a waterslide which he enjoyed and a basketball court which he loved. I can't remember if they had a mini golf course. Obviously the pools are not as big as Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class but it was his first cruise and he enjoyed it.

My son was 6.5 a few years back when we went on the Jewel. As stated before they have a waterslide which he enjoyed and a basketball court which he loved. I can't remember if they had a mini golf course. Obviously the pools are not as big as Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class but it was his first cruise and he enjoyed it.

There is a mini-golf course on Jewel along with a rock wall, arcade and the other features you mentioned. No zip line, flowrider, or ice rink, but the kids will not be without things to enjoy and to keep them occupied.

Our son loved the kids activities on the Radiance which is Jewel's sister ship. We went on Radiance to Alaska last summer. He asked to go on another cruise over going back to Disneyworld. So we are booked on the Jewel again for this October for the New England/Canada itinerary.

We are booked in the family oceanview room 8002 which has the same square footage as a junior suite. It has a large window. There's a side room with 2 twin beds in it with a dresser and kids closet. And there's a curtain you can pull shut. The website says a minimum number of passengers may be required to book. However, we are a family of 3 and it's the second cruise that we've had in this category. (the sofa also is a sofa bed).

Have fun planning your trip.

Yes, yes, yes. One of the best times our DS 8 has ever had on a cruise (and he has been on 9 including DCL) took place on the Jewel. In fact, he wants to go again so he can see his favorite Adventure Ocean staffer Crazy Carlos. He had no problems finding things to do. Of course, we could rarely get him out of Adventure Ocean, but he did enjoy the slide and the pool. The ship is beautiful, and we adults had a relaxing time too.

We're on the Jewel out of Tampa for Spring Break 2013, our kids will be ages 7 and 9. Last cruise we were on was DCL, during Spring Break 2010. This will be an interesting comparison - we really liked DCL, but I'm looking forward to being back on RC (husband and I cruised RC prior to having kids. and just loved it). Good luck! I figure any day on a cruise is more exciting than a day at home, so I am really looking forward to the excursion. :)

Archived