Rollaway Bed for 5th passenger in 4-passenger cabin

rockbock

I'm not looking for pages of commentary on Carnival rules, personal ethics, or personal preference for two bathrooms vs. balcony. I just need feedback from anybody who has done this as to whether or not it worked.

I am booked in a Deluxe OV cabin with my family of 5 on the Dream. My parents decided to join us on this cruise. Since they have only traveled RCI in the past, I moved my daughter into their cabin in order to qualify them for the Past Guest rate. She will still be sleeping with my family in our cabin.

Here's the question:

With prices dropping rapidly, it looks like I might have an opportunity to upgrade to a balcony cabin at little to no cost if prices drop just a little more. If I do this, we will be in a 4-passenger cabin.

What are the chances of the room steward being willing to bring a rollaway into this cabin? I know it would be a tight fit, but I've traveled with the five of us in a small interior cabin on a Fantasy class ship already and it worked out just fine.

If I can get the balcony for the same price as the Deluxe OV, I think I'd prefer the balcony to the second bathroom in the OV cabin.

Worst case scenario, one of the kids can sleep in my parent's cabin or we will make due with five of us sharing four beds. But I'm curious about the rollaway chances.

There are no rollaways on Dream .. so your chances are nil and zero.

Only the older ships built by year 2000 were grandfathered in to allow rollaways to add a 5th pax.

I know they aren't a booking option, but I thought the ship still had them in storage for special situations (e.g., broken bed, etc.)

Also remember that when the USCG certifies the ship they do it based on passenger load/ratings, so if Carnival says a balcony will hold 4 that is what USCG uses in it's calculations. I don't think they would be willing to "bend" the rule, especially with the recent Costa Incident.

Archived