Question about minors traveling on RCI?

Scenario:

Father wants to take minor child on a RCI cruise and is divorced from the mother of said child but the child's last name is the same as the father.

Does he need a notarized letter of permission from the mother?

Not sure if it matters but they have joint custody. Getting the letter would not be a problem.

I'm trying to help a friend book a cruise for him and his two daughters and am unclear of the permission requirement.

I took my minor children on a cruise (and they had a different last name as me since I was remarried). I didn't need a letter. Do they have passports? Passports for minor children can only issued if either 1. both parents are present or 2. notarized letter of consent of non-present parent. If they have passports then they are definitely all set I would think.

I took my minor children on a cruise (and they had a different last name as me since I was remarried). I didn't need a letter. Do they have passports? Passports for minor children can only issued if either 1. both parents are present or 2. notarized letter of consent of non-present parent. If they have passports then they are definitely all set I would think.

yes, the minor child will have a Passport :)

yes, the minor child will have a Passport :)

I would most certainly have the letter. I think RCCL may have a "form" letter you can use that will ensure you get it all right. Contact your vacation planner for assistance. Good luck.

Since they are traveling with only one parent, some zealous processing agent at the port might start asking questions. If the letter is easily obtainable, get it just in case.

Even though both parents have to consent to a child obtaining a passport, that does not mean that they have consented to all possible travel using that passport. I wouldn't assume the passport alone will be OK.

Scenario:

Father wants to take minor child on a RCI cruise and is divorced from the mother of said child but the child's last name is the same as the father.

Does he need a notarized letter of permission from the mother?

Not sure if it matters but they have joint custody. Getting the letter would not be a problem.

I'm trying to help a friend book a cruise for him and his two daughters and am unclear of the permission requirement.

...Similar situation with a friend on our next cruise...

Friends A & B are married with minor-aged DD from previous marrige with name of biological father. Also wants to bring friend of DD whom is not related in any way to anyone...

So, letter for the one DD from her father allowing her to go... How about friend? Letter signed by both of her parents to go with us???

For the OP's question - Letter from other parent allowing travel. Chance they will ask is slim but it does happen. Having a passport is not the same as permission to travel - a lot can change in 5 years

Taking unrelated child - both parents need to sign, RCCL website states it should include authorization for medical care and supervise/sign waivers.

In both cases signatures should be notarized

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

...Similar situation with a friend on our next cruise...

Friends A & B are married with minor-aged DD from previous marrige with name of biological father. Also wants to bring friend of DD whom is not related in any way to anyone...

So, letter for the one DD from her father allowing her to go... How about friend? Letter signed by both of her parents to go with us???

I would get a letter for the daughter just in case. I would also get a letter for the friend along with a waiver saying you can make medical decisions for the daughter in the event she gets hurt/sick and the parents can't be reached.

Get a letter. My husband and I have 3 children. In April I took them on a trip from Michigan (home) to Canada. My husband had to work so he could not go (we are married).

All 3 kids have passports and the same last name as me. I was stopped at the border and questioned. It took about 15 minutes. The reason for the delay - I did not have a note saying I could take the kids out of the country.

A note is not required but it does make things easier. Once through I had my husband scan a note (with his signature) and I printed it at the hotel. I cruised through the border on the way back.

The issue of having a letter of consent to travel from a non travelling parent comes up most frequently when crossing into Canada and Mexico.

A child having a passport is a completely separate issue from the consent to travel. People say that both parents needed to agree and be present or sign for the children to have a passport so that should be enough. Well, those passports are good for 5 years and a lot happens in that time frame. My kids got their new passports (renewals) last July. H and I were present. FF to today, a year later. We are in the midst of a nasty divorce. They still have passports, but he could absolutely say that he does not agree to my taking the kids out of the country, and without a letter of consent, could get me stopped.

Get the letter if at all possible. They may never ask for it, but I always know that I have it JUST IN CASE.

As for the non related friend, you'll need a letter signed and notarized by BOTH parents giving you permission to take the child, plus giving you authority to make medical decisions on the child's behalf if needed.

Any parent traveling with their kids by themselves can be prevented from taking their kids out of the country if they do not have a notarized letter from the other parent. While sometimes you do not get asked, other times I have seen vacations ruined when kids are denied boarding on a cruise ship or airplane. (Even with married parents taking different flights with kids to the same destination).

Archived