Carnival shares

No, it doesn't.

that's good... I just set up a trade account in both our names and then thought maybe I should have done it in one.... now to work the rest out...

I guess that also means if we are doing a back to back we will get the credit for both cruises....

that's good... I just set up a trade account in both our names and then thought maybe I should have done it in one.... now to work the rest out...

I guess that also means if we are doing a back to back we will get the credit for both cruises....

You will get credit for both cruises only if they were individually booked and have different booking numbers. That's how we always book ours. If you didn't, you now know for future reference.

Great thread and very pertinent to us as we were thinking about buying shares too.

Our friends in the States cruise around 4 times per year and have had their shares for around 4-5 years and they say that the shares have paid for themselves in OBC.

And as others have noted, if you do B2B cruises, it's more beneficial in terms of OBC to book each segment separately to take advantage of the OBC with the shares.

On our last big cruise, I met a US couple on board who ended up getting something like $900 OBC per cruise with all the OBC from the TA and Princess as part of the cruise price / deal, shareholder benefits and military benefits etc.

I did ring Carnival Australia a few weeks ago and they told me that the benefits of shares (ie, OBC) could be used on any Carnival line cruise ship both here and O/S. The rep said that I should send via email (?) a copy of my shareholders certificate around 3 weeks prior to sailing.

I think regardless of whether or not you cruise extensively, and irrespective of any maritime disasters, you can't "lose" money especially if you take advantage of the OBC.

Great thread and very pertinent to us as we were thinking about buying shares too.

Our friends in the States cruise around 4 times per year and have had their shares for around 4-5 years and they say that the shares have paid for themselves in OBC.

And as others have noted, if you do B2B cruises, it's more beneficial in terms of OBC to book each segment separately to take advantage of the OBC with the shares.

On our last big cruise, I met a US couple on board who ended up getting something like $900 OBC per cruise with all the OBC from the TA and Princess as part of the cruise price / deal, shareholder benefits and military benefits etc.

I did ring Carnival Australia a few weeks ago and they told me that the benefits of shares (ie, OBC) could be used on any Carnival line cruise ship both here and O/S. The rep said that I should send via email (?) a copy of my shareholders certificate around 3 weeks prior to sailing.

I think regardless of whether or not you cruise extensively, and irrespective of any maritime disasters, you can't "lose" money especially if you take advantage of the OBC.

Us, right? :D And sometimes more.

I wouldn't say that. Certainly if you cruise extensively you're less likely to, but Carnival shares have been around $40 a year ago, so the direct value of a 100 shares is about $700 less now than if you had bought then, plus you have probably about $200 in brokerage costs to cover.

You will get credit for both cruises only if they were individually booked and have different booking numbers. That's how we always book ours. If you didn't, you now know for future reference.

bugger the back to back are on the same booking no .... hmm I wonder if you can change it....

This sounds like a good deal and am starting the process to get our E*Trade account to go global. So, for a cruise we have booked online through an overseas TA, which will occur in Europe, we should FAX all our documents to the USA Carnival FAX number noted in the other thread? I'm presuming Australia Princess doesn't deal with it due to being a European cruise?

Thank you to everyone who has provided the information on this thread. As Carnival own so many different cruise lines, it is going to be worth it for us. And maybe, after we buy, even the share price might rise! :p

Edited by Pushka

I wouldn't say that. Certainly if you cruise extensively you're less likely to, but Carnival shares have been around $40 a year ago, so the direct value of a 100 shares is about $700 less now than if you had bought then, plus you have probably about $200 in brokerage costs to cover.

Sorry I should have clarified ... our friends in the US cruise about 4 times each year and have held their shares for around 4-5 years and they reckon that they it has "more than paid" for itself. They don't worry about the effects of disasters such as the Costa Concordia nor the effects of the stock market. They said that week the shares went down to $26 but within a short time were back up to what they paid .. around the $30 mark.

I was thinking "not losing" in terms of ... if you get the benefit out of the shares at - say at least 4 per year, if it was my friends in the US - and they would get far more OBC than they pay out in brokerage fees pa, and if they wanted to sell their shares now, they'd get back at least what they paid for them and in the meantime have benefitted to the tune of up to $1000 per year in OBC.

bugger the back to back are on the same booking no .... hmm I wonder if you can change it....

You probably could, but it would have to be a cancel and rebook and you might lose your cabin and probably pay more in the long run. Unless both legs have gone down drastically, I doubt it would pay to do it.

If you're paying high brokerage fees, then your have your securities in the wrong place. We learned that many years ago and switched it all to Fidelity. Cost is only $7.95 per trade no matter what it is.

If you're paying high brokerage fees, then your have your securities in the wrong place. We learned that many years ago and switched it all to Fidelity. Cost is only $7.95 per trade no matter what it is.

This is an Australian forum. You pay more outside your home market, so as these are on the US exchange, the few local brokerages tend to charge $70 up for the option. It's similar in the US - I don't know if you can trade Australian shares with Fidelity, but those brokerages that offer international share trading will mostly charge more than US$7.95...

This is an Australian forum. You pay more outside your home market, so as these are on the US exchange, the few local brokerages tend to charge $70 up for the option. It's similar in the US - I don't know if you can trade Australian shares with Fidelity, but those brokerages that offer international share trading will mostly charge more than US$7.95...

Sorry. I post in so many places I didn't realize where I was. :o

Wow, $200 in brokerage? $10 per order here

I bought in Jan with the low of 28.92 (Costa Concordia panic selling)

Sold in June, 34.58 (four cruises = $400 obc), plus dividends around 3%

For next year's cruises, have bought again 33.23, obc = $300

When you figure all the returns, this has been a good stock for me :)

Wow, $200 in brokerage? $10 per order here

But if you bought Australian shares from the USA the brokerage would be much more than $10!

Australians buying Australian shares pay brokerage from about $8 depending on the broker-client relationship.

But if you bought Australian shares from the USA the brokerage would be much more than $10!

Australians buying Australian shares pay brokerage from about $8 depending on the broker-client relationship.

Yes, the brokerage fees for buying the shares from NYSE for me is $69.00AU.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I am considering buying Carnival Shares.

Windsor 21 mentioned buying on the USA share market and won't have a problem relating to OBC.

I believe the UK share market gives the same benefits relating to OBC entitlements??

Also it was mentioned in another post brokerage was about $40,

Through Direct shares (St George) for 100 shares the fees and taxes are around $190.

Any commentsor clarifications appreciated

Regards

Norm

Hi all

I am considering buying Carnival Shares.

Windsor 21 mentioned buying on the USA share market and won't have a problem relating to OBC.

I believe the UK share market gives the same benefits relating to OBC entitlements??

Also it was mentioned in another post brokerage was about $40,

Through Direct shares (St George) for 100 shares the fees and taxes are around $190.

Any commentsor clarifications appreciated

Regards

Norm

I just went through the process of buying my shares.

I joined E Trade with the ANZ bank.

I then had to apply for Global Share Trading as the Carnival Shares are listed on the New York Stock Exchange.

This involved sending in an application form and notorised copies of my passport and both sides of my drivers Licence.

After I received notification my application went through I then logged into E Trade and put in my offer to buy the shares with CCL - this took about 3 days to action.

In total it took about 3 weeks for me to register and purchase my shares. Phew.... I am glad I did it though as now it is done and we will have many years of reaping the benefits of our OBC's.

Our brokerage fees were $59 as it was Global Trading. If they were local shares E Trade charges $19.95 per transaction.