excursions in Med.

momtotwins14

Anyone have any reviews (good or bad) about excursions set up on their own in the Med. We are taking our first Med cruise in Oct and trying to figure out best groups/tours etc is a little daunting to say the least. Have tried to find on own but thought a new thread would put all info in one place.

Any must sees for those who have travelled Med before? Also any don't bothers?

Getting excited and appreciate any and all suggestions.

Chris

Anyone have any reviews (good or bad) about excursions set up on their own in the Med. We are taking our first Med cruise in Oct and trying to figure out best groups/tours etc is a little daunting to say the least. Have tried to find on own but thought a new thread would put all info in one place.

Chris

My husband and I went on a Med cruise last year....although it was with NCL. But I did do a review and have pics of the ports we went to with a couple of private excursions and did Barcelona totally on our own.

This was the most difficult cruise we have ever planned for!!!

I'm not sure which ports you are going to but hopefully this helps if some are the same. We sailed out of Barcelona to Livorno (Pisa, Tuscany,Florence), Civitavecchia (Rome), Naples (Pompei, Positano, Sorrento) and Palma, Spain.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1427923

I arranged all private tours based on recommendations from the ports of call board here. Tons of info there, and you can ask questions about your specific wants/needs. The nice thing is that the tour companies are very keen to keep cruise critic and trip advisor clients happy in order to avoid a poor review, which would really harm their business. We got to choose our own itinerary and go at our own pace. We had a fantastic time and the cost of the private tour was usually less than the big bus ship tour.

All the best,

Mia

We went on the Magic last fall in the Mediterranean and had a fantastic time with the tours we set up with Joe Banana Limos. We were doing back to back cruises so the first 9 day cruise for the port for Rome..we took the train into the city from the port and we had pre-bought our tickets for the Vatican; so we did that and then made our way on foot over to the Collesium. The second time we were in Rome, we had a private golf cart tour of the city from the train station...it was fabulous.

I have a review of Joe Banana on Trip Advisor..search there, and also the ports of call here has wonderful information about tours. My personal experience with Joe was what made our cruises so awesome, we didnt have to worry about a thing and he took care of all the details and was so easy to communicate with back and forth. Other groups on our cruises booked him for different tours that we had arranged..so much to see and do, and so little time. The Chianti region tour was amazing with his driver...so funny and such beautiful countryside to see. We did Cinque Terre with Joe and it was a gorgeous day and the scenery from the villages was superb. We also did the Amalfi coast with Joe and he took us to a great restaurant and we all had a wonderful time. Good luck and enjoy the research...please let me know if you want any specific information that I might be able to help with.

Lori

www.joebananalimos.com

It sure cant hurt to send him a request for information on tours that are on his website if you see anything that interests you. Get others from your roll call together with you for an even better price.

Chris

We went to the Med in October. You can read my review (RCCL) below. I would highly suggest Rome In Limo for Italy. We only used them in Rome, but wished we had used them in the other cities we visited! The ports section of this board has great ideas and reviews as well.

Best of luck to you!!!!

Chris

Are you on our cruise? if you are, hop on over to the roll call. I'm setting up tours for Monaco & Naples.

If you are doing Livorno & Citivatecchia, several tour providers have been discussed on the ports of call board. If you will be in Livorno on Monday,both the Uffizi and the Academia (David) are closed. I love Florence & would go see the Duomo, the Laurentian library with steps sculpted by Michelangelo, the Ponte Vecchio and the market.

We used limoinrome last year and had a great time. Wished we would have used them in other cities. Never paid before they returned us on time back at the Magic. We did buy our tickets for the Vatican online to avoid the line there. Saw more and walked less due to the mini van getting into smaller places. Also got to stop at the Hard Rock in Rome. Could see what you wanted.

Thanks everyone for the input. I will check the port of calls and the roll call (just overwhelming amount of info on both boards to comb thru).

We are going to Barcelona, Monaco, Livorna, Rome, Naples, Dubrovnik, Venice, Messina and then back to Barcelona. Departing on Oct 25th on Carnival Breeze.

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports for great advice on what you can see in the time available, and how to do it on your own. He covers all of your ports except Messina. He has free audio tour downloads on his website for ipod/mp3, along with maps to follow. EM

Archived